Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 is released
redman
 Posted: Dec 6 2011, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

SLF Admin

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

All details of the release of 6.2 can be found here.

And now the wait for SL6.2 begins wink.gif

--------------------
What is SL? - Forum Rules - Info on 3rd Party Repos

Desktop: ASUS P5QPL-AM, Intel Dual-Core E6500, 4GB DDR2, ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
Laptop: ASUS X58L, Intel Dual-Core T3200, 3GB DDR2, Intel GMA X3100, RHEL6.5 x86_64
Test box: Intel S5000PSL, 2x Intel Xeon E5310, 8GB ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM, ASUS GeForce GT 220 1GB, SL6.5 x86_64
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Dec 6 2011, 09:23 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Just in time for Christmas! biggrin.gif cool.gif
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Dec 7 2011, 04:30 AM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Member No.: 1

Awesomeness smile.gif Thanks for the post Patrick!

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
^
tux99
 Posted: Dec 7 2011, 06:14 AM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 224

This document contains more useful info:
http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/RHEL_6_2_features_benefits.pdf

Some interesting bits (there is lots more in the document):

Enhancements in Reliability
• There are a number of enhancements to improve reliability that have been co-developed with
our partners, Intel and AMD.
• The GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) compiler and glibc (GNU C Library) have been enhanced
• The 32-bit library for AMD systems has been optimized to 32K memory alignment to avoid
unnecessary cache validation.

Enhancement to PCI-e 3.0 and USB 3.0
Enabling system manufacturers to develop new I/O devices faster
• In Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 support for PCI-e 3.0 as well as USB 3.0, enables faster
and wider busses with the limited number of devices currently available on the market.
• Providing a stable, enterprise-ready support for PCI-e 3.0 and USB 3.0 provides system
manufacturers and I/O developers a solid foundation for them to rapidly develop new I/O devices.

Device Driver Support
Key functionality supporting GbE and Infiniband solutions
• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 includes support for many new 10 GbE Network adapters and
Host Bus Adapters (HBAs) available from a large number of vendors, as well as support for
dual-purposed Converged Network Adapters (CNAs).
• Expanded support and utilities to simplify the configuration and deployment of Fibre Channel
over Ethernet (FCoE) environments.
• Added support for new Infiniband-based devices as well as SR-I/OV integration.
3D support for integrated GPUs from Intel and AMD, as well as support for additional
audio devices

KVM Updates
Virtual CPU timeslice sharing for multiprocessor guests
• Virtual CPU timeslice sharing for multiprocessor guests is a new feature in Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 6.2. Scheduler changes within the kernel now allow for virtual CPUs inside a guest to
make more efficient use of the timeslice allocated to the guest, before processor time is
yielded back to the host. This change is especially beneficial to large SMP systems that have
traditionally experienced guest performance lag due to inherent lock holder preemption
issues. In summary, this new feature eliminates resource consuming system overhead so that
a guest can use more of the CPU resources assigned to them much more efficiently.
• CPU resources allocated to a guest can be partially consumed due to pre-emption, especially in
multi-socket systems. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 was enhanced to ensure a guest to minimize
pre-emption and use as much of the CPU resources allocated to them before the guest hits its
pre-determined CPU limits.
• Guests will now use more of the CPU resources assigned to them which will increase the
efficiency of the guest and the overall system by eliminating some resource-consuming
system overhead.

Linux Containers
• Linux containers provide a flexible approach to application runtime containment on
bare-metal without the need to fully virtualize the workload. This release provides application
level containers to separate and control the application resource usage policies via cgroup
and namespaces. This release introduces basic management of container life-cycle by
allowing for creation, editing and deletion of containers via the libvirt API and the
virt-manager GUI.
• Linux Containers provides a means to run applications in a container, a deployment model
familiar to UNIX administrators. Also provides container life-cycle management for these containerized
applications through a graphical user interface (GUI) and user space utility (libvirt).
• Linux Containers is in Technology Preview at this time.

Desk top and Graphics
The X server has been re-based in this release. Updating the X server will increase system
stability through the isolation of the system display drivers and will provide a better base for
new features. Overall improved support for newer workstation optional hardware, multiple
displays and new input devices

Improved Network Manager support for Wireless roaming
• The Network Manager in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 has been enhanced to provide back
ground scanning for wireless networks.
• Improved roaming in enterprise WiFi networks while consuming less system resources.

New CPU optimizations
• Compilation and runtime performance optimizations matching the most recent CPUs.
• Gcc, glibc, gdb, oprifile – include optimizations to support new chip set capabilities – Intel
Westmere & Ivy Bridge, AMD Bulldozer & Piledriver

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
Code_Warrior
 Posted: Dec 7 2011, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 431

Good news! Waiting for new version of SL.
PMEmail PosterIntegrity Messenger IMICQ
^
swirlythingy
 Posted: Dec 7 2011, 06:33 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Member No.: 961

But no mention of support for Elantech touchpads! http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2835777/BangHead1.gif

I'm having to hijack my desktop computer's network cable to type this, because all wireless functionality has suddenly spontaneously disabled itself, and no amount of rebooting, power-cycling, service restarting, etc. will get it back again. I hope the mentioned improvements to NetworkManager and wpa-supplicant fix that one - wireless has just got more and more flaky lately, but this is the first time a power cycle hasn't cured it. And I've never seen the 'device not ready' message before!

On the plus side... I think I actually suffered from the very kernel panic mentioned here. Enabling intel_iommu was one of the things I did back when I was trying to unbreak my laptop's hibernation, and the panic happened just as I resumed it. I thought I might have done something nasty to the hardware, what with closing the lid in a university room, stashing the laptop in my rucksack, running down a cold street, then dashing down an escalator into an underground station and opening up while sitting in an overheated train!
PMEmail Poster
^
Crystal Cowboy
 Posted: Dec 7 2011, 09:57 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 835

CPU optimisations for Ivy Bridge? We-e-e-ell doggie!

I wonder if the Ivy Bridge GPU will be well-supported yet...
PM
^
joka
 Posted: Dec 20 2011, 07:32 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 107

As usual, among the free RHEL clones, Puias Linux was again the first one that has released its 6.2 version ( at 15th December).

But it is a bug surprise that CentOS 6.2 is officially released today (20th December), one week after CentOS 6.1!

Will SL6.2 be ready until Christmas?

PM
^
wearetheborg
 Posted: Dec 28 2011, 01:36 AM
Quote Post

SLF Advocate

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (tux99)
Linux Containers
• Linux containers provide a flexible approach to application runtime containment on
bare-metal without the need to fully virtualize the workload. This release provides application
level containers to separate and control the application resource usage policies via cgroup
and namespaces. This release introduces basic management of container life-cycle by
allowing for creation, editing and deletion of containers via the libvirt API and the
virt-manager GUI.
• Linux Containers provides a means to run applications in a container, a deployment model
familiar to UNIX administrators. Also provides container life-cycle management for these containerized
applications through a graphical user interface (GUI) and user space utility (libvirt).
• Linux Containers is in Technology Preview at this time.

Thanks tux99

What is this Linux containers thing?
How does it differ from virtual os?
Can it be used for security purposes, eg running firefox in its own container?

--------------------
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Dec 28 2011, 01:58 AM
Quote Post

SLF Founder

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (joka @ Dec 20 2011, 03:32 PM)
As usual, among the free RHEL clones, Puias Linux was again the first one that has released its 6.2 version ( at 15th December).

But it is a bug surprise that CentOS 6.2 is officially released today (20th December), one week after CentOS 6.1!

Will SL6.2 be ready until Christmas?

Yep, kinda makes me wonder but good for them smile.gif

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteIntegrity Messenger IM
^
januszm
 Posted: Dec 28 2011, 12:56 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1158

Anyone knows when 6.2 final will be released?

I'm planning to upgrade my cluster of 32 blade servers with SL 6.2. I was hoping to do it this week, but seems like I have to go for CentOS 6.2 instead (?)
PM
^
Hellboy
 Posted: Dec 28 2011, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Member No.: 329

SL has a different release strategy then Centos. Every minor release goes from, Alpha -> Beta -> RC -> stable. It was a big suprise that Centos release 6.2 that fast. Since version 6, Centos does not have a good trackrecord when it comes to release dates/schedules.

PMEmail Poster
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Dec 28 2011, 10:21 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

It usually takes a little more than 2 months from the TUV release date to the final SL. TUV 6.2 was released on 2011-12-06 so my guess is sometime in February for SL6.2.

There is always SL 6.1 till then or CentOS if you prefer.
PM
^
januszm
 Posted: Dec 29 2011, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1158

Thanks, so I'll test SL 6.1 and CentOS 6.2 and choose which one is easier to handle with new Infiniband OFED distribution and Lustre 2.x

EDIT: ok I'll stick to SL 6.1 because Lustre kernel is compiled on 6.1 (gcc) and I'm getting errors when trying to load 6.2 compiled OFED infiniband modules on Lustre 6.1 compiled kernel (different gcc)
PM
^
sbergman
 Posted: Jan 24 2012, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1225

QUOTE (Hellboy @ Dec 28 2011, 10:48 AM)
It was a big suprise that Centos release 6.2 that fast. Since version 6, Centos does not have a good trackrecord when it comes to release dates/schedules.

Historically, Centos has been faster than SL on releases. From 4.0 to 5.7, CentOS' average latency for releases was 37 days, compared to SL's 66. 6.0 and 6.1 were worrisome anomalies for the CentOS project, to be sure. 242 days for 6.0! But let's face it, 113 days for SL 6.0 is not exactly sterling. And 159 days for SL 5.6 certainly gives one pause for thought.

My understanding is that the Centos guys have been working hard on their new infrastructure, which automates much more of the process than before, and integrates a great deal of the QA. They're releasing errata packages mostly next-day, and sometimes same-day as the upstream provider. That 242 days may have been time very well spent.

Time will tell. But I suspect that CentOS has thrown down the gauntlet regarding timeliness of releases in the RHEL clone world.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll