Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> WINE Fonts -- Seeking Wisdom (or a really good shortcut.)
jon4t2
 Posted: Jun 7 2011, 11:23 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Group: Members
Member No.: 53

Ok, time for me to repeat the age old question:

What is the proper way to install Windows TrueType fonts for use by WINE? (1.2.3-1.el6 from rpmforge)

I've copied all the fonts from my WinXP box and placed them in the "c:\windows\Fonts\" WINE directory. (a.k.a /home/~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts), all to no avail.

Thanks.
PM
^
lemonzest
 Posted: Jun 8 2011, 12:36 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 109

the place for fonts is in /usr/share/fonts

--------------------
Desktop: Phenom II X6 1090T Hex-Core (Socket AM3), 16GB RAM, MSI 870-C45, 5x 1TB HDD, Radeon HD 6770 1GB, Mageia 2 x86_64

Test Box:Intel Pentium E2180 (Socket 775), 4GB DDR3, ASRock G41-VS3 2.0, 4x 1TB, 2x 500GB, Onboard GFX, Mageia 2 x86_64

Connection: Virgin Media XL 60Mb/s Down, 3Mb/s Up
PM
^
jon4t2
 Posted: Jun 9 2011, 01:37 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 53

QUOTE (lemonzest @ Jun 7 2011, 07:36 PM)
the place for fonts is in /usr/share/fonts

Thanks.

It turns out that copying fonts into WINE's "c:\windows\Fonts\" directory worked as the WINE programmers intended. Those fonts are available to any WINE app that lets the user choose fonts. I've learned that copying fonts to /user/share/fonts, as you suggest, makes the fonts available to all apps on the system, including WINE apps.

My original post was prompted by the appearance of the fonts used in the dialogs in some of my WINE apps. They were small and ugly. These fonts can be changed by editing the WINE registry.

The text size can be changed by editing the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts\]

"FIXEDFON.FON"="vgafix.fon"
"FONTS.FON"="vgasys.fon"
"LogPixels"=dword:00000060
"OEMFONT.FON"="vgaoem.fon"

If you increase the value of LogPixels, the size of the text in the dialogs increases.

You can also change the value of LogPixels using the WINE Configuration utility. Select the "Graphics" tab and go down to the "Screen Resolution" box. The value displayed in the "dpi" box is the decimal equivalent of the LogPixels hex value. You can enter a new value in the dpi box or move the slider to change the dialog font size.

Changing the font used requires the proper specification of fonts and font substitutes in the registry. I'm still working on that one. I find it puzzling that WINE 1.2.3 does not include reasonable substitutes for the M$ fonts that are expected by Windows apps. There appears to be some good candidates available.
PM
^
zxq9
 Posted: Sep 18 2011, 04:51 PM
Quote Post

SLF Advocate

Member No.: 611

This thread touches on an issue I am having right now running Japanese Windows apps on Wine. Preliminary testing on Fedora 14 led me to believe that as long as the LANG environment variable was set to ja_JP that the correct Japanese fonts would display in Wine apps (menus, widget labels, etc) but this appears to not work on SL 6 or 6.1.

My issues are twofold:
1- I need the menus to display Japanese text, not boxes. The "env LANG=ja_JP wine [executable]" trick doesn't work on SL 6 the way it works on Fedora 14. This is likely some deficiency in the way the registry maps fonts on SL 6 (I haven't checked if Fedora and EPEL are pushing the same version of Wine -- and this might make all the difference).
2- The Japanese fonts I could get on menus in Fedora were a little ill-sized. The dpi resolution change mentioned in the post above is probably my solution for this. Weird things can happen in Japanese fonts in Wine, like a button of a certain size displaying correctly on real Windows, but the font sizing being off on Wine leading to letters being cut off or half-displayed on a long string.

If anybody has already gotten CJK fonts working on Wine in SL 6 please tell tell the world about it here. Once I figure this out and have the solution organized I'll post it here myself if nobody has responded yet. Basically SL 6 + Wine is not a viable solution for anyone using non-Roman fonts at the moment, and this is a release blocking feature bug in certain niche uses that require one specific Windows app to work (JwCAD in our case).
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
axel2078
 Posted: Sep 21 2011, 02:42 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 818

I'm confused by this thread. What's the difference between copying over all the fonts from a Windows machine to /usr/share/fonts vs installing the msttcorefonts package as mentioned in this thread?
PM
^
zxq9
 Posted: Sep 21 2011, 03:55 PM
Quote Post

SLF Advocate

Member No.: 611

QUOTE (axel2078 @ Sep 21 2011, 02:42 PM)
I'm confused by this thread. What's the difference between copying over all the fonts from a Windows machine to /usr/share/fonts vs installing the msttcorefonts package as mentioned in this thread?

If simply asking about "TrueType Fonts" as pertains to Roman lettering only, probably very little save some font naming schenanigans which really has more to do with the Wine registry than what fonts are "installed in Wine".

When discussing CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) fonts, however, which was my primary problem, there is a world of difference.

And... I am back to report what I found about CJK support in Wine on SL6.

Two things have to happen:
1- The shell LANG environment variable must be set when a CJK font-dependent Wine app is run. This doesn't mean you have to log in with Japanese or Chinese enabled to run your app. It means that you need a string such as env LANG=ja_JP wine "/home/jdoe/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/app-folder/app.exe" to start up your application. This is simple and great place to use a custom launcher in Gnome2 or KDE.
2- The libgcj.i686 package needs to be installed on the system for the LANG environment variable to make any differnece.

After a lot of searching through undocumented spaces and compiling versions of Wine from 1.1 through 1.3.whatever (which is not as easy as I thought it would be!) this is what I found. Point #2 above unravels all mysteries about using moonspeak on Wine in SL6x.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll