Scientific Linux Forum.org

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> SL growing, but still a tiddler.
spoovy
 Posted: Jan 16 2012, 07:22 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5

--------------------
PMIntegrity Messenger IM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jan 17 2012, 03:26 AM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (spoovy @ Jan 16 2012, 03:22 PM)
http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-scientificlinux/all/all

Great link....very interesting; I didn't know anyone was tracking that on SL smile.gif

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
^
Nathan
 Posted: Jan 20 2012, 12:06 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Group: Members
Member No.: 928

Nice! I can only see it growing from here on. I've managed to convince several people at my university to start using SL instead of Ubuntu. Well, one person declined, saying he preferred Debian to RHEL (he must be crazy!).

SL wub.gif
PM
^
feedmebits
 Posted: Jan 20 2012, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 953

Nice biggrin.gif

I've run on ubuntu, and debian before I tried any rpm distro. I just like the way rpm handles packages better. But I think it's a matter of personal preference.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
crash0veride
 Posted: Jan 24 2012, 02:23 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Member No.: 1226

SL now has some embedded use case as well. As of 2012 and moving forward It is now used as the base of our internal Linux OS that powers both OTS and embedded computer hardware within our products wink.gif Needless to say we do and are making customizations to suit our needs and requirements. We do intend of course to push back upstream and also make publicly available our take on SL. Additionally we do already push back upstream our bugfixes or improvements to packages we modify. To give a vague hint our slogan is "Healthymagination". http://th166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/rdshear/Smiley%20Faces/th_smiley-face-thumbs-up.gif
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Jan 24 2012, 02:39 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Member No.: 54

Welcome to Scientific Linux Forum crash0veride,

SL is a good way to "bring good things to life" tongue.gif

PM
^
crash0veride
 Posted: Jan 24 2012, 03:11 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Indeed it is and thank you! SL has now gained a huge supporter cool.gif
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Jan 24 2012, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (crash0veride @ Jan 23 2012, 10:11 PM)
Indeed it is and thank you! SL has now gained a huge supporter cool.gif

The more the merrier, I'm not that far from Evendale and know a few that work as engineers there (mostly in power producing turbines dept.). It's a great company and as a stock holder, I am glade to see you using Scientific Linux wink.gif.

Glad you are here,
PM
^
sbergman
 Posted: Jan 26 2012, 09:26 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1225

QUOTE (spoovy @ Jan 16 2012, 01:22 PM)
http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-scientificlinux/all/all

Of course, that's not counting the estimated 200,000 processors in the LHC Computing Grid, just to name one example.

Quotes from Wikipedia:
At the end of 2010, the Grid consisted of some 200,000 processing cores and 150 petabytes of disk space, distributed across 34 countries.
The primary configuration for the computers used in the grid is based on Scientific Linux.

SL wasn't created to do menial web serving work. It was created to to further man's noblest pursuit: Science.

It makes a nice NX corporate desktop server, accounting server, or web server. But I'm sure those uses are dwarfed by its use in compute clusters.

Hardly a tiddler. It may well outnumber most other Linux's on a total number of processors basis.

-Steve
PM
^
crash0veride
 Posted: May 31 2012, 05:06 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Well now I can officially come out and say it.
I am proud to say that our GE Healthcare Linux Operating system used in our medical products is our spin of SL: HELiOS (H)ealthcare (E)nterprise (Li)nux (O)perating (S)ystem. Example products would be MR scanners, ultrasound devices, Mobile/fixed X-ray, Nuclear medicine devices, etc.
The first of our products to use HELiOS are:
OEC 9900 Elite
OEC 9800 Plus

Forgive the rather archaic website hosted on a microsoft IIS server there for now as I am working with our central GEHC IT to get us a better public front end for HELiOS.
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jun 2 2012, 02:02 AM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

QUOTE (crash0veride @ May 31 2012, 01:06 AM)
Well now I can officially come out and say it.
I am proud to say that our GE Healthcare Linux Operating system used in our medical products is our spin of SL: HELiOS (H)ealthcare (E)nterprise (Li)nux (O)perating (S)ystem. Example products would be MR scanners, ultrasound devices, Mobile/fixed X-ray, Nuclear medicine devices, etc.
The first of our products to use HELiOS are:
OEC 9900 Elite
OEC 9800 Plus

Forgive the rather archaic website hosted on a microsoft IIS server there for now as I am working with our central GEHC IT to get us a better public front end for HELiOS.

Nice. What are the major differences with HELIOS; equipment support?

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
Nexus 4 //Android
^
crash0veride
 Posted: Jul 2 2012, 06:07 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

To start with the easy thing we rebrand the disc replacing some of the SL artwork loading screens, etc with our drab blue and gray GE colors (oops did I say that...) We also include the HELiOS logo which is also the logo for our internal organization.

If you look deep enough you will find our easter eggs for our own internal self dubbed team name and logos wink.gif *HINT* look for DHC AKA: Dead Horse Consulting.

We have taken some additional steps to remove anything which even has a hint of possible licensing issues. We have internal in house scripts which conduct package audits and deconstruct the licenses within binaries or buried several levels deep. They also very verbosely check package dependencies. (Perhaps the SL project could find some use of them) wink.gif

We removed some additional RedHat logos and what not that we found buried in a couple packages.

Also we resolved built and included a few dependent packages that appear to have been missed. (Patrick one of these days Dave will get around to giving you the 411 on this)

Overall we leaned down the content of the disc as well to lower the size/footprint and effort to maintain updates/security patches of the release. Also medical devices don't need games/editors/fancy desktop effects, etc tongue.gif

We also neuter things like Nouveau which get in the way of the Nvidia driver installer (makes it easier on our product teams when they integrate the OS).

Hardware support wise with 6.1 we did not need to update or include any custom drivers to support all the hardware we targeted it with.

Finally due to the countless years we have spent breaking, and finding bugs in the X-server with our medical imaging unique uses we include a modified X-server. It is the EL6 X-server included on the disc but with patches that never made it back upstream or patches not yet back in upstream mainline. Also we added back functionality we use and sadly still use in our apps like X-app group (deprecated from xorg awhile back).

Window manager wise we also include our version of OpenMotif and FVWM window managers. Again with patches that never made it back upstream or patches not yet back in upstream mainline.

So if you are looking for the EL6 X-server which has some of the legacy functions back and some of the more obscure bugs fixed HELiOS would be a source for that. Same thing with OpenMotif and FVWM.

We also include a few packages from epel, EX: yumex.

Other things we did was to include the CERN build of the MRG kernel and according dependent packages and tools. (We have some systems that are realtime)

Something I have given some thought to for our next release which will be based on SL 6.3 (HELiOS 6.3) will be to include the OEL UEK kernel. Intent to fill a performance and new feature gap between the stock EL6 kernel and the MRG kernel for those that need it.

Given the nature of our business one of most important things we do is to put HELiOS through the ringer testing wise. Since we work at an OEM level with most all of the major industry computer hardware/component suppliers the OS gets a ton of testing on current, early access and legacy hardware. Additionally our suppliers themselves for example Dell, HP and Oracle do some additional testing for us upon request wink.gif

Another way to look at this is SL now has more paid staff and hardware testing by "proxy" because anything we find in HELiOS we feed back to SL (or RedHat, or others directly depending on where the issue is).
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jul 2 2012, 09:09 PM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Thanks for neutering Nouveau http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b390/pep_133/smileys/rofl.gif?t=1241899258 Thanks for the post...oh, I see that Oracle has a public server for errata and security fixes (unbreakable linux) for those that don't buy a subscription...didn't know that. smile.gif

--------------------
Nexus 4 //Android
^
redman
 Posted: Jul 3 2012, 05:49 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (joutlan @ Jul 2 2012, 11:09 PM)
... I see that Oracle has a public server for errata and security fixes (unbreakable linux) for those that don't buy a subscription...didn't know that.  smile.gif

I didn't know that too until last weekend.
A clever move by Oracle in order to increase their userbase dry.gif

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos - How to post images - How to post large text / config files

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
Laptop: ASUS X58L, Intel Dual-Core T3200, 3GB DDR2, Intel GMA X3100, RHEL7.0 x86_64
Test box: Intel S5000PSL, 2x Intel Xeon E5310, 8GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB, SL7 BETA x86_64 + MATE
PMEmail Poster
^
scottro
 Posted: Jul 4 2012, 11:25 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 49

As far as I've seen, that server is fairly limited though. We have Oracle Linux 5.x (at the time we were renewing contracts, they only supported their database on 5.x though they'd released 6.x), and I've found that the horror stories about their support are often true. Actually, not incompetence, just that one really has to chase them down to get help--usually. On the other hand, I've had some good experiences with them too, like anywhere else, I guess it depends upon who you get. (And, I've heard a few horror stories about RH support too, so who knows.)

PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 4 2012, 03:12 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

QUOTE (scottro @ Jul 4 2012, 01:25 PM)
And, I've heard a few horror stories about RH support too, so who knows.

The few times I had to use RH support a few years ago (I was working for a global corp that had a high 6 figure sum support contract with RH, so a big RH customer), I wasn't very impressed either, their support guys didn't seem very experienced. Mind you in 2004 when I was looking for a job in London I almost ended up working for RH support, but since their pay offer was below market rates I ended up working for a different company that paid more.
I guess if you pay peanuts...

My point of reference is Sun support (before they got bought by Oracle) who had a lot of very experienced support guys working for them and were always very helpful and timely.

Veritas support (for their enterprise products like VxFS, VxVM, VCS) was excellent too back in the days before Symantec bought Veritas, I don't know how they are now.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
zxq9
 Posted: Jul 4 2012, 04:43 PM
Quote Post

SLF Advocate

Member No.: 611

That's too bad. In Texas my brother's company gets excellent service out of them. But that might have a lot to do with the social environment at each station. Regardless the company obviously needs to do a better job of providing a uniform atmosphere internally. Even with a company as small as mine that can be a challenge if you don't hire people who genuinely are thrilled about what they do -- and interviewing for that can be a trick all its own.

I'm a RH shareholder so I really hope that this improves across the board. A company whose philosophy is that software is a service not a product can't survive if it doesn't deliver on the service end!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 4 2012, 05:02 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

QUOTE (zxq9 @ Jul 4 2012, 06:43 PM)
if you don't hire people who genuinely are thrilled about what they do -- and interviewing for that can be a trick all its own.

I'm a RH shareholder so I really hope that this improves across the board. A company whose philosophy is that software is a service not a product can't survive if it doesn't deliver on the service end!

I didn't mean that the RH support guys that I experienced weren't eager to help, just that they didn't appear that experienced to provide really useful help with obscure problems. I got the impression (both from my experience as customer and my earlier experience as potential employee) that RH seems to prefer the enthusiastic fresh out of uni guys for their support (and hence pay them less), rather than older more experienced tech support guys.

A lot of Sun and Veritas support guys (and gals!) I came across were in their '30s and '40s (a few even in their '50s) with considerable real life corporate IT experience, often also on the other side as sysadmins.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
crash0veride
 Posted: Jul 6 2012, 12:41 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

As far as I've seen, that server is fairly limited though.

You are spot on scottro. The OEL team does not rebuild all of the EL packages. They are somewhat surgical in what they do or do not build for various reasons.

Having worked with Sun at a very deep level for countless years and now into the Oracle years I can say a few things.

The internal expertise on hardware design and implementation has indeed shrunk from what it was, this of course was somewhat set off when Andy B. left to form Arista Networks to pursue his cloud interests. None the less there is still strong expertise in this area and a handful from Andy B's team still present within Oracle. Thus still when it comes hardware design and engineering, hands down you still cannot beat a Sun/Oracle design.

When it comes to Linux expertise, this is an area which has actually grown quite a bit from where it was with Sun. The internal expertise (speaking from my own observations and folks I know) actually rivals or surpasses that of what I have seen out of Red Hat.

I didn't mean that the RH support guys that I experienced weren't eager to help, just that they didn't appear that experienced to provide really useful help with obscure problems.

tux99, I concur with you on this one. Obviously at some point we had a discussion with RH about why we chose not to base HELiOS on RH directly. This was among our many reasons (besides the fact that RH has shown a complete lack of understanding on how to do business with an embedded device manufacturer like us). Everything we do when integrating Linux into embedded devices with a 10 year+ life cycle, within a heavily regulated industry is ridden with obscure problems. Problems both very technical and from business side. Many months back after years of dormant relations with Red Hat we spoke with them. After the second meeting one of my fellow cohorts joked that the sales rep talking reminded him of this: Mine Mine Replace "Mine Mine" with "Buy RHEL" tongue.gif
PM
^
scottro
 Posted: Jul 6 2012, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 49

Ok, that was a literal LOL as opposed to more common CQTM (Chuckling Quietly To Myself). I didn't realize it would be that scene.

Dell, by the way, does offer RHEL support on their servers and will usually extend that to any of the clones, if not officially. Like other companies, it depends, I guess, upon who you get--my own personal experience with Dell has always been very good, getting highly skilled help who were very diligent about following up.
PM
^
crash0veride
 Posted: Jul 6 2012, 03:22 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Dell, by the way, does offer RHEL support on their servers and will usually extend that to any of the clones, if not officially.

Without saying too much, you will find that HELiOS and SL work VERY well on Dell HW wink.gif

(and Oracle HW...)
PM
^
Ezr
 Posted: Jul 8 2012, 02:07 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1621

Back to the original subject of the thread, I've seen quite a lot of online comments on SL recently because of LHC and the Higgs boson (aka God particle) breakthrough (which was all over the press, after all). Let's hope this helps spread the word about SL! smile.gif
PM
^
Jcink
 Posted: Jul 8 2012, 10:30 AM
Quote Post

SLF IRC Team

Member No.: 15

Indeed! I wouldn't be surprised if more people discovered it soon because of that.

Really happy to see SL uptrending even if it's still "small."
PMUsers Website
^
hadrons123
 Posted: Oct 25 2012, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 1546

PMEmail Poster
^
hadrons123
 Posted: Nov 22 2012, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 1546

I fail to see why RHEL/clones and fedora shares fell suddenly.
IS there any particular reason for this trend for the last 2 years?
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll