Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> It's official: Linux 3.0 released
redman
 Posted: Jul 27 2011, 01:46 PM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

Go crazy, folks! On Thursday, July 21, Linus Torvalds put a stake in the heart of the "bignum days" for the 2.6 kernel and took the wraps off Linux 3.0. While not a huge leap from 2.6.39, the release does have some changes worth eyeballing.

As mentioned at the start of the cycle for this kernel, the 3.0 milestone is not about major new features in the Linux kernel. Instead, the version bump was about getting rid of the increasingly large minor version numbers (like "2.6.39.x") and to acknowledge the kernel's 20th anniversary this year. Also because the voices in Linus' head told him it was time for a version bump. Good thing Linus listens to the voices, eh?

Now that we've gotten the big disclaimer out of the way, there have been a number of changes in Linux 3.0 worth taking note of if you're interested in Linux. If you've read this far, I'm guessing that you are.

The complete article can be read here.

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos - How to post images - How to post large text / config files

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
Laptop: ASUS X58L, Intel Dual-Core T3200, 3GB DDR2, Intel GMA X3100, RHEL7.0 x86_64
Test box: Intel S5000PSL, 2x Intel Xeon E5310, 8GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB, RHEL7 RC x86_64
PMEmail Poster
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 27 2011, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 224

Blimey, that's what I'd call real-time news! wink.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll