> Toshiba Laptop (Satellite M35X)
Brad55
 Posted: Jul 2 2011, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Group: Members
Member No.: 313

I have a few little problems.

1. The SL6 Live CD will not boot, gets stuck after the automatic count down. This may be the computer because it will not boot Ubuntu 9.10 or higher, openSUSE 11.2 or higher, but it will boot Fedora 14.

2. I fired up SL5.5 Live CD and the side mouse button (it's the back button on the mouse) does not work under Nautilus, it works in Firefox. I have Fedora 14 installed on the laptop and it works fine, is it just the version or is it something I need to do?

3. Question: Does SL5.5 support ext 4? The reason I'm asking is because I really don't want to format my storage drive in the laptop, it has 83gb's of information. I don't have a place to put all that information right now.

4. This may be a problem or may just be my laptop. When I enable the desktop effects this is what happens. Yes that black space is what I'm talking about it seems like the screen will not fill the screen.
user posted image
I still have the screen at 1280x800, and if I use (alt+ctl+backspace) and re login it's still the same. Here are the Specs for the laptop.

Update: Just fired up CentOS 5.6 and it does the same thing.

--------------------
I have A Momentary Lapse of Reason | Learning to Fly <and looking for> Signs of Life <after> The Dogs of War <have had> One Slip, On the Turnning Away <but> Yet Another Movie <and> A New Machine <with> Terminal Frost <and> Sorrow.
PM
^
Brad55
 Posted: Jul 8 2011, 01:21 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Well I guess no one can answer this one. I kind know what the problem is I just don't know how to fix it.

--------------------
I have A Momentary Lapse of Reason | Learning to Fly <and looking for> Signs of Life <after> The Dogs of War <have had> One Slip, On the Turnning Away <but> Yet Another Movie <and> A New Machine <with> Terminal Frost <and> Sorrow.
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Jul 8 2011, 06:02 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

Although not much of help, but you could post it on the mailinglist.
Perhaps someone there (including the devs) might pick it up?

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
Laptop: ASUS X58L, Intel Dual-Core T3200, 3GB DDR2, Intel GMA X3100, RHEL6.6 x86_64
Test box: Intel S5000PSL, 2x Intel Xeon E5310, 8GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
PM
^
Brad55
 Posted: Jul 12 2011, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Well redman I did what you said and the topic got morphed into building a kernel. One of the reasons it got morphed into that is the laptop will not run SL6 because of PAE, the laptop does not have a multi core cpu.
I guess I could learn how to build a a kernel but is that going to fix the problem with the desktop effects setting I don't know, it might. I could install SL5.6 and use that one with out desktop effects or if I could find the problem I could build that RPM.

Now lets say I build a kernel RPM more questions arise.
1. Just install that kernel RPM on the laptop?
2. What about updates to the kernel?
3. Will I have to build a new kernel for each update or just kernel updates?
4. Will this fix the desktop effects problem? I don't know.
5. If I did this would I have to use livecd-tools to build a installable CD?

Now don't get me wrong on this but in my thinking a live CD or even the install CD/DVD should have a script that looks at the cpu and then tells the software which kernel to install or run. I have tried programing before and could never get my head into it, but I can look at some code and tell you what it's doing, just can't sit down and write it. If the target is only multi core then there will be a lot of people shying away for the distro and some will come over to the distro because of the LTS. Now I know the world is going to multi core but not ever one still has one, or you have people like me that got a free laptop (just had to install a screen) that are not multi core. Would it not be in the best interest of Linux to have a script to see if that computer has multi core or not before installing or running that kernel? I know this means more programing for the devs but I think it would attract more people.

Bottom line is I would like to find out what the problem is with the desktop effects and fix that, but I really have no clue where to start on that one. I have installed SL5.6 and tried that but it does the same thing.
Is it some thing with the video driver, or the Gnome desktop, or xorg?
I guess I'll keep digging to see if I can find the answer.

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll