Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Embedding YouTube, Flash, ...
Nathan
 Posted: Jan 12 2012, 12:37 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Group: Members
Member No.: 928

It'd be great if we could have embedded YouTube videos (and other Flash stuff). It's just a lot nicer when you can see everything on one page instead of multiple.
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Jan 12 2012, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

It has one major drawback and that is that when you open such a page, all movies start downloading at the same time.
If you're on glass that isn't a problem, but if you have a 4mb/s connection it is ...

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
Laptop: ASUS X58L, Intel Dual-Core T3200, 3GB DDR2, Intel GMA X3100, RHEL6.6 x86_64
Test box: Intel S5000PSL, 2x Intel Xeon E5310, 8GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
PM
^
Nathan
 Posted: Jan 12 2012, 02:09 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Ah yes, I didn't think about that. However, would there ever really be a scenario where there are lots of Flash files embedded in a normal thread?

Perhaps there could be a setting somewhere to enable/disable Flash (disabled by default)?
PM
^
Jcink
 Posted: Jan 12 2012, 10:44 PM
Quote Post

SLF IRC Team

Member No.: 15

Adding a youtube BBCode tag would be fine actually. It's pretty common on a lot of forums today and easy to do on Invision Board. As long as the code for the video isn't set to autoplay then there shouldn't be the download issue and it would make watching videos more convenient. On my own forums we do this all the time, it's like [youtube](video id here)[/youtube] and it embeds the video.

I disagree about the regular swf embeds though not just because of the download reason, but because it's a security problem. If flash was safer then it wouldn't be an issue, but even with allowscriptaccess="no" and all the other parameters set, you still have to deal with the unfortunate exploits that flash is constantly full of.
PMUsers Website
^
wearetheborg
 Posted: Jan 16 2012, 03:05 AM
Quote Post

SLF Advocate

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (Nathan @ Jan 11 2012, 07:37 PM)
It'd be great if we could have embedded YouTube videos (and other Flash stuff). It's just a lot nicer when you can see everything on one page instead of multiple.

I hate this.
I'd rather load a page, and if I want to see a particular video, open a separate youtube link.

--------------------
PM
^
Nathan
 Posted: Jan 17 2012, 03:03 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

QUOTE (wearetheborg @ Jan 16 2012, 04:05 AM)
I hate this.
I'd rather load a page, and if I want to see a particular video, open a separate youtube link.
Hence
QUOTE (Nathan @ Jan 12 2012, 03:09 PM)
Perhaps there could be a setting somewhere to enable/disable Flash (disabled by default)?
PM
^
Jcink
 Posted: Jan 18 2012, 07:20 AM
Quote Post

SLF IRC Team

Member No.: 15

It's not an option in IPB.

As long as the video doesn't auto play I don't really see the problem with it. So many sites and forums embed youtube videos all the time.

Anyone who wants to watch the video on the youtube site can just click the youtube logo on the video and it puts them there.
PMUsers Website
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll