Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Intel RT3WB080 RAID card not detected by MegaRAID tools, Unable to utilize installed RAID card.
speedkreature
 Posted: Mar 8 2012, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1360

I've installed an Intel RT3WB080 raid card with 4 SSD's attached. It's a PCI Express x8 card in an x16 slot...

CODE
lspci | grep -i raid
06:00.0 RAID bus controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS 2108 [Liberator] (rev 05)

Installed the module RPM's more or less according to instructions provided by Intel via the provided poster: Intel RAID Controller Quick Start User's Guide

Installed dkms and Intel-provided dkms module...
CODE
lsmod | grep -i raid
raid_class       4804    1  mpt2sas
megaraid_sas    77122    4

I need someone to point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this.
I also installed the MegaRAID tools.
When I do...
CODE
CmdTool2 -AdpCount

The result is:
CODE

Controller Count: 0.

Exit Code: 0x00
PM
^
speedkreature
 Posted: Mar 11 2012, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1360

I realize now that there is a fair amount of relevant information not present in the original post. I am adding it now for completeness.

First, the hardware:
CODE
MB..........: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX (with UEFI 2.0)
CPU.........: AMD FX-6100
RAM.........: 16GB (DDR3 1600)
PCI-E x16(1): Firestream 9270
PCI-E x1....: Empty
PCI-E x16(2): Firestream 9270
PCI-E x16(3): Intel RT3WB080 w/ SSD Fast Path I/O "Premium Feature Key" for BIOS and UEFI 1.1
PCI-E x16(4): Empty
PCI.........: Empty

Observations:
1. The firmware on the RT3WB080 is shipped with support for (U)EFI 1.1.
2. There is, apparently, a lack of backward compatibility between UEFI 1.1 and UEFI 2.0, and the devices made to work with each.
3. The original "Premium Feature Key" is locked to UEFI version 1.1. There is a different SKU (but same part number, AXXRPFKSSD) for systems with UEFI 2.0

Resolutions:
1. Firmware upgrade (see Intel's site for this card to get the latest firmware. Firmware updates are cumulative).
2. If the Fast Path I/O key is present, it will not work (per Intel) with the firmware update if your motherboard has UEFI 2.0. See this PDF on Intel's site for part exchange information.

Conclusion:
I will have to remove the raid card from my system and install it in another to update the firmware. I will update the firmware and exchange the key with Intel and post back if it works, or continue this request if it doesn't.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll