Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> vmware's new pricing
louis-m
 Posted: Jul 19 2011, 07:47 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 490

have you seen vmware's new pricing structure for vsphere 5? there's a lot of folks complaining over there and alot may jump ship.
so how does kvm stack up against it? is kvm's virtual manager free? from what i understand, it isn't with rhel.
just weighting up the options at the moment as we may have to jump ship ourselves.
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jul 19 2011, 07:16 PM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (louis-m @ Jul 19 2011, 03:47 AM)
have you seen vmware's new pricing structure for vsphere 5? there's a lot of folks complaining over there and alot may jump ship.
so how does kvm stack up against it? is kvm's virtual manager free? from what i understand, it isn't with rhel.
just weighting up the options at the moment as we may have to jump ship ourselves.

Welcome to the forum, louis-m. I thought they were high a few years ago smile.gif I haven't looked in a long time. I'm sure someone will jump in here.

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
spoovy
 Posted: Jul 19 2011, 07:39 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

Lots of chat about this on the mailing lists, if you want to trawl the archives. I think it would be fair to summarise though, that KVM isn't really ready for primetime yet, and Vbox much the same, largely due to lack of support from Oracle. I would suggest a review of SL-Users list though.

http://listserv.fnal.gov/archives/scientific-linux-users.html

--------------------
PM
^
louis-m
 Posted: Jul 19 2011, 09:34 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

i thought things had moved on with rhel6 and kvm?

see here with oracle

good article on the new vmware pricing structure

hi joutlan,
another centos refugee here. after watching the centos saga from the sidelines for the last six months or so, we decided to give other distro's a shot and here we are.
we've made the jump and will be staying with sl. thanks for all the work etc

with regards to vmware, we're unsure whether it will affect us or not but sl6 & kvm is looking tempting for us to try.
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jul 19 2011, 10:23 PM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Hi Louis-m,

This says it all to me (from your linked article):

CODE
This setup didn't work for some customers or for VMware. Sometimes customers would hit the core limits and couldn't easily grow their infrastructure.

I consider the whole concept of "cores" totally disgusting and reprimand-able. smile.gif
I haven't delved into KVM, at all actually. Per Spoovy I would search the mail list as there's been a lot chatter on there about KVM.

PS: Good choice on SL. I don't see how you can go wrong with it. They are pretty quick with the security errata.

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
Nexus 4 //Android
^
louis-m
 Posted: Jul 19 2011, 10:38 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

i don't think we will go wrong either.
i'm not an old fuddy duddy but watching the centos saga unfold and then the centos pub crawl did raise some eyebrows with us. see here and see here

i like a beer as much as the next person but advertising and going on a public pub crawl when things weren't quite going to plan is possibly not the smartest thing to do in some people's eyes.

but hey ho, here we are and i don't think we'll look back (apart from not knowing about sl previously)
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jul 20 2011, 09:20 PM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Here's a review of KVM from the Mail List, from Mr. J. Pulver. Reading it made me think of this thread:

I've been using KVM on SL5 for a year or two now, and so far found the guest performance great, but everything else about it barely ready for primetime. From the recent XEN postings re SL6, I found out that it may be because my only interaction with KVM has been through libvert and virt-manager.

Is there a better way to do things? Some of the main things missing in SL5 KVM via virt-manager are the ability to get decent screen resolutions (seem to be limited to about 1280x1024) and anything like VMWare snapshots.

We'd set up a test SL6 KVM host, and the screen resolution of guests seemed fixed, but I'm still disappointed at how undeveloped the KVM interface is compared to EVERY OTHER VM software I've ever used.

Pointers, or even just how you use KVM would be greatly appreciated. I honestly don't see how RedHat thinks they're competing with Hyper-V or VMWare with the offerings I've seen.

If you're considering KVM, I would jump in on that thread if you're subbed. smile.gif

--------------------
Nexus 4 //Android
^
louis-m
 Posted: Jul 21 2011, 07:15 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

we're having a close look at proxmox at the moment which is bare metal kvm based.
from what i can see, even if we went with sl kvm, there are loads of management clients (inc web based) out there as compared to vmware's own offerings.
lots of testing me thinks!
PM
^
Jcink
 Posted: Jul 22 2011, 03:50 AM
Quote Post

SLF IRC Team

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (joutlan @ Jul 19 2011, 06:23 PM)
Hi Louis-m,

This says it all to me (from your linked article):

CODE
This setup didn't work for some customers or for VMware. Sometimes customers would hit the core limits and couldn't easily grow their infrastructure.

I consider the whole concept of "cores" totally disgusting and reprimand-able.

I agree.

You own this software but only for use on one core... if you want to add another core, buy a license! ph34r.gif

I'm amazed that this has even worked as a business model for them, it's just a matter of time I think before this gets crushed as alternatives pop up.
PMUsers Website
^
redman
 Posted: Jul 22 2011, 10:40 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Member No.: 2

The more people use your software, the more will need it.
And thus change the license and many will simply cough up the money... dry.gif

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.6 x86_64
Build server: HP Proliant ML350 G5, 1x Intel Xeon Quad-Core E5410, 9GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 730 1GB, SL6.6 x86_64
PM
^
louis-m
 Posted: Jul 22 2011, 05:16 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

That's very true. We're now having to look at possible migration of vm's which is no easy task. Some will simply cough up to save all the aggro but others (like ourselves) will look at alternatives and slowly the word will grow.

Vmware's esxi 5 (free version) only allows you to use 8gb vRam (total for the host, not per vm) before you have to spend some cash. So if you have + 8gb pRam on the host, it's simply ignored.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll