scientificlinuxforum.org QR code
Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> ATrpms ffmpeg libvpx error resolution, Here's how to get ffmpeg working!
lewellyn
 Posted: Mar 16 2012, 12:08 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 874

I have written up a little page that says how to fix the "Requires: libvpx.so.1()(64bit)" error people get when trying to install/upgrade libvpx (a dependency in the chain for ffmpeg).

The summary of the fix is as follows:
  • Enable the atrpms-testing repo.
  • Ensure it has a high priority.
  • Tell it you only want the libvpx packages.
  • Update your packages.
For full details, please visit http://www.greenviolet.net/articles/atrpms-ffmpeg-installation-failures-fixed.gv

Note to mods: If you would prefer I place the content of that post here, please let me know (I watch IRC more than the forum, btw). I'd prefer that over it being done for me as that way I can make sure that the bbcode markup is correct and I'll know to update the forum if/when the page gets an update. cool.gif (I personally prefer having the content in one place so that I don't have to deal with keeping multiple copies synced if I make updates.)
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Mar 16 2012, 12:24 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

QUOTE (lewellyn @ Mar 16 2012, 01:08 PM)

[*]Enable the atrpms-testing repo.

I wouldn't enable the atrpms repos at all, unless you don't care that several core SL packages get overwritten by atrpms packages...

For example atrpms vlc 2.0 package will also install a libxcb package from atrpms that overwrites the official SL libxcb package (libxcb is one of the X system libraries).

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
lewellyn
 Posted: Mar 16 2012, 01:50 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (tux99 @ Mar 16 2012, 04:24 AM)
QUOTE (lewellyn @ Mar 16 2012, 01:08 PM)

[*]Enable the atrpms-testing repo.

I wouldn't enable the atrpms repos at all, unless you don't care that several core SL packages get overwritten by atrpms packages...

For example atrpms vlc 2.0 package will also install a libxcb package from atrpms that overwrites the official SL libxcb package (libxcb is one of the X system libraries).

Note that the directions are such that only the libvpx packages are allowed from atrpms-testing (note the includepkgs line added to the repo file). Or is ATrpms delivering packages outside -testing that clobber base packages?

And I can totally see why the issue occurs here... The dependency chain simply needs a newer libvpx than TUV provides. They just don't do a terribly great job at documenting what needs to be done, how, and why.

How do other third-party repos which deliver ffmpeg handle this?
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Mar 16 2012, 02:03 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

QUOTE (lewellyn @ Mar 16 2012, 02:50 PM)

How do other third-party repos which deliver ffmpeg handle this?

Replacing libvpx is not the problem, my repo overwrites that too since libvpx is a very marginal package only really used by gstreamer in the official repo and the offical libvpx package is really buggy (it even breaks prelinking!). The problem is core libraries like libxcb that atrpms overwrites for vlc 2.0 for example.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
lewellyn
 Posted: Mar 16 2012, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (tux99 @ Mar 16 2012, 06:03 AM)
Replacing libvpx is not the problem, my repo overwrites that too since libvpx is a very marginal package only really used by gstreamer in the official repo and the offical libvpx package is really buggy (it even breaks prelinking!). The problem is core libraries like libxcb that atrpms overwrites for vlc 2.0 for example.

Again, using includepkgs, that's a non-issue in regards to this thread. This post is specifically targeting the ffmpeg stack which now fails to install/upgrade since they're using libvpx.so.1.

My instructions are such that only the libvpx packages from atrpms-testing will ever make it in, if they're followed to the letter. From my article:

includepkgs=libvpx* is the real magic here. The includepkgs keyword is a list of (space-separated) packages which are the only ones that yum will see from this repository. As you can see, it allows wildcards and will now only see the libvpx packages from the testing repository.

The emphasis on "the only ones" was there from the outset in my article.
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Mar 16 2012, 05:24 PM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

I suggest adding a big warning about the need for being careful.
That way, people "could have known" ...

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos - How to post images - How to post large text / config files

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
Laptop: ASUS X58L, Intel Dual-Core T3200, 3GB DDR2, Intel GMA X3100, RHEL7.0 x86_64
Test box: Intel S5000PSL, 2x Intel Xeon E5310, 8GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB, RHEL7 RC x86_64
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll