> Likely SL 6.2 time frame
sbergman
 Posted: Feb 13 2012, 08:25 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1225

Hi,

I have a couple of SL6.1 servers I'm getting ready to ship out to different cities. This is my first use of a RHEL 6 variant in production. Also, my first SL servers for production. I'm sure the 6.1->6.2 transition will be smooth as silk. My CentOS point releases always have been. And if anything, SL seems even more careful and conservative.

However, I would rather like to hold them and apply 6.2 while they are still here instead of hundreds of miles away. I realize that no one can say for sure. But with the 2nd RC having been released almost a week ago... and based upon SL history, is it reasonably likely that I'll see the gold 6.2 patches this week?

If not, I'll go ahead and send the servers out. But if it's likely, I'd prefer to go ahead and hold them a bit longer.

Thanks,
Steve Bergman
Oklahoma City, OK

PM
^
RalphEllis
 Posted: Feb 14 2012, 02:21 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 706

You can set SL6 to the rolling release repository and the distribution will update to 6.2 automatically even if you install 6.1 now. It creates a 6x repository that the distro will follow. Do a seach with the package manager for rolling or 6x.
PMEmail Poster
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Feb 14 2012, 04:56 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

QUOTE (sbergman @ Feb 13 2012, 03:25 PM)
Hi,

I have a couple of SL6.1 servers I'm getting ready to ship out to different cities. This is my first use of a RHEL 6 variant in production. Also, my first SL servers for production. I'm sure the 6.1->6.2 transition will be smooth as silk. My CentOS point releases always have been. And if anything, SL seems even more careful and conservative.

However, I would rather like to hold them and apply 6.2 while they are still here instead of hundreds of miles away. I realize that no one can say for sure. But with the 2nd RC having been released almost a week ago... and based upon SL history, is it reasonably likely that I'll see the gold 6.2 patches this week?

If not, I'll go ahead and send the servers out. But if it's likely, I'd prefer to go ahead and hold them a bit longer.

Thanks,
Steve Bergman
Oklahoma City, OK

Hi Steve,

I would suggest that you install the package "yum-conf-sl6x" if you want the repo's to always point to the newest stable release.

Hope this helps,
PM
^
sbergman
 Posted: Feb 14 2012, 06:09 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Thank you for the responses. So... if I understand you and the "How to upgrade to 6.x" docs, I could actually just leave yum-conf-sl6x out, ship the servers, and I'd still get the *security* updates for the entire life of SL6. Even after 6.1 is considered a very old point release. Is that correct?

If so, I really like that.

Thanks again,
Steve
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Feb 14 2012, 08:48 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (sbergman @ Feb 14 2012, 01:09 PM)
Thank you for the responses. So... if I understand you and the "How to upgrade to 6.x" docs, I could actually just leave yum-conf-sl6x out, ship the servers, and I'd still get the *security* updates for the entire life of SL6. Even after 6.1 is considered a very old point release. Is that correct?

If so, I really like that.

Thanks again,
Steve

That is correct! No need to do a version upgrade as all security patches are back ported.

It is one of the things that attracted me to Scientific Linux.

This post has been edited by AndrewSerk: Feb 14 2012, 08:48 PM
PM
^
patriehecky
 Posted: Feb 15 2012, 09:02 PM
Quote Post

SL Developer

Member No.: 837

Normally I don't weigh in, but since you asked.

SL 6.2 went out about 20 seconds ago wink.gif

--------------------
Pat Riehecky

Scientific Linux developer
http://www.scientificlinux.org/
The best way to get my attention is over the official lists.
PM
^
sbergman
 Posted: Feb 16 2012, 12:53 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (patriehecky @ Feb 15 2012, 03:02 PM)
Normally I don't weigh in, but since you asked

I did my best to avoid it sounding like an "Is it soup yet?" whine. ;-) Rewrote and revised a couple of times.

To AndrewSerk: Yes. I've noticed a number of niceties about SL. Even the upstream vendor's customers have to buy the EUS add-on to get that service. The more I see, the more I am impressed with SL. The maintainers certainly do seem to go above and beyond. Of course, so does the upstream vendor, which makes it all possible.

-Steve
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Feb 16 2012, 02:52 AM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (patriehecky @ Feb 15 2012, 05:02 PM)
Normally I don't weigh in, but since you asked.

SL 6.2 went out about 20 seconds ago  wink.gif

Good news indeed smile.gif Thanks Pat for the heads up as usual! biggrin.gif

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
^
Evil_Bert
 Posted: Feb 16 2012, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 50

CODE
$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Scientific Linux release 6.2 (Carbon)

Update/upgrade was seamless. All working beautifully.

Nice to see a few fixes/improvements from (I think) F14 back-ported to 6.2. Of course, that's TUV's doing, but nice all the same.

--------------------
There are many alternate universes, but only this one has beer.
PMUsers Website
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Feb 16 2012, 04:58 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (Evil_Bert @ Feb 16 2012, 05:11 AM)
CODE
$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Scientific Linux release 6.2 (Carbon)

Update/upgrade was seamless.  All working beautifully.

Nice to see a few fixes/improvements from (I think) F14 back-ported to 6.2.  Of course, that's TUV's doing, but nice all the same.

+1
Not sure I have found all the improvements yet, but the ones I have found will be helpful.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll