Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Know of Print Server Router that works with SL?
joutlan
 Posted: May 25 2011, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

I am in a position to look at Print Server Routers again basically to get a rather large Laser Printer moved. I've used a NetGear print router in the past and it was very flaky I must say.

Does anyone know of a dedicated Printer router that would work with SL? If I had a desktop, I would set it up but don't have the space where I want to put it really.

Thanks for any tips if there are any at all biggrin.gif

EDIT: I'm thinking maybe a second wireless router since my laser printer has a network card? It can't go where the main wireless router is. Any ideas?

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
Jcink
 Posted: May 25 2011, 11:45 PM
Quote Post

SLF IRC Team

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

This is what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-Wireless-G-Multifunction-Printer-Support/dp/B000LSZ0Q0

I use this with an HP PhotoSmart C4100.

You can use this independent of the OS if you know how to work with it.

Forget the software that comes with it to install completely and set it up manually.

You connect the printer via USB to the print server and plug it into your router or you could go ahead and use it wirelessly. It has its own web based panel you can use to set it up.

Then, in either windows or linux you can add a new printer by copying down the URI. My printer URI for example is, and I just added it to Windows. Before that I added it to my Ubuntu.

ipp://192.168.2.119:631/resource

Then just give the printer a name, and boom, printing complete.

I'm running Win 7 right now and am still doing this and don't have ANY of the linksys software even installed, all I did was add the URI in 'add a printer.'

A lot of people hate this product if you check the reviews because there is a learning curve to set it up, and the software that comes with it is buggy, even for Windows IMO. Linksys complicated everything. However, once it's set up, it's flawless.
PMUsers Website
^
joutlan
 Posted: May 26 2011, 12:45 AM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

Thanks JC, I'll check it out....and thanks for the how to tips. biggrin.gif

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll