> installing SL6.1 on KVM, sl 6.1 installs minimal in kvm
mehrdad2275
 Posted: Mar 11 2012, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1364

Dear friends, i have a SL 6.1 host system with KVM installed
i want to install SL 6.1 as virtual machines in kvm, i use the dvd install and virtual manager GUI for installation and during installation there is no option to select type of installation (server, desktop)..... ( it always loads text installation not the graphic installation)---- i choose different types of generic and redhat linux, after installation i am presented with no gui and only terminal command line( i suspect it installs as minimal--- does not ask for second dvd), cant install or get gui to work, no matter how many times i tried.

i installed the dvd on the server and it was installed as desktop without any hiccups.

any help would be much appreciated .
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Mar 11 2012, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

QUOTE (mehrdad2275 @ Mar 11 2012, 06:30 AM)
Dear friends, i have a SL 6.1 host system with KVM installed
i want to install SL 6.1 as virtual machines in kvm, i use the dvd install and virtual manager GUI for installation and during installation there is no option to select type of installation (server, desktop).....  ( it always loads text installation not the graphic installation)---- i choose different types of generic and redhat linux, after installation i am presented with no gui and only terminal command line( i suspect it installs as minimal--- does not ask for second dvd), cant install or get gui to work, no matter how many times i tried.

i installed the dvd on the server and it was installed as desktop without any hiccups.

any help would be much appreciated .

Hello and Welcome to Scientific Linux Forum,

The first thing that comes to mind that could cause a install to default to text mode is the amount of memory assigned to the VM , if there is not enough memory for a GUI the installer will default to text mode. I am not exactly sure what the magic number is, but I believe it to be around 768 megs of memory needed for a GUI. but it could be it could be slightly higher.

Hope this helps,

This post has been edited by AndrewSerk: Mar 11 2012, 04:46 PM
PM
^
mehrdad2275
 Posted: Mar 12 2012, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1364

Thanks.
it solved my problem, i was assigning 512mb, now it works fine.
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Mar 12 2012, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

QUOTE (mehrdad2275 @ Mar 12 2012, 03:41 AM)
Thanks.
it solved my problem, i was assigning 512mb, now it works fine.

Glad you were able to get it to work! smile.gif
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll