Scientific Linux Forum.org

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How stable are the packages in fastbugs repo?
log69
 Posted: Mar 3 2012, 09:44 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1325

I've finally decided to enable fastbugs. I have to have more experience with it.

What's great I think is, that we have a choice, so we can decide what trade off fits the most to us.

I agree with uminala, "We are all here to because we are not accepting the "newest is best" mentality", but we have to not forget that these changes only affect some part of the system (as I see with not much experience on fastbugs), and this is what's attractive for me. In a cutting edge distro, everything is rolling and the combination of changes and therefore the possibility of problems are exponential higher.

So it's great that I have it and it's optional.
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Mar 3 2012, 10:51 AM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

QUOTE (uminala @ Mar 3 2012, 10:42 AM)
You still convinently circumnavigate the fact that fastbugs had broken my networkmamager despite your arguments.

I didn't circumnavigate anything, please stop skim-reading my posts... dry.gif

I said either way it's a trade-off and that you can always selectively roll back updates that don't work for you!

The reason why I made such an effort to argue in favour of fastbugs is because IMHO fastbugs has been portrayed unfairly here, like it's some kind of dangerous experimental repo that will completely mess up your system.
In fact most (if not all) third party repos (including mine) are far more "dangerous" to the stability of your system than fastbugs, since third party repos get a lot less QA than anything that comes from Redhat.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
uminala
 Posted: Mar 3 2012, 12:49 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 1159

Ok tux. i rest my case. pointless to discuss it with you since you fail to accept mistakes made in fastbugs...... its really a shame sad.gif

You seem a little Bit "overprotective" about the fastbugs repo. Dont let that cloud your judgement in the future.

PS: i wasnt skim-reading. You simple said nothing about the Problem. No Contra. Just Pro. Jing needs a Jang biggrin.gif

I got nothing more to say here. 2 Hotheads cant get that sorted out laugh.gif

EDIT and OT: thanks to priorities and protect base 3rd Party repos are relatively save. But a repo with full system access and the right to overwrite Stock-Packages is Dangerous. Thats why I for example never used remis repo. Nothing against the work there, but no third Party repo can overwrite a systempackage on my System.

--------------------
Samsung E372 - SL 6.2 I386
Acer Extensa 5230 - Fedora 17 - now with Bluetooth thank to awesome Soldering Skills
TL-WR1043ND - Openwrt Trunk (serves as an Android Controlled Internet Radio)
TL-WR703N Openwrt Trunk (Main Wireless Router)
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Mar 3 2012, 02:33 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

FYI I was working on a laptop that I had enabled fast-bugs on. The NetworkManager updates from fast-bugs killed the wireless. I just did a "yum downgrade NetworkManager*" and added "exclude=NetworkManager*" in the .repo file. That way the laptop would still recieve updates/fixes from fast-bugs, while skipping the packages that where a "issue" here.

PM
^
log69
 Posted: Mar 13 2012, 05:55 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 1325

Just for the record, the fix for the qpidd problem has finally come today after 2 weeks in fastbugs.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll