Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> TV & Media on SL6, DVB capture and media format editing
matrixcore
 Posted: Apr 7 2012, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1442

One major drawback on SL6 and other EL6 series is the difficulty to get DVB capture working... without braking the system. I have fought with Kaffeine for several nights. With EL5 it was working well but now it seems to be impossible.

Also getting all Multimedia tools to work at the same time seems to create conflicts with libraries. Handbrake is good GUi tool to get stuff to mobile formats... but also risks the whole system.

Yes... I do run also Fedora 16 and have tried several Ubuntus but that is not the solution. Tha basics that you take hardware and put rock solid OS on it and then you do not change anthin and it just works... like EL5 series has done.

It would be great for the project to push distro more towards usable workstation platform with all multimedia cpabilities and good documentation how to do it.

PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Apr 7 2012, 07:15 PM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (matrixcore @ Apr 7 2012, 02:36 PM)
One major drawback on SL6 and other EL6 series is the difficulty to get DVB capture working... without braking the system. I have fought with Kaffeine for several nights. With EL5 it was working well but now it seems to be impossible.

Also getting all Multimedia tools to work at the same time seems to create conflicts with libraries. Handbrake is good GUi tool to get stuff to mobile formats... but also risks the whole system.

Yes... I do run also Fedora 16 and have tried several Ubuntus but that is not the solution. Tha basics that you take hardware and put rock solid OS on it and then you do not change anthin and it just works... like EL5 series has done.

It would be great for the project to push distro more towards usable workstation platform with all multimedia cpabilities and good documentation how to do it.

I have suggested just that more than once in the users survey. Welcome to the forum!

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
tux99
 Posted: Apr 7 2012, 09:30 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

QUOTE (matrixcore @ Apr 7 2012, 07:36 PM)
Handbrake is good GUi tool to get stuff to mobile formats... but also risks the whole system.

Why? Can you please be more specific with regards to what problems with handbrake you are having?
Are you using the package from my repo or did you build from source?
Handbrake certainly doesn't cause any risk for the system for me.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Apr 8 2012, 07:45 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

Topic moved to "Software" since it doesn't specificly deals with repo related issues (or software someone is offering from their own repo).

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.6 x86_64
Build server: HP Proliant ML350 G5, 1x Intel Xeon Quad-Core E5410, 9GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 730 1GB, SL6.6 x86_64
PM
^
matrixcore
 Posted: May 3 2012, 03:07 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1442

I am running now Handbrake 0.9.5. I wrote yum priorities completely agaen with all repos and I am using mainly RPMforge. There were some conflicts with compiling from source with some of the other libraries I can not change at the moment.

The main issue is not the playback or converting formats... it seems that not too meny are watching/recording TV while doing something on workstation. I had working environment on CentOS 5.x on HP 8440w and have been trying to get SL6 to make all things on 8540w. On the other hand I have all new stuff working on F16 with Gnome 3.2 on HP 2760p with toutch screen (cool on tablet mode) and HP mini 5101 SSD on F16 performing as PVR/TV and router/gateway. There is a Ubuntu 12.04 LTS homebuild AMD doing transcoding on the background for Android phones and tablets...

...but it should and could be done on ONE MobileWorkstation (with 4cores-8Gb RAM and 500Gb SSD) and SL6.x I tried also SL 6.2 and MythTV to be backend but scanning channels failed all the time...

So if there are others who would like to solve the issues of DVB (and PVR) I would be more than happy to do some problemsolving.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll