Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Upgrade SL6.1 to SL6.2
fqberful
 Posted: Feb 15 2012, 09:25 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Group: Members
Member No.: 1096

I know how to do this with CentOS, going up point releases is as simple as yum upgrade ... But looking through what I can find it's not quite that simple with SL.

Can someone point me to some documentation on how to perform such an upgrade specifically SL6.1 => SL6.2 ?

TIA
--Ed
PM
^
Zemplar
 Posted: Feb 15 2012, 09:37 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1292

QUOTE (fqberful @ Feb 15 2012, 04:25 PM)
I know how to do this with CentOS, going up point releases is as simple as yum upgrade ...  But looking through what I can find it's not quite that simple with SL.

Can someone point me to some documentation on how to perform such an upgrade specifically  SL6.1 => SL6.2 ?

TIA
--Ed

You might give this a look: https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/upgrade.6x

However, looks like the mirrors haven't updated yet so you might like to wait awhile before attempting that method of upgrading.
PMEmail Poster
^
fqberful
 Posted: Feb 15 2012, 09:57 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 1096

QUOTE (Zemplar @ Feb 15 2012, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (fqberful @ Feb 15 2012, 04:25 PM)
I know how to do this with CentOS, going up point releases is as simple as yum upgrade ...  But looking through what I can find it's not quite that simple with SL.

Can someone point me to some documentation on how to perform such an upgrade specifically  SL6.1 => SL6.2 ?

TIA
--Ed

You might give this a look: https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/howto/upgrade.6x

However, looks like the mirrors haven't updated yet so you might like to wait awhile before attempting that method of upgrading.

Thanks I found that finally. I did manage to run the update/upgrade so we'll see how that pans out.

For those that find this here, this is a C/P from the above -- it may save you some time :

For those a little more cautious

Make sure you have done your backup's.
I haven't heard of anyone needing them, but don't you be the first.

Make sure you have enough disk space. In particular, make sure you have enough space in /var/cache, which is where yum downloads the rpms.

optional yum update
This will get your system up to date with the latest packages. It will also make the last step smaller.

yum clean all
This cleans up all the headers and packages from your old yum configuration. If you do not do this step, it is very likely that yum will say that there is nothing to do.

yum --releasever=6x update sl-release
Note: 6x can be replaced with whatever version you wish to go to, such as 6.2
This will install the latest sl-release your system. sl-release tells your system what version of SL it is.

Updating from 6.0 only yum install yum-conf-sl-other
In SL 6.0, 'security' and 'fastbugs' were both in the sl-updates.repo, provided by the sl-release rpm. In
SL 6.1, 'security' is now in the sl.repo, provided by the sl-release rpm, and 'fastbugs' in the sl-other.repo, provided by the yum-conf-sl-other rpm.

yum update

This is the big part, where everything gets changed.

HTH
PM
^
lemonzest
 Posted: Feb 16 2012, 12:50 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 109

when I upgraded to RC1, all I did was sudo yum --releasever=6.2 upgrade. and with in about 30 mins it was all done, since then, over the weeks, its updated to 6.2 Final smile.gif wub.gif http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2835777/egyptian.gif

Edit: Also its a good idea to rebuild the initrd.img with sudo dracut -f -v so it includes all the new firmware packages (this is needed with the radeon firmwares) as we got the 6.2 Kernel early as a bugfix and it wont be upgraded with the rest of 6.2

--------------------
Desktop: Phenom II X6 1090T Hex-Core (Socket AM3), 16GB RAM, MSI 870-C45, 5x 1TB HDD, Radeon HD 6770 1GB, Mageia 2 x86_64

Test Box:Intel Pentium E2180 (Socket 775), 4GB DDR3, ASRock G41-VS3 2.0, 4x 1TB, 2x 500GB, Onboard GFX, Mageia 2 x86_64

Connection: Virgin Media XL 60Mb/s Down, 3Mb/s Up
PM
^
RalphEllis
 Posted: Feb 16 2012, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 706

Thanks for the quick upgrade guide. After yum clean all, it was quick and painless even with external repositories enabled and a 32 bit subsystem installed on a 64 bit release.
PMEmail Poster
^
U308
 Posted: Feb 16 2012, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

SLF Expert

Member No.: 32

Also went well here with all my usual non sl repos enabled. There was a problem with the google earth repo so I did yum update --skip-broken and the install went smoothly.

Oh, is the sl-other repo still in use ? (The one with fastbugs etc.) I never had it enabled so
am almost sure I can remove that repo file ?

Edit:

Well I will keep it as it remains unchanged from 6.1 but is provided by package yum-conf-sl-other-6-2 and is in any case disabled (by default). It's still remains signed by Troy Dawson, as it wasn't updated ??

(PS. Just installed new nvidia 295.20 drivers. All Ok. )

My Plymouth progress bar still shows Scientific Linux 6.1. wacko.gif
PM
^
U308
 Posted: Feb 17 2012, 04:46 PM
Quote Post

SLF Expert

QUOTE (U308 @ Feb 16 2012, 08:26 PM)

My Plymouth progress bar still shows Scientific Linux 6.1.  wacko.gif

Pleased with 6.2, but why the above and how to fix ?

Edit: I just switched theme to Plymouth details, that way I don't have to see the incorrect
'Scientific linux 6.1'
PM
^
Ocifer
 Posted: Feb 18 2012, 05:44 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 333

Hi,

I just used a 6.2 LiveDVD to upgrade and everything installed without errors or warnings. However, now I don't have permission to compile c files with gcc? I get messages like:

CODE

gcc main.c -o prog
/usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file prog: Permission denied
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any thoughts?
PM
^
Ocifer
 Posted: Feb 18 2012, 07:45 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 333

Saved my important files and did a clean install of 6.2, and it seems to be working fine. To be honest, I don't notice a difference between 6.1 and 6.2 but I'm probably not using the relevant stuff that's been changed.
PM
^
NeoAmsterdam
 Posted: Feb 19 2012, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 181

My Upgrade (a story in 7 emoticons):
  • huh.gif 6.2's out?
  • ohmy.gif I'm already running 6.2?!
  • wink.gif Must've been automagical yum
  • cool.gif No downtime!
  • http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2835777/egyptian.gif Chugging along as if nothing happened.
  • http://th166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/rdshear/Smiley%20Faces/th_smiley-face-thumbs-up.gif Awesome job, Dev Team.
  • Scientific Linux wub.gif
PM
^
Evil_Bert
 Posted: Feb 20 2012, 02:31 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (U308 @ Feb 18 2012, 02:46 AM)

Edit: I just switched theme to Plymouth details, that way I don't have to see the incorrect
'Scientific linux 6.1'

Mine says, "Scientific Linux 6" - there's no .1 or .2.

Also, my updates were automagical - I did nothing more than install available updates, which included sl-release-6.2. Yum and rpm packages were updated first (PackageKit is smart enough to figure that out) followed by 318 updates for the bulk update.

As soon as the release had been officially incremented to 6.2, a few extra PUIAS Addons updates became available (or maybe that was coincidental timing).

--------------------
There are many alternate universes, but only this one has beer.
PMUsers Website
^
U308
 Posted: Mar 2 2012, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

SLF Expert

QUOTE (U308 @ Feb 17 2012, 06:46 PM)

'Scientific linux 6.1'

There is an explanation for this .. http://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1202&L=scientific-linux-users&T=0&P=26634
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll