Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> SL 6.1 poor resolution after install
campagsnob
 Posted: Dec 5 2011, 08:50 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1091

I've used ubuntu before but decided to go for SL this time for usage reasons. I dual boot with Windows 7 so I don't really count myself as a linux "user".

I tried out a live CD (put onto a USB stick) to check out SL. It was good and could find my laptop's (Dell Vostro 3400) native screen resolution as well as the resolution of the desktop monitor I usually atttach to it.

However, due to some problem with Anaconda in the live version, I couldn't install directly. So I burned an install DVD and used that instead.

Now, the installed SL6.1 cannot detect the native resolution of the laptop (1330x780) and the screen settings don't provide the correct resolution as an option. The installed SL6.1 also cannot detect the attached desktop monitor either.

Both the live version and the installed version are 6.1 and there is no aspect of my setup which has changed in between so what gives?

I also wish I could say that I was writing to this forum from within my new SL install but unfortunately it doesn't recognise my wireless card either..... ho hum.

If anyone has any advice on overcomming the above issues it would be greatly appreciated.
PM
^
campagsnob
 Posted: Dec 5 2011, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

And further to the above, I have since tried to install the nvidia drivers from elrepo in the hope that this would fix my screen issues. The result is that SL6.1 will not even boot anymore.

For the record I am suuposed to have both intel integrated graphics and a stand alone nVidia 310M card. I know this card has cause issues in ubuntu. Perhaps it is the same here?
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Dec 5 2011, 12:43 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Hi there,
the Dell laptops are configurable a lot. I dont know which configuration your laptop has.

Try to post here output of commands
lspci
lsusb

Have a look at the 'dmesg' output and look for the VGA parts of the output and post here too...

Thing is, that if you really have intel + nvidia VGA it might use the Nvidia Optimus technology. In this case you'll probably will not be able to use Nvidia card in Linux at all, because Nvidia still doesn't have drivers for this for Linux.

Thing that could help is the Bios settings, when some Bioses have option to 'force' nvidida vga to use ...

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
campagsnob
 Posted: Dec 5 2011, 11:42 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I will reinstall and get back to you on lspci and lsusb etc outputs.

I'm pretty certain that it does not run on Optimus drivers (it certainly doesn't under windows with the dell drivers). Typically the 310M will only operate when the laptop is running from AC and will revert to integrated graphics under battery. Under Ubuntu I had it run successfully with the integrated graphics only (there were serious driver issues for this card under Ubuntu).

To be honest I'm not that worried about the 310M (I got SL to compile and run nuclear data codes - not play games). I'd be happy just to get it running under the correct resolution with integrated graphics alone. And really it should do that. The screen needs to read in the correct proportions.

Just to make sure I wasn't seeing things I ran the SL6.1 live USB again last night and I was again able to get the screen to run at its native resolution (1366 x 768) AND run the second desktop LCD too. I'd be pretty surprised if the liveUSB had drivers that are not available in the install DVD. (is it possible that they could be different snapshots?)

In the installed version (from install DVD) I can get only 1024 x 768 with no option to change it at all.

The wireless issue is also secondary. I'm sure theres a repo with a broadcom driver somewhere (once I get used to using yum instead of apt).

Thanks
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Dec 6 2011, 11:14 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Ok,
i'm sure we can get the correct resolution working.
The newest Xorg server doesnt create xorg.conf configuration file, but we can create it manually and state there correct resolutions.

In meantime, you can read here - there is lots of info on the VGA switchin on Linux:

hybrid VGA in Linux

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll