> R statistical software, repository and installation choices
logicscience
 Posted: Sep 3 2012, 11:07 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1822

Hello.
After reading a distribution comparison review in a linux magazine this week I decided to install SL to wipe out my Mint installation.

I read that R is included in the distribution and downloaded 6.3 iso for install and have found it is not.

I will however press on with the installation because so far somehow I think it is difficult to find and choose a reliable 64bit Linux and my feeling is that something built for enterprise will be good.

Anyway; I'm not properly familiar with repositories. I have found there is http://cran.r-project.org/ where I think the correct location would be /bin/linux/redhat/el5/x86_64.... redhat EL5.... do you think this will be correct even though I am installing SL6.3?

Or should I think about getting a copy of the SL5 iso because I have also found http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/16938292/dir/scientific_linux_5/com/R-2.13.1-1.sl5.x86_64.rpm.html

and I'm not sure if this means R is only available for SL5?

From reading through the forum it seems I need to be careful when enabling repositories but unless I somehow figure out how to download and install software manually then I need to enable the EPEL repository.

Does anyone have any advice on what I have said above?
Specifically now, I am going to have to find out how to enable EPEL, find out how it works and try to install R.

If possible my ultimate aim is to convert the SL installation to a web server with Rstudioserver installed so I can access it in the home or from outside using whatever device I have to hand for connecting to the internet.

db

--------------------
db
PMEmail PosterIntegrity Messenger IMICQ
^
logicscience
 Posted: Sep 4 2012, 12:42 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

well, I am getting somewhere, answering my own question:

found this
http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/repoview/R.html

and when I downloaded the package, th OS tried to install it with the default package manager biggrin.gif
but it hit dependancy failures huh.gif
so I need to figure out

R-2.15.1-1.el6.x86_64 requires libRmath-devel = 2.15.1-1.el6
R-2.15.1-1.el6.x86_64 requires R-devel = 2.15.1-1.el6

db

--------------------
db
^
zxq9
 Posted: Sep 4 2012, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

SLF Advocate

Member No.: 611

You're so close to having it right...

Instead of downloading it and installing it by itself you just need to enable EPEL. Try this:
CODE
yum install epel-release
yum install R

and you should be set.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
logicscience
 Posted: Sep 4 2012, 03:06 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (zxq9 @ Sep 4 2012, 05:34 AM)

and you should be set.

Set!

that worked perfectly from a root comand prompt. thanks.
and now that it's installed I have realised I can acess it from another computer or over the internet with ssh. No need to try and install R studio yet. smile.gif

So now, if I understand what I have read so far, it is safe to leave the EPEL repository enabled because it does not have the same software as SL repo and also whatever I have installed (only R in this case) will receive updates automatically. Is that correct?

--------------------
db
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Sep 4 2012, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Hello logicscience,

It is safe to leave the epel repo enabled if you don't have any other third party repos enabled.

If you have other third party repos enabled you may experience package conflicts.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

This post has been edited by AndrewSerk: Sep 4 2012, 03:36 PM
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll