Scientific Linux Forum.org

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> 3rd Party Repos
redman
 Posted: May 6 2011, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

WARNING: These repositories are not provided nor supported by Scientific Linux. They are listed in a random order, and being listed earlier does not imply any particular merit to a given repository. Scientific Linux exercises no control (in what way) over the assertions of computability made by these sites. Many 3rd party repositories are mutually incompatible and will cause dependency issues and conflicts, as well as stability issues, if used together! If something from them breaks, you get to keep the pieces. Some of the repos, such as RPMforge, ELRepo, ATrpms and EPEL have their own mailing lists for support issues with their packages. Please read the details of each repo below.

IMPORTANT: these repos are listed here as a service to the members of the Scientific Linux Forum.
Use of these repos is on your own responsibility. We can not garantuee anything (since they are 3rd party repos). Use them carefully!

Important: do not use EPEL and RPMforge together.
If you do you. you will break things that are very hard to solve (if not impossible) !!!

Additional: RPMforge and ATrpms do not mix either, as a matter of fact, they too bite each other. *

When in doubt, feel free to ask before you enable other repos.
Talking about it can be better than fixing things wink.gif

RPMforge/Repoforge
Repoforge is a project that maintains RPM packages for Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), CentOS and Scientific Linux. It consists of a set of repositories compatible with various RHEL versions. This project is a fusion of or supported by various other projects and numerous independent RPM packagers. They provide over 5000 packages for SL, including wine, vlc, mplayer, xmms-mp3, and other popular media tools.
Mailinglist: link
Enable this repo by downloading the proper configuration file here.
Browse all packages here.

ATrpms
ATrpms is a 3rd party rpm repository. The original focus laid upon software used in natural sciences, especially in the field of high energy physics, e.g. tools for numerical programming or such for scientific publications. But since then this repository has included many non-scientific software titles, like system tools or multimedia packages, resulting in a far more generic repository.

RPM Fusion
RPM Fusion provides software that the Fedora Project or Red Hat doesn't want to ship. That software is provided as precompiled RPMs for all current Fedora versions and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5; you can use the RPM Fusion repositories with tools like yum and PackageKit.

ELRepo
ELRepo is a community repository for Enterprise Linux distributions (e.g, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), CentOS, Scientific Linux). ELRepo currently focuses on hardware related packages to boost your experience with Enterprise Linux. For example, this includes filesystem, graphics, hardware monitoring, network, sound and webcam drivers. All our packages are built against the RHEL kernel and are compatible with other clone distributions who maintain compatibility with the RHEL kernel (e.g, CentOS, Scientific Linux). ELRepo packages are not compatible with clone distributions known to break kernel ABI compatibility (e.g, ClearOS).

Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL)
Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (or EPEL) is a Fedora Special Interest Group that creates, maintains, and manages a high quality set of additional packages for Enterprise Linux, including, but not limited to, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), CentOS and Scientific Linux (SL). EPEL packages are usually based on their Fedora counterparts and will never conflict with or replace packages in the base Enterprise Linux distributions. EPEL uses much of the same infrastructure as Fedora, including buildsystem, bugzilla instance, updates manager, mirror manager and more.

PUIAS Linux
PUIAS is a clones also based on the sources from RHEL and a project of the computing staff of Princeton University and the Institute for Advanced Study. They offer additional repos. The Addons repository contains additional packages not included in a stock Red Hat distribution. The Computational repository also includes additional packages, however, these packages are specific to scientific computing. The Unsupported repository is a place where one time packages are put, they are unsupported and may change frequently.

Remi Repo
Although a small private repo, it is used by many as additional repo next to EPEL. The owner maintains various packages for the Fedora and EPEL repositories (and also some for RPMFusion).
If you want to use this repo you need to enable EPEL as well!!!
Supportforum: link
Mail: RPMS at FamilleCollet.com

LinuxTECH.NET
The LinuxTECH.NET repos are a set of small but growing personal repos for EL6 compatible distros, created for personal use, but also accessible publicly on an "AS IS" basis. The main focus of these repos is audio/video related packages with an emphasis on wide support of codecs and as many optional features enabled as possible in all packages. Apart from audio/video related packages you will also find a few other unusual server and desktop related packages that no other EL compatible repo has.
Configuration file: link
Mixing with other repos should be possible (except Atrpms: do not mix!), but there might be a few packages that clash.

NauLinux
Naulinux is the Cyrillic Edition of SL. Named SLCE / Scientific Linux Cyrillic Edition.
It is supposed to be developed by Linux Inc.
They even have a repo for their Naulinux School Edition, which comes also as an Addon DVD.
At this moment it is not clear if this repo can be mixed with other repos.

Nux repo
Nux offeres several RPM repositories for EL6: Desktop, LibreOffice and Misc.
On the Nux repo site there is the same warning as applies for others: use at your own risk.

http://www.jokasrepo.de
The main focus are missing packages one would expect to be available in EPEL for the GNOME2 desktop, chess, GPS (GIS) software, AqBanking for German homebanking and some less known development languages and tools. Similarly to LinuxTECH, there are 3 main repositories: Testing, Release and Backports. All repositories can be browsed directly from a browser.
Compatible repos: Elrepo, EPEL, Linuxtech or RPM-Fusion, Remi.
Incompatible are: ATRPMs, JPackage, NauLinux, Nux Desktop, Repoforge, Russian Fedora.

If you know other "official" 3rd party repos (meaning they are not created by one enthousiastic user), post them here in this topic. They will be included in this list.
But NO discussions about repos! That is not allowed here. Such postings will be removed.

--------------------
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Aug 28 2011, 02:47 PM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

The recent postings on this forum confirm what already has been said several times: be careful when enabling 3rd party repos.
It can't be said enough. This is not a buffet where you pay a fixed price and grab what you want without paying extra.

Additional information for all users who want to mix RPMforge/Repoforge with ATrpms, reconsider carefully.
I have been informed by Dag Wieers that these two repos won't mix (without problems).
Use either one and grab only those RPMS you need from the other.

--------------------
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Sep 27 2011, 05:21 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Hi,
this post in this pinned topic is meant as 'learn by example' smile.gif

Redman nicely summed some of 3rd party repos and now, i have to say, that i hope you have all 3rd party repos, except SL ones disabled on your boxes - lets have a look on my laptop

repos on my laptop:
CODE

[root@orionis ~]# ls -al /etc/yum.repos.d/
total 68
drwxr-xr-x.   2 root root  4096 Sep 24 08:21 .
drwxr-xr-x. 115 root root 12288 Sep 24 08:11 ..
-rw-r--r--.   1 root root  1183 Sep 20 19:06 elrepo.repo
-rw-r--r--.   1 root root   957 Sep 24 08:17 epel.repo
-rw-r--r--.   1 root root  1056 Oct 12  2010 epel-testing.repo
-rw-r--r--.   1 root root   739 Nov 13  2010 mirrors-rpmforge
-rw-r--r--.   1 root root   717 Nov 13  2010 mirrors-rpmforge-extras
-rw-r--r--.   1 root root   728 Nov 13  2010 mirrors-rpmforge-testing
-rw-r--r--.   1 root root  1113 Sep 20 19:07 rpmforge.repo
-rw-r--r--.   1 root root  1002 Sep 24 08:20 rpmfusion-free-updates.repo
-rw-r--r--.   1 root root  1062 Sep 24 08:20 rpmfusion-free-updates-testing.repo
-rw-r--r--.   1 root root  1047 Sep 24 08:21 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates.repo
-rw-r--r--.   1 root root  1107 Sep 24 08:21 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-testing.repo
-rw-r--r--.   1 root root  2093 Jul 27 16:46 sl-other.repo
-rw-r--r--.   1 root root  1655 Jul 27 17:07 sl.repo

all repos are disabled on my box, xcept the "sl.repo" - see example:
CODE

[root@orionis ~]# vi /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo
[epel]
name=Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 6 - $basearch
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/$basearch
mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=epel-6&arch=$basearch
failovermethod=priority
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL-6

The "enabled=0" on all 3rd party repositories is the key to successfully keep your system out of harm...

Then, if you look for some software and you're not sure in which repository it might be:
CODE

yum --enablerepo=rpmforge,epel,rpmfusion,elrepo,anyother-repo-names list all | grep -i whatever-name
or
yum --enablerepo=rpmforge,epel,rpmfusion,elrepo search whatever-name

if it lists what you look for, then install it using particular repo e.g.:
CODE

[root@orionis ~]# yum --enablerepo=rpmfusion-free-updates-testing install whateverpackage

This way you'll use only the particular repo, you need for installation of particular package, that is not provided by official SL repository.

FAT WARNING:
If you install any 3rd party repo and you don't disable it, you're in trouble. Why? Because SL 6 has automatically configured service to automatically install updates every day.
This service is called yum-autoupdate, is run daily by CRON:
CODE

[root@orionis cron.daily]# cd /etc/cron.daily/
[root@orionis cron.daily]# ls
cups  logrotate  makewhatis.cron  mlocate.cron  tmpwatch  yum-autoupdate

Also see file (provided by 5:yum-autoupdate-2-2.noarch):
CODE

vi /etc/sysconfig/yum-autoupdate

There you can turn it off by specifying 'false' on correspondig line.

If you wont disable the 3rd party repos, or disable this service, next day, your OS is updated without you even knowing. It might work for some time, but sooner or later it's gonna complain about broken dependecies!

Hopefully, now its more clear to everyone concerned about his/her OS health smile.gif

cheers,

This post has been edited by helikaon: Oct 14 2011, 04:19 AM

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
redman
 Posted: Sep 27 2011, 10:30 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

QUOTE (helikaon @ Sep 27 2011, 07:21 AM)
FAT WARNING:
If you install any 3rd party repo and you don't disable it, you're in trouble. Why? Because SL 6 has automatically configured service to automatically install updates every day.
This service is called yum-autoupdate, is run daily by CRON.
See file (provided by 5:yum-autoupdate-2-2.noarch)

Removing the "yum-autoupdate" package also solves the problem from having all updates installed automatically.

Thanks helikaon for your fine update http://th166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/rdshear/Smiley%20Faces/th_smiley-face-thumbs-up.gif

--------------------
PM
^
U308
 Posted: Sep 27 2011, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

SLF Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 32

In System>Preferences>Software Updates I have ..

Check for updates Daily
Automatically install Nothing

Also yum-autoupdate is enabled (true)

I have had no problems, in fact was just notified that there are updates to Network Manager,
which I have done. Of course password needs to be provided in this case.

PM
^
jayhow
 Posted: Nov 13 2011, 11:50 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1030

Hi I am new to SL but not new to Linux. I have just come across from CentOS.

I have just read the advice on not mixing EPEL and RPMforge together, alas a little to late.

I am at least using priorities and the base install is protected.

I wish to follow the advice in this forum so I am planning to disable one of those repos how ever I have libraries from both now installed. I assume just disabling a repo while you have packages installed from that repo is probably not good practice.

I would like to do this right first time as this is a work PC.
My plan is to uninstall everything from one repo before disabling it.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Any help appreciated smile.gif
PM
^
spoovy
 Posted: Nov 14 2011, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

Assuming we are talking about a desktop/laptop here, and not a 24/7 server, then yes that sounds like a good plan to me.

"yum list installed | grep reponame" will list all packages installed from a particular repo. Remove them all with "yum erase packagename" then disable the unwanted repo. Finally, find (from a different repo) and install any required packages which might have been uninstalled due to a dependancy from the now-disabled repo.

This post has been edited by spoovy: Nov 14 2011, 11:57 AM

--------------------
PMIntegrity Messenger IM
^
Nux
 Posted: Jun 23 2012, 01:23 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Member No.: 158

Hi,

I maintain a desktop oriented repo meant to complement EPEL; it's mostly stuff backported from Fedora and RPMfusion. It's called nux-dextop and you can use it by installing this rpm:
http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el6/x86_64/nux-dextop-release-0-2.el6.nux.noarch.rpm

If you're after stuff like smplayer, vlc, shutter and what not, feel free to use it.

This repo will conflict with Repoforge/rpmforge/dag, ATrpms and also with Tux99's repo, linuxtech.

I also maintain a repo for the latest vanilla LibreOffice RPMs as built by The Document Foundation:
http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/libreoffice.org-rpms/el6/x86_64/nux-libreoffice.org-rpms-release-0-1.el6.nux.noarch.rpm
(I used to also maintain a repo with Libreoffice backported from Fedora, but now RHEL 6.3 provides it, yey!)

There's also a small repo with Opera RPMs (it's a shame they haven't done this themselves)
http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/opera/

--------------------
Check out my EL6-based desktop remix:
http://li.nux.ro/stella

PMUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
^
feedmebits
 Posted: Aug 30 2012, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 953

I haven't used SL as a desktop for a while, but I just need to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. So from the way helikaon described, by installing third party repos and disabling them with 0. when you then install a package via yum --enablerepo=rpmforge install vlc , the package vlc will be installed, but all the the dependencies like libraries etc wil be installed from the standard SL repos that are enabled with 1.

I found out the hardway once that enabling all 3rd party repos isn't gonna make me happy. But I never understood the working of disabling 3rd party repos and enabling them when needed. As in what gets installed from where. What I first mentioned in the first part of this reply is my understanding of how it works. Am I understanding this correctly, if not which part am I not understanding correctly?

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Aug 30 2012, 04:59 PM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

If you enable rpmforge as described before and install vlc, yum will look for all the required packages on sl and rpmforge.
In theory you could install a package from a specific repo that way.

Unfortunately, if you do this with several packages from several repos (one at a time), it is a matter of time before there is a package from a repo that gets overwritten by a package from another repo. This could happen if you use software from several repos (each carefully installed one by one using a specific repo during each install).

IMHO, one should decide which repo(s) should be used and stick with them.
There is/are no complete combination of repos to give you ALL the software you want/need.
If you want/need one repo to give it all, you should consider switching to Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora+RPMFusion.

--------------------
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Aug 30 2012, 05:20 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

QUOTE (redman @ Aug 30 2012, 06:59 PM)
Unfortunately, if you do this with several packages from several repos (one at a time), it is a matter of time before there is a package from a repo that gets overwritten by a package from another repo.

To be fair this only happens if you allow it to happen, yum always lists exactly which packages it will install and which will be updated/replaced before it does anything, so you are always in full control. No packages will be overwritten without you first confirming it.

Automatic overwrites only happen if the repos are ENABLED by default and yum autoupdates is enabled. As long as all third party repos are disabled by default, no unauthorized overwrites will happen.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Aug 30 2012, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Of course you need to confirm the installation of packages.
But someone new to (any kind of) EL will simply hit Y.
Unfortunately there have been too many examples here on the subject not to caution people about it.

--------------------
PM
^
uminala
 Posted: Sep 19 2012, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 1159

The naulinux Repo seems to be a nice Addition:

http://downloads.naulinux.ru/pub/NauLinux/6.3/x86_64/sites/School/RPMS/

--------------------
Samsung E372 - SL 6.2 I386
Acer Extensa 5230 - Fedora 17 - now with Bluetooth thank to awesome Soldering Skills
TL-WR1043ND - Openwrt Trunk (serves as an Android Controlled Internet Radio)
TL-WR703N Openwrt Trunk (Main Wireless Router)
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Sep 20 2012, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

QUOTE (uminala @ Sep 19 2012, 01:41 PM)

A little more info/background on the repo would be useful.
Whose repo is it? Intentions? Goals?

--------------------
PM
^
uminala
 Posted: Sep 20 2012, 11:07 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

QUOTE (redman @ Sep 20 2012, 10:57 AM)
QUOTE (uminala @ Sep 19 2012, 01:41 PM)

A little more info/background on the repo would be useful.
Whose repo is it? Intentions? Goals?

Naulinux is the Cyrillic Edition of SL. Named SLCE / Scientific Linux Cyrillic Edition.
It is Developed by Linux Inc. At least so says the google translator wink.gif
And as I read it, the Repo is an Addition for their Naulinux School Edition, which comes also as an Addon DVD.

Noteable mention: SL hosts the Repo file:

http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/extra/linux-ink/6x/yum/naulinux-school.repo

I think they wouldnt do it if it were Bogus biggrin.gif

And, according to pkgs.org, they host the only avidemux Package for SL....

EDIT: It seems that naulinux together with altlinux is a initiative of the Russian government (since 2009 it seems) to get Schools to use Linux instead of the Capitalist Evil Microsoft biggrin.gif
In the 6.2 changelog of SLCE is stated that SLCE is "Russified" http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b390/pep_133/smileys/rofl.gif?t=1241899258

I tested the Repo together with epel. There were 4 or 5 Packages Conflictiing. I excluded them in the epel repo file and voila: Avidemux, gstreamer-plugin-bad, vlc 1.1.19 and mplayer install without any hesitation. (epel got priority=20, naulinux 30). SLCE Extra should be enabled too because vlc needs freefont and that package is in there (I installed it manually).
There is quite some Educational Software too.

--------------------
Acer Extensa 5230 - Fedora 17 - now with Bluetooth thank to awesome Soldering Skills
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Sep 20 2012, 07:25 PM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

QUOTE (uminala @ Sep 20 2012, 01:07 PM)
I think they wouldnt do it if it were Bogus  biggrin.gif

Just being cautious wink.gif

Any site available only in Russian might scare off people.
But based on your research it seems a valid one to add.

--------------------
PM
^
uminala
 Posted: Sep 20 2012, 07:40 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

QUOTE (redman @ Sep 20 2012, 07:25 PM)
QUOTE (uminala @ Sep 20 2012, 01:07 PM)
I think they wouldnt do it if it were Bogus  biggrin.gif

Just being cautious wink.gif

Any site available only in Russian might scare off people.
But based on your research it seems a valid one to add.

I think a fair warning about the problem of getting support if a Package is broken might difficult could be in order. wink.gif But they got a fine Selection.

--------------------
PM
^
Nathan
 Posted: Sep 20 2012, 08:45 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 928

From what I recall, NauLinux has E17, but I couldn't get it to work due to conflicting packages. Definitely a repo worth adding to the list though.
PM
^
uminala
 Posted: Sep 21 2012, 05:56 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

QUOTE (Nathan @ Sep 20 2012, 08:45 PM)
From what I recall, NauLinux has E17, but I couldn't get it to work due to conflicting packages. Definitely a repo worth adding to the list though.

I think the School repo is just for Educational and Multimedia related Software. Could be one of their other Repos though.....

--------------------
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Sep 21 2012, 05:59 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

QUOTE (Nathan @ Sep 20 2012, 10:45 PM)
Definitely a repo worth adding to the list though.

Repo added.

--------------------
PM
^
Nathan
 Posted: Sep 21 2012, 06:55 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 928

QUOTE (uminala @ Sep 21 2012, 06:56 AM)
QUOTE (Nathan @ Sep 20 2012, 08:45 PM)

I think the School repo is just for Educational and Multimedia related Software. Could be one of their other Repos though.....

My bad, I must have got it mixed up with something else. I definitely recall getting at least one of the packages from NauLinux, though.
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Nov 12 2012, 05:10 AM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Member No.: 1

What about Nux repo? (CentOS mostly packages). I just installed Xfburn from there (for my Xfce desktop). They seem to have packages I can't find anywhere else for RHEL 6.

To use install the latest nux-dextop-release-0-2.el6.nux.noarch.rpm from HERE. and this will set up the repo.

Redman, edit this as you wish please and/or integrate with your list. smile.gif

PS: Tux, I noticed they also have Deluge, but haven't checked the version against yours.
EDIT: Tux, it's not as current as yours. I just noticed they had Midori, installed that.

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
^
redman
 Posted: Nov 12 2012, 11:39 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

QUOTE (joutlan @ Nov 12 2012, 07:10 AM)
Redman, edit this as you wish please and/or integrate with your list.  smile.gif

Repo added wink.gif

--------------------
PM
^
ddan
 Posted: Feb 3 2013, 07:17 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Member No.: 2273

Greetings,

I'm coming from Fedora. Spending a month every six months to come up on a new release is just too much trouble.

I have installed in vmware to see what some the problems might be.

One of things I notice is the much older kernel version than Fedora. Are security fixes back ported to this kernel?

The big problem I'm having is getting my software installed on SL. I first enabled all the repos, before I checked the forum. I had to reinstall to patch things up again. I'm using rpmforge however I'm missing 20 or so packages I like. With all the repos I'm only missing about 6.

I read some items are duplicated in repos and installing them all overlays items. Although I don't completely understand why this is a problem. If you need xyz library why does it matter which repo it came from? Could somebody explain or give me an example? Could it be because the libraries are different versions?

Can I disable all repos but one to get the packages I want from that repo and then disable that one and enable another one to get packages from that one?

ddan
PMEmail Poster
^
joka
 Posted: Feb 3 2013, 09:01 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 107

QUOTE (ddan @ Feb 3 2013, 08:17 AM)

I read some items are duplicated in repos and installing them all overlays items.  Although I don't completely understand why this is a problem.  If you need xyz library why does it matter which repo it came from?  Could somebody explain or give me an example?  Could it be because the libraries are different versions?

Yes. The library versions are the major cause of the repo incompatibilities, for example (very simplified):

Assume you need an application foobar, requiring libraries libfoo and libbar. Thanks to autoconf it can be compiled and (dynamically) linked against any library versions.

Repo ARPMS may provide libfoo-1.0, libbar-2.0 and foobar-3.0
Repo BRPMS may provide libfoo-2.0, libbar-1.0 and foobar-3.0

If you have all repos enabled and make a yum update, it will upgrade to the latest package versions libfoo-2.0 and libbar-2.0, such breaking foobar-3.0 from both repos.

QUOTE (ddan @ Feb 3 2013, 08:17 AM)
Can I disable all repos but one to get the packages I want from that repo and then disable that one and enable another one to get packages from that one?

I.M.H.O not in general: assume

Repo ARPMS may provide libfoo-1.0, libbar-2.0 and barfoo-0.3
Repo BRPMS may provide libfoo-2.0, libbar-1.0 and foobar-3.0

Assume ARPMS is your favorite repo, but you need foobar. The command "yum install --disablerepo=arpms --enablerepo=brpms foobar-3.0" will succeed and install the correct library versions for foobar. But if you would try to install barfoo later by command "yum install barfoo", this would either upgrade libbar to 2.0 and break foobar and barfoo, or yum may recognize the conflict and refuse to install barfoo.

A workaround for this problems are the exclude and includepkgs options of repository sections, see man yum.conf(5).

PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll