> sl-release package versioning question
djalden
 Posted: Mar 27 2012, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1408

Hi,
I've recently switch to SL (from CentOS) and have run into a minor annoyance. The sl-release package version differs from CentOS (and from RHEL I'm told). The version includes the release number whereas CentOS/RHEL don't. For example, on 6.2, the package is sl-release-6.2-1.1 compared to CentOS being centos-release-6-2. The annoyance is in the $releasever variable in yum.conf -- in my centos/rhel yum.conf files, I can use $releasever to obtain the major release number, but on my SL boxes, I have to have a special yum.conf file since they include the release number in the version field (which means I have to hard code the version to be whatever major version I'm using).

Can someone explain to me why sl does it this way?

...thnx,
...dave
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Mar 28 2012, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

CentOS is an independent project, just like Scientific Linux is.
Both use the same sources from Red Hat.
Both try to rebuild RHEL as good as they can, but they follow their own path.

I wouldn't mix RHEL (if you have an active subscription) with CentOS and SL.
Especially regarding packages that might be different compaired to RHEL.
The repos from CentOS and SL should be used seperately from each other (using several 3rd party repos is something to do with care!).

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
Laptop: ASUS X58L, Intel Dual-Core T3200, 3GB DDR2, Intel GMA X3100, RHEL6.6 x86_64
Test box: Intel S5000PSL, 2x Intel Xeon E5310, 8GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
PM
^
joka
 Posted: Mar 29 2012, 07:45 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

QUOTE (djalden @ Mar 27 2012, 04:47 PM)
The sl-release package version differs from CentOS (and from RHEL I'm told).  The version includes the release number whereas CentOS/RHEL don't.  For example, on 6.2, the package is sl-release-6.2-1.1 compared to CentOS being centos-release-6-2.  The annoyance is in the $releasever variable in yum.conf -- in my centos/rhel yum.conf files, I can use $releasever to obtain the major release number, but on my SL boxes, I have to have a special yum.conf file since they include the release number in the version field (which means I have to hard code the version to be whatever major version I'm using).

Can someone explain to me why sl does it this way?

6.2-1.1 is the version number of the RPM package sl-release, not the SL release number.

I've just found a way to query the release number:
CODE
python -c 'import yum, pprint; yb = yum.YumBase(); pprint.pprint(yb.conf.yumvar, width=1)'

The release number depends on from where you have downloaded SL: Currently it can be one of 6, 6x, 6.2 or 6rolling

PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll