Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> can I use an up to date kernel in sl5.5?
spottyrover
 Posted: May 7 2011, 03:39 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

I am trying out sl5.5 because I hate kde4 and it has kde3 for a media center and would like to know if its possible to use an up to date kernel?

Thanks for any replies
Dave
PM
^
redman
 Posted: May 7 2011, 06:37 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (spottyrover @ May 7 2011, 05:39 AM)
I am trying out sl5.5 because I hate kde4 and it has kde3 for a media center and would like to know if its possible to use an up to date kernel?

Although I haven't tried it, you might want to think about the fact that SL5 (as is RHEL5) is related to Fedora 6. Compaired to current situation, that is old stuff (which doesn't mean it is obsolete). Certain things have (technically) changed.

I assume that using stock kernels from SL6 or Fedora will not work (because of the changes in the system). You could however download and compile your own kernel. It is worth a try.

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
Laptop: ASUS X58L, Intel Dual-Core T3200, 3GB DDR2, Intel GMA X3100, RHEL6.6 x86_64
Test box: Intel S5000PSL, 2x Intel Xeon E5310, 8GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
PM
^
spoovy
 Posted: May 7 2011, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

Are you aware of the Trinity project - http://www.trinitydesktop.org/ ? Hopefully rpms will be available soon, which might mean we can use KDE 3.5 on SL6.

Otherwise, the Zen kernel might be worth a look. It's optimised for desktop/ multimedia purposes, and can be installed on RHEL5 clones - see here http://is.gd/6aWmyI for info on installing.

This post has been edited by spoovy: May 7 2011, 09:09 AM

--------------------
PMIntegrity Messenger IM
^
spottyrover
 Posted: May 9 2011, 03:59 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

thanks for all of your replies.
I am aware of the trinity project however I thought it was just for Ubuntu which I have tried a few times and don't like it. I have used kanotix which was excellent but I gave that up when they split to sidux (decided I did not want to send alot of time upgrading and repairing problems) then found pclinuxos 2009. It was kde3 based, very stable and quick then they went to kde4 which is slow buggy, lost alot of features tried pclinuxos xfce version which is fast, but by the time you add in whats needed to get to kde3 standard it got a bit buggy.

So here I am looking again but this time for a stable system wich does not want to change every 6 months.
First I stumbled on centos 5.6 which had kde3 and then found SL.

If I add trinity to SL6 (when it becomes available) what would I benefit as apposed to updating the kernel to SL5?

In the meantime I think I will learn about Zen kernel

Dave
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: May 9 2011, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (redman @ May 7 2011, 06:37 AM)
QUOTE (spottyrover @ May 7 2011, 05:39 AM)

Although I haven't tried it, you might want to think about the fact that SL5 (as is RHEL5) is related to Fedora 6. Compaired to current situation, that is old stuff (which doesn't mean it is obsolete). Certain things have (technically) changed.

I assume that using stock kernels from SL6 or Fedora will not work (because of the changes in the system). You could however download and compile your own kernel. It is worth a try.

Hi,
it is possible to install uptodate either vannilla kernel from kernel.org like e.g 2.6.38, or recompile e.g. rhel6 kernel.
If interested, i can update it with some info later on.

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
spoovy
 Posted: May 9 2011, 06:18 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Member No.: 5

QUOTE (spottyrover @ May 9 2011, 03:59 AM)

If I add trinity to SL6 (when it becomes available) what would I benefit  as apposed to updating the kernel to SL5?
Dave

At the risk of posting a flippant link wink.gif - http://www.redhat.com/rhel/server/details/

Personally on my laptop and desktop I don't gain a lot from using SL6 over SL5. Little things like improved power usage, better network manager, ext4, etc are balanced out by losing KDE3. I'm using SL6 because i'm going for RHCSA certification sometime this year hopefully, otherwise I think on my desktop at least i'd have done exactly what you're considering.

--------------------
PMIntegrity Messenger IM
^
spottyrover
 Posted: May 10 2011, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

I thought I would try Spoovy idea of using a zen kernel with the info from http://is.gd/6aWmyI since I remembered compiling a kernel a few years ago (I think it worked).
But this time I am getting lost and confused.
So far I think I have downloaded the source using git by doing

"cd /usr/src"
"git clone --depth 1 git://zen-kernel.org/kernel/zen-stable.git linux-2.6-zen"
"ln -s linux-2.6-zen linux"
I test it with

"git checkout v2.6.38"
and get
"Previous HEAD position was a3c54ec... Merge branch '2.6.38-upstream-updates'
HEAD is now at 521cb40... Linux 2.6.38"
also tried 2.6.38.1 upto 2.6.38.5 but not the stable 2.6.38.6 from kernel.org 2.6.38.6 is stable

in the demo they used a kernel with zen in it such as git checkout v2.6.30-zen8

So I think I have a zen git copy up to 2.6.38.5

At this stage I think I am up to compiling the kernel

As suggested from http://is.gd/6aWmyI
I am trying to use a kernel seed to create the configuration which sent me to
http://www.kernel-seeds.org/working.html

The steps I found are

"1) Take the results of lspci -n and paste them at the following site: http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/. With my example, the page would look like this:"

seems to work

"2) cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r8"
I did " cd linux-2.6-zen"

"3) make xconfig"

get the error
"scripts/kconfig/qconf.cc: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
scripts/kconfig/qconf.cc:1777: error: ‘class QApplication’ has no member named ‘setMainWidget’
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/qconf.o] Error 1
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2"

tried "make gconfig" and got

"* Unable to find the GTK+ installation. Please make sure that
* the GTK+ 2.0 development package is correctly installed...
* You need gtk+-2.0, glib-2.0 and libglade-2.0.
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `scripts/kconfig/.tmp_gtkcheck', needed by `scripts/kconfig/ gconf.o'. Stop.
make: *** [gconfig] Error 2"

I tried make menuconfig it works after doing alot of installs

Since it looks so different I thought I would checked out the rest of the site but could not find where the kernel seed came into it??
What is a kernel seed for?
What do I do with it?
Which one to use?

I have downloaded 2
2.6.38.2-zen-x86-08.config and 2.6.38.6-x86-08.config

Would I be better off recompiling a rhel6 kernel as suggested by helikaon

Thanks for all of the help so far

Dave

ps. going to bed
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: May 16 2011, 02:46 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Member No.: 4

Hi Spotty,
ok, first the vanilla kernel from kernel.org.

download the kernel source code (go to the www page, right click on the link for your desirable kernel (in this example it is 2.6.30.1 but you can choose whichever version), choose "copy link location" and then (as root):
CODE

cd /usr/src
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.30.1.tar.bz2
tar -jvxf linux-2.6.30.1.tar.bz2
ln -s linux-2.6.30.1 linux

configure your new kernel:
CODE

cd /usr/src/linux
make clean && make mrproper
cp /boot/config-`uname -r` ./.config

make menuconfig

this start window where you turn on/off the options for your new kernel and in this menuconfig utility:
- "Load an Alternate Configuration File" (and choose your ".config" file)
- start with General Setup ---> () Local version - append to kernel release (here specify your kernel version -e.g. 001 - this will be appended at the end of the new kernel name, so in our case 2.6.30.1.001)
- also in the General Setup, you have to check the "CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2", otherwise the kernel would have problems to see LVM volumes at boot

the rest is up to you - i recommend to check cpu type, drivers, filesystem types ....
in the end, choose "Exit" and when asked, save configuration to your ".config"

start the compilation process and creates kernel rpm package
CODE

make rpm

install the new rpm:
CODE

cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/x86_64
rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.30.1custom.x86_64.rpm

(in your case it will be different name, i put in the "General" section during the menuconfig the "custom" stanza)

create ramdisk:
CODE

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.30.1-custom.img 2.6.30.1-custom

add new line with the new kernel to "grub.conf" (just copy & paste old one and change name respectively ..
CODE

vi /boot/grub/grub.conf

reboot & thumbs up :-)

This post has been edited by helikaon: May 16 2011, 02:52 PM

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll