Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Microsoft struggles to get Hyper-V drivers in Linux kernel
redman
 Posted: Jul 20 2011, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

Microsoft isn't exactly dumping Windows for Linux, but it has become one of the busiest contributors to the Linux kernel. Microsoft's attempt to get Hyper-V drivers into the Linux kernel has taken longer than expected, having begun in July 2009, so Microsoft is apparently trying to speed up the process.

THE L-WORD: Microsoft: 'We love open source'

Microsoft was the fifth-largest corporate contributor to Linux kernel version 3.0, open source author and computer scientist David Wheeler writes in his blog.

"This work by Microsoft was to clean up the 'Microsoft Hyper-V (HV) driver' so that the Microsoft driver would be included in the mainline Linux kernel," Wheeler writes.

The complete article can be read here.

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos - How to post images - How to post large text / config files

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
Laptop: ASUS X58L, Intel Dual-Core T3200, 3GB DDR2, Intel GMA X3100, RHEL7.0 x86_64
Test box: Intel S5000PSL, 2x Intel Xeon E5310, 8GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB, SL7 BETA x86_64 + MATE
PMEmail Poster
^
louis-m
 Posted: Jul 20 2011, 06:54 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 490

i wonder if they see kvm as an emerging competitor?
i know they recently announced support for centos but i think that was a cunning ploy to draw people away from rhel, thereby lowering rhel's turnover eventually. no rhel, no centos etc!
i'm also not unsure whether it was an own goal as i've seen a few M$ admins of late start looking at centos and after a while, they have liked what they saw and starting looking at other distro's and open source eg untangle etc.
the global recession is also changing M$ admins direction so something is going to give eventually, either a move to *nix or a rethink of the M$ licensing costs.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll