> Virtual machine tweaks
Mau
 Posted: Mar 15 2012, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1379

Hello,

I've installed SL in a virtual machine inside my Windows environment. Therefore, I don't see the reason why I need to log in using a password since I am the only user and I can lock my computer using the main windows password.

So the first question is, is there a way to auto-log in in the SL without using the password, so each time I boot the virtual installation it goes directly to the Desktop?

The second question is a little bit trickier. As I said I am running the SL in a virtual machine (I use virtual box). When I use the "Display Preferences" GUI, I get a message that the monitor is unknown. Therefore I can't set the resolution higher than 1024x768. My physical monitor is running at 1680x1050. Is that a way to enforce SL to display at higher resolutions? I understand that the Virtual Box in between the SL and the monitor may mess up with the things. But I still believe it would be possible to enforce the higher resolution and I would deal with that higher resolution within Virtual Box.

Thanks in advance for the help.

PMEmail Poster
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Mar 16 2012, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Moved from How-to's / manuals / instructional manuals to Installation and setup support.
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Mar 16 2012, 04:27 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Hello Mau,

So the first question is, is there a way to auto-log in in the SL without using the password, so each time I boot the virtual installation it goes directly to the Desktop?

You can edit the file /etc/gdm/gdm.schemas and look for the lines:
CODE
<schema>
     <key>daemon/AutomaticLoginEnable</key>
     <signature>b</signature>
     <default>false</default>
   </schema>
   <schema>
     <key>daemon/AutomaticLogin</key>
     <signature>s</signature>
     <default></default>
   </schema>

Change the line
CODE
<default>false</default>

to
CODE
<default>true</default>

and change the line:
CODE
<default></default>

and add your user name (I use Mau in this example)
CODE
<default>Mau</default>

I am not sure about a answer for your second question but hang in there as there are many Vbox user here and I am sure someone will have a answer.

Hope this helps,

This post has been edited by AndrewSerk: Mar 16 2012, 06:00 PM
PM
^
Mau
 Posted: Mar 16 2012, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Thanks Andrew. That did the trick!

If someone could help me with the second question I would appreciate.

Thanks!

PMEmail Poster
^
Nathan
 Posted: Mar 16 2012, 09:03 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 928

I installed SL in VMWare and I also get the message that the monitor is unknown, but I can select any resolution up to 3840x1920 - do people really use screens that big? - so the problem is probably related to VirtualBox.
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Mar 19 2012, 09:48 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Member No.: 4

Hi,
Just quick note guys - do you have vmware tools installed in the guest (for vmware ) and do you have the virtual box guest additions installed in the guest (for Vbox)?

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
Mau
 Posted: Mar 20 2012, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (helikaon @ Mar 19 2012, 03:48 AM)
Hi,
Just quick note guys - do you have vmware tools installed in the guest (for vmware ) and do you have the virtual box guest additions installed in the guest (for Vbox)?

cheers,

I am not sure. I know that the virt-what is installed (and it indeed recognizes the virtualbox) and Xorg X11 vmware video driver is also installed.

PMEmail Poster
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Mar 21 2012, 01:11 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Hi Mau,

I think helikaon had the answer. It has been so long since I used Vbox I had forgotten about the guest additions.

Here is a link to how to install the guest additions. Follow the instructions for fedora as they should work for SL also: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=15679

Hope this helps,
PM
^
Mau
 Posted: Mar 21 2012, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (AndrewSerk @ Mar 21 2012, 07:11 AM)
Hi Mau,

I think helikaon had the answer. It has been so long since I used Vbox I had forgotten about the guest additions.

Here is a link to how to install the guest additions. Follow the instructions for fedora as they should work for SL also: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=15679

Hope this helps,

Thanks guys. That was really helpful!

Cheers!

PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll