scientificlinuxforum.org QR code
Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> NVIDIA driver and NVIDIA kernel mismatch, NVIDIA driver and kernal diffrnt version
meangreen85
 Posted: Feb 24 2012, 05:15 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1324

Hi All,

I am not too sure what kind of information you need, I tried to look around for posting instructions but didn't see any. I will try and just give you all information.

SL version 6.1
graphics card is GeForce GTX 460

I am getting the following message when I run the program MATLAB.

[powder@CaseyWayne PolyAmidNylonCylinders_380umD]$ matlab
Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 290.10,
but this NVIDIA driver component has version 295.20. Please make
sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components
have the same version.

I tried to install NVIDEA driver a while back and then followed some instructions to use elrepo. I didn't start getting this message until I updated Scientific linux from 6.0 to 6.1. From my research it seems like it is an issue of having to reinstall the driver and kernel from the same source, but I have NO idea how to do that. I don't think I was even able to properly install the NVIDEA driver from the website before I found the elrepo instructions.

How do I get the NVIDEA driver and NVIDEA kernel to match? I am a noob, so I will require specific steps.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Casey

PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Feb 25 2012, 07:37 AM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

It is my understanding that if you install Nvidia driver using Kmod, that future rebuilds are unnecessary....maybe someone else can chime in here. I getting ready now to do a clean install of 6.2 on my precision with a Quadro fx3800 so I'll report back if anything comes to mind.

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Feb 26 2012, 01:16 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

QUOTE (joutlan @ Feb 25 2012, 02:37 AM)
It is my understanding that if you install Nvidia driver using Kmod, that future rebuilds are unnecessary.....

I am not a graphics person and curious if you need the package dkms for that to work automatically?
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Feb 26 2012, 01:44 AM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

QUOTE (AndrewSerk @ Feb 26 2012, 02:16 AM)
It is my understanding that if you install Nvidia driver using Kmod, that future rebuilds are unnecessary.....

I am not a graphics person and curious if you need the package dkms for that to work automatically?

No kmod is an alternative to dkms, kmod is basically a mechanism to build one binary kernel module that works over a range of kernel updates rather than just for one specific kernel binary (I don't know the exact details as I have so far chosen dkms for myself as I understand how dkms works and consider it perfectly reliable, so don't see the need for kmod for myself).

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories)
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Feb 26 2012, 01:51 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

QUOTE (tux99 @ Feb 25 2012, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (AndrewSerk @ Feb 26 2012, 02:16 AM)

No kmod is an alternative to dkms, kmod is basically a mechanism to build one binary kernel module that works over a range of kernel updates rather than just for one specific kernel binary (I don't know the exact details as I have so far chosen dkms for myself as I understand how dkms works and consider it perfectly reliable, so don't see the need for kmod for myself).

Aahh, ok
Thanks for the info Tux99 smile.gif
PM
^
meangreen85
 Posted: Feb 28 2012, 04:05 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1324

Ok, so how do I do this kmod install? Do I need to uninstall something? If I need to unstall the NVIDIA driver, how do I do that so that I don't mess up the NVIDIA kernel? Will the computer automatically update the driver for me?

Thanks,
Casey
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Feb 28 2012, 05:32 PM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

Just follow the drill here....you won't need to rebuild the nvidia driver in the event of a kernel update. HERE

This will take care of the nouveau driver for you.

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll