scientificlinuxforum.org QR code
Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How to REMOVE Eclipse and Install Eclipe-Indigo, SL6 Ships Old Version of Eclipse-How2Fix
PerryTheInventor
 Posted: Jul 7 2011, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 397

I love SL6 so far. But it is shipping with Eclipse-Helios and I want Shiny new Eclipse-Indigo. How do I remove Helios and then install Indigo?

Simply telling Eclipse to update only gets Helios to current version of Helios not next version Indigo.

I tried using Add/Remove software but this only lets me UNCHECK Helios and that does not seem to remove the packages. Also, I could not see how to "install" Indigo so I just created a link to it on the desktop. Now I can run it but it is not in the menu. So my install is a bit of a mash.

I know this is probably something easy to do but I also cannot find where to look it up. Another question I would like to ask (mildly related to the topic) is. IS THERE A BOOK about SL I should get as a reference that shows how to do this type of stuff?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
PerryTheInventor
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 7 2011, 03:11 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

QUOTE (PerryTheInventor @ Jul 7 2011, 04:00 PM)
IS THERE A BOOK about SL I should get as a reference that shows how to do this type of stuff?

Since SL = CentOS = RHEL, any up-to-date book about CentOS or Redhat Enterprise Linux will do.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
Brad55
 Posted: Jul 8 2011, 01:13 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 313

For the books you may want to look at are here. They are all on Red Hat but thats top level of SL. SL is built from RHEL.

--------------------
I have A Momentary Lapse of Reason | Learning to Fly <and looking for> Signs of Life <after> The Dogs of War <have had> One Slip, On the Turnning Away <but> Yet Another Movie <and> A New Machine <with> Terminal Frost <and> Sorrow.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll