Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How to get 2nd monitor working?, Nvidia drivers, 64bit, SL6.1
teslastrike
 Posted: Dec 13 2011, 10:45 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 831

I have added a line to grub.conf file to ignore nouveau, then reboot, then go to runlevel3, installed NVIdia drivers which i downloaded for my card, installation went OK.

But after reboot i see now only one monitor working! I tried going to Nvidia settings, enable the 2nd monitor but it does not get enabled!

It just says something like current settings cant be applied due to: location of an X screen changed, location type of X screen changed, an X screen added or removed etc...

I press a button which tells to save changes, but its not working anyway, i open settings and again see my second monitor disabled, any thoughts?

PM
^
teslastrike
 Posted: Dec 13 2011, 10:58 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Member No.: 831

Ok it now worked after i saved config as a root.

Now here are some questions:

1. since nouveau is now ignored in grub.conf file and nvidia drivers are installed and seem to be working, do i now have to explicitly remove all nouveau stuff completely? If YES then could you please give a hint how to do it in SL?

2. In the System->preferences display i see only one undetected monitor, however in the same menu for preferences there is an Nvidia display settings where i see all the parameters for my both monitors, now is this ok or i was not supposed to see defauld display settings after Nvidia stuff is installed?

3. Before installing Nvidia stuff, i used to see boot process on both of my monitors (like progress bar with logo etc), but now during a boot only one monitor is active, and the second monitor turns on only after the log in dialog box appear, is it also ok thing?

Other than that, both monitors seem to be working.
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Dec 14 2011, 09:34 AM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

QUOTE (teslastrike @ Dec 13 2011, 11:58 PM)
1. since nouveau is now ignored in grub.conf file and nvidia drivers are installed and seem to be working, do i now have to explicitly remove all nouveau stuff completely? If YES then could you please give a hint how to do it in SL?

You don't have to remove the nouveau stuff, in fact it could come handy in future as a backup solution in case the Nvidia drivers don't work after an upgrade.

2. In the System->preferences display i see only one undetected monitor, however in the same menu for preferences there is an Nvidia display settings where i see all the parameters for my both monitors, now is this ok or i was not supposed to see defauld display settings after Nvidia stuff is installed?

Seems normal too me, the Nvidia display settings is the correct tool for checking and changing Nvidia driver settings, you can ignore the Gnome tool.

3. Before installing Nvidia stuff, i used to see boot process on both of my monitors (like progress bar with logo etc), but now during a boot only one monitor is active, and the second monitor turns on only after the log in dialog box appear, is it also ok thing?

Yes that's normal, that's how the nvidia drivers behave on my dual monitor Mandriva Linux PC too.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll