> Which image do I need to install SL?
km4hr
 Posted: Mar 14 2012, 10:39 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1376

Which install iso should I download?

I'm not able to interpret the terse explanations describing what the various install images are for. The one listed below seemed right to me but when I install it I have no GUI. Just a login prompt. I set the default run level to level 5 (X11) but still no GUI. I want to create a basic desktop.

Also, what is TUV?

This is the image I downloaded: SL-62-i386-<date>-Install-DVD.iso

Here is the text that describes the above image:

Example: SL-62-i386-2011-07-14-Install-DVD1.iso (<== why does this say "Install-DVD1" when the example above just has "Install-DVD". Aren't they different things?)

This DVD is used for installs. (<== Sounds good to me! )
This DVD does not contain the entire distribution. (<== What does this mean?)
It only contains the same packags as TUV had in
their install DVD.
It does not have any updates or source rpms on them.
Install-DVD is designed to be burned onto a DVD. You then
boot your computer off install-DVD.
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Mar 15 2012, 06:55 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

First of all, welcome to our forum.

There are several options to choose from. You can download the single installation DVD (the one you downloaded). That will give you a fair complete system, but depending your needs the system will download additional packages. If you use the 2 installation DVD's you have all packages available during installation. That way you can install (almost) everything.

TUV = The Upstream Vendor = Red Hat.
For "legal" reasons the name Red Hat is used as little as possible.

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.6 x86_64
Build server: HP Proliant ML350 G5, 1x Intel Xeon Quad-Core E5410, 9GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 730 1GB, SL6.6 x86_64
PM
^
km4hr
 Posted: Mar 15 2012, 03:09 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (redman @ Mar 15 2012, 01:55 AM)
First of all, welcome to our forum.

There are several options to choose from. You can download the single installation DVD (the one you downloaded). That will give you a fair complete system, but depending your needs the system will download additional packages. If you use the 2 installation DVD's you have all packages available during installation. That way you can install (almost) everything.

TUV = The Upstream Vendor = Red Hat.
For "legal" reasons the name Red Hat is used as little as possible.

Thanks Redman.

When I install using the Install-DVD I don't get a GUI, just a text login prompt. Is the Install-DVD just for servers?

I want to install a desktop.

Could the problem be my older PC hardware? Not enough memory?

Linux Mint installs and runs fine but I prefer a RH clone.
PM
^
feedmebits
 Posted: Mar 16 2012, 09:29 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 953

I als installed SL on a virtual machine a while ago, with a system of 512mb ram. When I selected graphical installer I got a text installer anways. Then during the install selecting dekstop environment I also only got a cli. I then made another vitual system with 1024mb ram and I was able to use the graphical installeren en when selecting desktop environment during the install I got a gui. So you probably don't have enough ram, like redman is asking you how much ram is in your system.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
km4hr
 Posted: Mar 16 2012, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

I only have ~500mb ram. So that is the problem.

Strange that other distro's don't have that restriction. But those details are beyond my level of comprehension. It's no problem, I'll just stay with Linux Mint. It's a good desktop and works well on older machines.

Thanks!
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Mar 16 2012, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

QUOTE (km4hr @ Mar 16 2012, 04:22 PM)
Strange that other distro's don't have that restriction.

If you keep in mind that RHEL is intended for servers than it makes more sense. Those machines are mostly running in textmode and in case you NEED a graphical environment, the 1024MB RAM isn't an issue (since servers normally have enough RAM installed).

--------------------

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.6 x86_64
Build server: HP Proliant ML350 G5, 1x Intel Xeon Quad-Core E5410, 9GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 730 1GB, SL6.6 x86_64
PM
^
skydive
 Posted: Apr 9 2012, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1447

QUOTE (redman @ Mar 16 2012, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (km4hr @ Mar 16 2012, 04:22 PM)
Strange that other distro's don't have that restriction.

If you keep in mind that RHEL is intended for servers than it makes more sense. Those machines are mostly running in textmode and in case you NEED a graphical environment, the 1024MB RAM isn't an issue (since servers normally have enough RAM installed).

Hi redman, thank you very much for your information which is quite helpful. I am also an SL beginner. According to your answer in this post
" If you use the 2 installation DVD's you have all packages available during installation...". Does it mean all packages will be installed automatically or they are just available in the iso and I can still choose those I want?
Thank you very much for your time.
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Apr 9 2012, 03:04 PM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

QUOTE (skydive @ Apr 9 2012, 11:39 AM)
According to your answer in this post
" If you use the 2 installation DVD's you have all packages available during installation...". Does it mean all packages will be installed automatically or they are just available in the iso and I can still choose those I want?

All packages are available, but not all are selected by default.
The default selection is RHEL based.

--------------------

PM
^
skydive
 Posted: Apr 9 2012, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1447

QUOTE (redman @ Apr 9 2012, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (skydive @ Apr 9 2012, 11:39 AM)
According to your answer in this post

All packages are available, but not all are selected by default.
The default selection is RHEL based.

Thank you so much for your time and help.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll