> Howto wishlist?
lemonzest
 Posted: May 14 2011, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 109

Hiya

I feel like giving back to the community that has made me feel so welcome so I've decided to write up some guides, and I'd also like to open up a wish list.

my next two guides will be.

#1 Installing Scientific Linux 6, dvd based, and network based install with initial booting from cd/usb stick.

#2 Installing the Official build of Virtual Box from Oracle.

Any other suggestions? i'm open to anything really and in my long history of using computers I've done most things so sky's the limit really smile.gif

Lemonzest (also thanks redman for the suggestion of a wish list)

--------------------
Desktop: Phenom II X6 1090T Hex-Core (Socket AM3), 16GB RAM, MSI 870-C45, 5x 1TB HDD, Radeon HD 6770 1GB, Mageia 2 x86_64

Test Box:Intel Pentium E2180 (Socket 775), 4GB DDR3, ASRock G41-VS3 2.0, 4x 1TB, 2x 500GB, Onboard GFX, Mageia 2 x86_64

Connection: Virgin Media XL 60Mb/s Down, 3Mb/s Up
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: May 14 2011, 08:22 PM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

Some members have been requesting a general install guide, with reference to repo's that should be used smile.gif

To me, the repos to leave ON for updates are:

All SL repos sans Testing.
The two EPEL repos. (Not necessarily recommended!) I watch my updates very carefully and always know what's going on, but these two repos are not the standard way of doing things, especially in a server enviro.

It's easy for me.

thanks lemonzest....it's all appreciated!

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
^
redman
 Posted: May 14 2011, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Member No.: 2

If we write an installation guide, initially it should feature ONLY the SL repos as installed by default. Writing an installation guide with 3rd party repos is not advised as they introduce unknown factors.

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos - How to post images - How to post large text / config files

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
Laptop: ASUS X58L, Intel Dual-Core T3200, 3GB DDR2, Intel GMA X3100, RHEL7.0 x86_64
Test box: Intel S5000PSL, 2x Intel Xeon E5310, 8GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB, SL7 BETA x86_64 + MATE
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
lemonzest
 Posted: May 14 2011, 09:46 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 109

Yeah I was only going to write about normal DVD install, and network install with initial boot from cd/usbstick, don't know about NFS install as I've never tried one sad.gif

--------------------
Desktop: Phenom II X6 1090T Hex-Core (Socket AM3), 16GB RAM, MSI 870-C45, 5x 1TB HDD, Radeon HD 6770 1GB, Mageia 2 x86_64

Test Box:Intel Pentium E2180 (Socket 775), 4GB DDR3, ASRock G41-VS3 2.0, 4x 1TB, 2x 500GB, Onboard GFX, Mageia 2 x86_64

Connection: Virgin Media XL 60Mb/s Down, 3Mb/s Up
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: May 14 2011, 10:35 PM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (redman @ May 14 2011, 05:22 PM)
If we write an installation guide, initially it should feature ONLY the SL repos as installed by default. Writing an installation guide with 3rd party repos is not advised as they introduce unknown factors.

Yes...absolutely....I wouldn't add the others....I use the EPEL repos, but that's just me, on a workstation, here doing things the way I do them....smile.gif

I edited my post above as not to be a loose canon for others smile.gif

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
^
redman
 Posted: May 15 2011, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Topic pinned, people who need anything should report here.
That way we can concentrate all efforts for those who have the time to write wink.gif

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos - How to post images - How to post large text / config files

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
Laptop: ASUS X58L, Intel Dual-Core T3200, 3GB DDR2, Intel GMA X3100, RHEL7.0 x86_64
Test box: Intel S5000PSL, 2x Intel Xeon E5310, 8GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB, SL7 BETA x86_64 + MATE
^
spoovy
 Posted: May 19 2011, 06:25 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

Would it not be reinventing the wheel somewhat to write an installation guide? See RedHat Docs

--------------------
PMIntegrity Messenger IM
^
freddie50
 Posted: Oct 18 2011, 10:59 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 256

I personally would love to see a post explaining in detail:
How To set-up a home webserver with your computer.
Maybe some links towards a good step by step tutorial?

Some more precise questions on my mind on this subject:
What is the Hardware requirements?
Do you need 2 Network cards??
How to configure this if your ISP does not provide you with a fix IP??

Thank you very much guys,
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Oct 19 2011, 05:57 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

QUOTE (freddie50 @ Oct 19 2011, 12:59 AM)

The answers to several questions depend on what you intend to do with your website. Is it just a way to connect or do you plan to run a heavy website?

For general use, you need a good ADSL connection would be sufficient. Any Pentium 4 (or higher) machine with 1GB or more is good. One network card is what you need. A second is only useful when creating a seperate (internal) network.

I run a webserver at home and use a internet domain for it. Without a fixed IP address. As long as your modem isn't switched off, the IP address you have would remain the same. Should the modem be reset, switched off or the ISP needs to restart anything then you might be getting a different address. You can use services that offer dynamic DNS (you have a small plugin/application that checkes in to register the current IP address) or change things manually IF they change.

--------------------

^
freddie50
 Posted: Nov 2 2011, 07:04 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

QUOTE (redman @ Oct 19 2011, 06:57 AM)
QUOTE (freddie50 @ Oct 19 2011, 12:59 AM)

The answers to several questions depend on what you intend to do with your website. Is it just a way to connect or do you plan to run a heavy website?

For general use, you need a good ADSL connection would be sufficient. Any Pentium 4 (or higher) machine with 1GB or more is good. One network card is what you need. A second is only useful when creating a seperate (internal) network.

I run a webserver at home and use a internet domain for it. Without a fixed IP address. As long as your modem isn't switched off, the IP address you have would remain the same. Should the modem be reset, switched off or the ISP needs to restart anything then you might be getting a different address. You can use services that offer dynamic DNS (you have a small plugin/application that checkes in to register the current IP address) or change things manually IF they change.

Thanks for your reply redman!
That is good to know.
I was also curious of what kind of box do you guys use at home to face the world wide web?
I would love (maybe I am not the only one here?...) a feedback on how you guys set up your home server?
A thread covering:
"Best practices on How to build your home web-server"

something detailing:
1. the hardware you use?
2. the version of the OS you use? ... easy SL 6.1 now I suppose
3. how you configured it?

Thanks again for this great forum!
Keep up the good work!

PM
^
Jessica_Lily
 Posted: Apr 9 2012, 04:32 PM
Quote Post

SLF IRC Team

Member No.: 180

Hey,

Just a tutorial to put on the wish list:

- How to package rpms and setup a repo

I'd be very interested in that.

Thanks,
Jesisca.
x
PMUsers Website
^
tux99
 Posted: Apr 9 2012, 07:51 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

QUOTE (Jessica_Lily @ Apr 9 2012, 06:32 PM)
Hey,

Just a tutorial to put on the wish list:

- How to package rpms and setup a repo

I'd be very interested in that.

Thanks,
Jesisca.
x

Don't have time to write a how-to myself but the following links contain the documents I used to learn how to package rpm and how to set up a repo:

Chapters 8 to 13 of this guide is probably the best guide out there for anyone who want to learn to package a rpm (I highly recommend to start here at chapter 8):
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/RPM_Guide/index.html

This one is new, I haven't read it but it seems good to:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/Packagers_Guide/index.html

This one is useful to learn how to create RPMS according to Fedora/Redhat guidelines (this doc expects that you already know how to make a rpm, so read the previous docs first):
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines

Creating a repo is really easy, you just need the 'createrepo' command and then read the man page. else this page has some info:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreateLocalRepos

Hope this helps.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
freddie50
 Posted: Apr 17 2012, 08:46 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Hi All,

Maybe this goes beyond the cope of Scientific Linux alone, but I would love to know how to create and manage a forum like Scientific Linux Forum using SL!
Specifically:
What tools do you use?
How do you set them up?
What kind of scripts do you have running in the background to keep everything nice and sleek like on SLF?
According to you: is it doable to have it running on a box at home? And what about using something like no-ip.com for DNS?

To sum it up and in other words: I would like to know everything about managing efficiently a forum, what options is there out there? And how to implement them?
Please note that I do not want to create a spin of SLF but I would like to manage myself a small forum concerning something completely different (sharing issues between owners of a property...)

Many thanks for your help and keep up the good work!
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Apr 18 2012, 01:21 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Hi freddie50,

I am sure there are many who can help with the info but the one who comes to mind first is our gracious host provider http://jcink.com/.
He is a active member here and forum hosting is one of his specialties.
PM
^
maglinvinn
 Posted: Mar 8 2013, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 2343

i dont know if this is the right place, but i'm going to ask anyway smile.gif

i'd love to see a method to install the following:

ANKI

7Zip

NOTEPAD++ (unless there's something thats not a windows port that is nearly identical )

Thanks guys. the skype instructions were perfect and very handy!
PM
^
AUPhil
 Posted: May 19 2013, 02:49 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 2503

I'd like to see a HOWTO on installing SL 6.x with:

MBR
/boot on ext2
/ on a zfs zpool

AUPhil
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll