Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Sandy Bridge on SL 6.1 rolling, Not working
allanw
 Posted: Jul 25 2011, 03:52 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 520

I'm running Scientific Linux 6.1 rolling, which should have incorporated the changes from RHEL 6.1's new support for Sandy Bridge graphics: http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/96/html/6.1_Release_Notes/ar01s01.html. However, I can't get it to work. Using X -configure's generated file, I get the error:

(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

xorg.conf: http://pastebin.com/mUfcNa4g

Full log: http://pastebin.com/xnsM4VtJ

Any advice? Already tried elrepo's updated xorg-x11-drv-intel and libdrm, but no change. And still waiting on elrepo to release a kernel-ml for el6.
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Jul 25 2011, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

hi,
unluckily, i dont have means, how to test it. Dont have anything with that intel bridge handy. Would be nice if someone with right machine could run test with the RHEL 6.1 smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
guotatofu
 Posted: Jul 25 2011, 11:35 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 529

I am running PUIAS 6.1 on a Lenovo Thinkpad T520 with Intel HD3000. It appears that it is necessary to specify the "i915.modeset=1" option in grub.conf to make X work.

My xorg.conf

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "intel"
# Option "Shadow" "True"
Option "DRI" "false"
EndSection

The two options are according to
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel#X_freeze.2Fcrash_with_intel_driver
However, the "Shadow" option keeps killing X or simply preventing X from starting when an external monitor is connected.

I was running Fedora 15 64bit on the laptop, but the system hanged up frequently (more than daily) and needed hard reboot. That forced me to switch to PUIAS about one week ago. I hope this info can be useful since SL 6.1 uses the same kernel as PUIAS.
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jul 26 2011, 12:09 AM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

I'm running SL 6.0 with latest kernel update on a Sandy Bridge Vostro 3350 with Intel/ATI switchable graphics. It defaults to Intel, but I believe the other card is using power while on battery.

I was waiting on 6.1 to play around with adapter settings. Would anyone know how to turn off the ATI card at boot?

I'll see if I can help with the OP's Question after researching some since we share the same type of issue really.

Quotatofu's post looks promising. I'm also confused why he's getting the no screens found perennial problem when I did not. ?

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
^
allanw
 Posted: Jul 31 2011, 07:27 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 520

QUOTE (guotatofu @ Jul 25 2011, 11:35 PM)
I am running PUIAS 6.1 on a Lenovo Thinkpad T520 with Intel HD3000.  It appears that it is necessary to specify the "i915.modeset=1" option in grub.conf to make X work.

Awesome, adding i915.modeset=1 fixed it. glxgears gives about 1000fps.
PM
^
shelley
 Posted: Aug 2 2011, 03:14 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Member No.: 562

We are using Intel SandyBridge Video drivers and the issues we had in version 6 has been resolved in Version 6.1. Thanks to intel and to RHEL...and ofcourse to Scientific Linux too for the timely release of 6.1 smile.gif

--------------------
PM
^
BBB
 Posted: Jun 16 2012, 08:06 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1596

[QUOTE=guotatofu,Jul 25 2011, 03:35 PM]I am running PUIAS 6.1 on a Lenovo Thinkpad T520 with Intel HD3000.  It appears that it is necessary to specify the "i915.modeset=1" option in grub.conf to make X work.

My xorg.conf

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "intel"
# Option "Shadow" "True"
Option "DRI" "false"
EndSection]

Thank you guotatofu! Running SL 6.2 on a Dell XPS 15Z. Could get past the vesa driver, with incompatible screen resoultions. Your message above fixed up the Intel part of my display, perfectly.

PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll