Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> SL6 installs yum-autoupdate by default
redman
 Posted: Apr 8 2011, 11:17 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

By default, SL6 installs the package "yum-autoupdate".
During package selection this isn't visible.

Something to keep in mind if you want to manage updates yourself. Especially if you, like I did, use the Nvidia driver, you want to remove this package.

Otherwise you might end up with a crippled system next time a new kernel is (automatically) installed.

"yum remove yum-autoupdate" solves this wink.gif

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
Laptop: ASUS X58L, Intel Dual-Core T3200, 3GB DDR2, Intel GMA X3100, RHEL6.5 x86_64
Test box: Intel S5000PSL, 2x Intel Xeon E5310, 8GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
PM
^
Jcink
 Posted: Apr 11 2011, 03:41 AM
Quote Post

SLF IRC Team

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

I forgot to say thanks for this one. I hadn't realized this myself and I do not like auto updating *everything* especially the kernel. I've never had a problem with it on any servers updating the kernel and other packages but all too many times on Ubuntu it's been an issue.
PMUsers Website
^
thekat
 Posted: Apr 11 2011, 07:00 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Member No.: 35

QUOTE (Jcink @ Apr 11 2011, 03:41 AM)
I forgot to say thanks for this one. I hadn't realized this myself and I do not like auto updating *everything* especially the kernel. I've never had a problem with it on any servers updating the kernel and other packages but all too many times on Ubuntu it's been an issue.

One of the first things I disable.. but my installs are very minimal..

Charles
PM
^
Glennzo
 Posted: Apr 14 2011, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Member No.: 45

Or set ENABLED="false" in /etc/sysconfig/yum-autoupdate.

--------------------
Glenn
Powered by Fedora 19

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1.5TB SATA / NVIDIA GT218 GeForce 8400 GS
PM
^
foxinsocks
 Posted: Jun 4 2011, 10:07 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 137

QUOTE (redman @ Apr 8 2011, 09:17 PM)
By default, SL6 installs the package "yum-autoupdate".
During package selection this isn't visible.

Something to keep in mind if you want to manage updates yourself. Especially if you, like I did, use the Nvidia driver, you want to remove this package.

Otherwise you might end up with a crippled system next time a new kernel is (automatically) installed.

"yum remove yum-autoupdate" solves this  wink.gif

Thanks redman,
Traditionally (using Fedora in the past and now with SL6) I get a notification of updates available. This includes kernel* packages which I have to uncheck by hand before I hit "install". Is this the only way to do it? I don't want kernel updates because I'm afraid that will screw up my VirtualBox guest machine.

PMEmail Poster
^
tux99
 Posted: Jun 5 2011, 12:06 AM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

Thanks for making us aware of yum-autoupdate, I didn't know about it.

But the default config excludes kernel updates so it should be safe, see /etc/sysconfig/yum-autoupdate :

# EXCLUDE
#  This is a space deliminated list
#  Example:  EXCLUDE="kernel* openafs* *-kmdl-* kmod-* *firmware*"
EXCLUDE="kernel* openafs* *-kmdl-* kmod-* *firmware*"

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
foxinsocks
 Posted: Jun 5 2011, 06:24 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

QUOTE (tux99 @ Jun 5 2011, 10:06 AM)
Thanks for making us aware of yum-autoupdate, I didn't know about it.

But the default config excludes kernel updates so it should be safe, see /etc/sysconfig/yum-autoupdate :

# EXCLUDE
#   This is a space deliminated list
#   Example:  EXCLUDE="kernel* openafs* *-kmdl-* kmod-* *firmware*"
EXCLUDE="kernel* openafs* *-kmdl-* kmod-* *firmware*"

D'uh! I guess I didn't check this aspect before I removed yum-autoupdate straight after installing SL6 cool.gif
Thanks.
PMEmail Poster
^
foxinsocks
 Posted: Jun 5 2011, 07:01 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Just to add to my last post, I guess it would be prudent to add
exclude="kernel* openafs* *-kmdl-* kmod-* *firmware*"
(and anything else in that might be in the /etc/sysconfig/yum-autoupdate 'exclude=' line) to /etc/yum.conf so that things didn't go pear-shaped in the event of a global command like
yum update

PMEmail Poster
^
zxq9
 Posted: Aug 5 2011, 02:09 PM
Quote Post

SLF Advocate

Member No.: 611

Not to stir the pot here, but yum-autoupdate can be really useful if you manage your own private repo or mirror -- which I happen to.

How to put it to work for you instead of against you:
In my case I have two repos locally. A test/upstream repo (just in case a silly thing happens to something critical like Kerberos, LDAP, or pcsc/coolkey and suddenly nobody can login anywhere), and a "push" repo at my office. Each station I maintain has a local repo which gets pushed to from the main office push repo. Whenever I rsync the push repo I don't have to touch a button, run an update script, hope that the users know to run a yum update (or know how -- and this is the biggest problem) or have their systems booted to SL (tons of dual installs floating about) to get the update.

...And I'm assuming this is the reason that things were set this way in SL6 by default. It sort of gives us the same auto-update ability Microsoft enjoyed by default and really targets the exact same desktop users Microsoft did in the first place, not serious Linux people like the sort found here. These kinds of users sometimes don't really get that they are running Linux now, not some exotic Mac or Windows thing -- because they really don't care.

Reliability + decent user experience in a diverse desktop environment is a bit challenging, and Linux hasn't really evolved that way. So SL6's large average-user desktop installation base (as opposed to CentOS and RHEL's large server and power-user installation base) has prompted the project to evolve this as a response it seems.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
jgennaro
 Posted: Oct 17 2011, 01:56 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 415

There is also the package yum-updateonboot. Does this also need to be removed along with yum-autoupdate?

Are there any settings besides those in /etc/sysconfig/yum-autoupdate that need to be modified?
PMEmail Poster
^
redman
 Posted: Oct 18 2011, 05:55 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

QUOTE (zxq9 @ Aug 5 2011, 04:09 PM)
Not to stir the pot here, but yum-autoupdate can be really useful if you manage your own private repo or mirror -- which I happen to.

If you have a system with a Nvidia videocard + Nvidia driver then you do not want to have it updated automatically. The default settings will do that and mess up your installation. In that case you need to configure yum-autoupdate or remove it (I like full control, so I removed it so that I can decide what to update per case).

--------------------

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
Laptop: ASUS X58L, Intel Dual-Core T3200, 3GB DDR2, Intel GMA X3100, RHEL6.5 x86_64
Test box: Intel S5000PSL, 2x Intel Xeon E5310, 8GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Oct 18 2011, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

QUOTE (redman @ Oct 18 2011, 06:55 AM)

If you have a system with a Nvidia videocard + Nvidia driver then you do not want to have it updated automatically. The default settings will do that and mess up your installation.

Are you sure about that? I don't see how it will mess with the nvidia drivers, since the default config excludes the kernel and kmod packages.

I have left autoupdate active and find it very convenient. I wouldn't use autoupdate on a less stable distro like Ubuntu or Mandriva or Fedora, where update regressions happen occasionally, but on a RHEL derived distro I don't see any risk.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Oct 18 2011, 06:18 PM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

QUOTE (tux99 @ Oct 18 2011, 02:00 PM)
Are you sure about that? I don't see how it will mess with the nvidia drivers, since the default config excludes the kernel and kmod packages.

If you use the driver from Nvidia (as I do) you will have troubles if the kernel get updated.
I remember having a problem after a Mesa package got updated, not sure if that still applies though ... wacko.gif

--------------------

PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Oct 18 2011, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

QUOTE (redman @ Oct 18 2011, 07:18 PM)

If you use the driver from Nvidia (as I do) you will have troubles if the kernel get updated.
I remember having a problem after a Mesa package got updated, not sure if that still applies though ...  wacko.gif

Ah yes, if you use the drivers directly from Nvidia then you are going to have all sorts of problems...

The Nvidia install script doesn't care about overwriting files that belong to other packages (like mesa) that's why you experience problems with it. Don't blame yum-autoupdate for faults of the Nvidia driver install script! dry.gif

If on the other hand you would use the nvidia driver rpms from elrepo (which are made to play nice with the rest of the SL6 rpms) then you wouldn't have any such problems!

--------------------
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Oct 19 2011, 06:08 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

QUOTE (tux99 @ Oct 18 2011, 09:56 PM)
The Nvidia install script doesn't care about overwriting files that belong to other packages (like mesa) that's why you experience problems with it. Don't blame yum-autoupdate for faults of the Nvidia driver install script!  dry.gif

Nobody blamed anything or anybody.
I merely pointed out that yum-autoupdate does what it is supposed to do and if you have specific needs you want to update things by hand instead of automatically.

As far as the driver goes, I have the best experience with the driver from Nvidia. That is the one reason I use it. I fear when I use the ones from other repos (like RPMfusion or ELrepo) that as soon as a Nvidia card goes legacy the system will break with an update done automatically. That isn't useful since I look after several systems remotely (for several friends).

When I played with Fedora 15 / Gnome 3 on my own system, I tested the RPMFusion Nvidia driver, Nouveau and Nvidia's own driver. Of course Nouveau didn't perform well, then came RPMfusion and best fps came from Nvidia's own driver. Difference between RPMfusion and Nvidia was, if memory serves me right, somewhere around 1500 - 2000 fps!

--------------------

PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Oct 19 2011, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

QUOTE (redman @ Oct 19 2011, 07:08 AM)
When I played with Fedora 15 / Gnome 3 on my own system, I tested the RPMFusion Nvidia driver, Nouveau and Nvidia's own driver. Of course Nouveau didn't perform well, then came RPMfusion and best fps came from Nvidia's own driver. Difference between RPMfusion and Nvidia was, if memory serves me right, somewhere around 1500 - 2000 fps!

I haven't used the RPMfusion packages (if they have a different performance then that means they are incorrectly packaged), but I guarantee you that the Elrepo package contains exactly the same files as the driver downloaded from Nvidia, in fact it is the driver downloaded from Nvidia packaged up in a rpm (but the Nvidia driver install script overwrites some files/links of some other packages, that's why it messes with your other rpm, while the Elrepo rpm avoids this).

If you are worried about future messes when the driver goes legacy then just install the Elrepo driver rpms manually without enabling the Elrepo repo, so the driver will not be updated automatically (that's what I do).

--------------------
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Oct 19 2011, 09:12 PM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Thanks for the info, I will keep it in mind wink.gif

--------------------

PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll