> Installer Selection
footsore tramp
 Posted: Dec 7 2011, 12:54 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 247

Hi,
I'm looking at installing version 6.1 and want to know what the differences between all the installers are. I guess the question is what do I gain from getting the double dvd everything edition as opposed to just the cd, or even the mini cd?
Cheers,
Bill.
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Dec 7 2011, 03:07 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

This is a good place to start: http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6.1/i386/iso/readme

One thing that comes to mind is with the livecd/DVD you have less choices as far as partitioning goes and you get a livesys install.

I usually use the install DVD, even when doing a basic (text) install. wacko.gif
PM
^
footsore tramp
 Posted: Dec 7 2011, 03:54 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I did have a look at the page and being fairly new to this I didn't understand what the differences actually meant. If I go for CD install and update will I end up downloading everything else to end up with the base distribution on my computer? The only other question that I can think of is as I'll just be using it as a desktop OS do I need to get the whole shebang?
Cheers.
PM
^
footsore tramp
 Posted: Dec 7 2011, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

I ended up just using the live cd. And I'm very happy having just spent a few days with Mint 12 I think that this is the better distribution for me.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll