Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> X-Plane 9 Install
dbwrobel
 Posted: Nov 3 2011, 04:37 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Hello all!

I've been trying to find some tutorials (including the one on the xplane website on installing with linux) on how to install xplane 9 on SL 6.1. Has anyone done this/know if its possible?

Thanks,
Daniel
^
helikaon
 Posted: Nov 3 2011, 06:52 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

Hi,
you talking about that demo they got there for download? Demo i can try ...

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
dbwrobel
 Posted: Nov 3 2011, 03:28 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I have the full version with the 6 dvds, but I believe the demo installs the same way so it should work using the same type of method more or less.

Thanks!
^
helikaon
 Posted: Nov 4 2011, 07:05 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (dbwrobel @ Nov 3 2011, 03:28 PM)
I have the full version with the 6 dvds, but I believe the demo installs the same way so it should work using the same type of method more or less.

Thanks!

Hi there,
i tried the demo, but unsuccessful, or let's say i quit, because the demo installer is 32 bit application requiring hell lots of 32 bit packages to install (basically whole 32b environment) on my 64b system.
And i didn't want to 'pollute' my box with megs and megs of 32bit mess...
I'll install 32bit SL6 virtual machine to try it out..

Anyway, because you have the whole game installer, what does it say, when you run it?? I suppose you already tried it?
If not, run the install from CD1 in terminal and post here the output. Also, are you sure, your install CDs are also for Linux? I noticed they supportc Mac, Win and Lin ....

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
dbwrobel
 Posted: Nov 4 2011, 05:32 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I did try to run it using the Linux installer from both the DVDs and the website; I believe using the installer from the website I got a 'segmentation fault', the other I don't recall but I think it was complaining about a missing dependency. I'll try again using the dvd installer and see what I get.
^
dbwrobel
 Posted: Nov 11 2011, 07:14 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Sorry for the long delay; using the dvd installer I got an error about not being able to find a libopenal.so.0 file; I tried looking for it and noticed that the only way to get it installed was to use the 64 bit version (made a symbolic link from /usr/lib64 to /usr/lib - from libopenal.so.1 to libopenal.so.0; not sure if that makes any sense to do but I tried this under fedora 16 and it worked).

Anyway, after doing that on SL6.1, I get an error saying:

error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(which I'm guessing is related to the link I made)

So thats what I get from trying to use the DVD, from using the web installer I simply get a segmentation fault.
^
dbwrobel
 Posted: Nov 18 2011, 04:44 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

So...after another week of trial and error I think I found the issue; apparently the segmentation fault was being caused by the installation of the proprietary drivers from nvidia. After trying an installing using the opensource ones using the upstream vendors os, everything went just fine (with the exception of audio, still can't get that to work for some reason).

I'll try using the nvidia drivers from the repos, perhaps that might allow me take advantage of the extra performance provided by them.
^
helikaon
 Posted: Nov 30 2011, 03:27 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

QUOTE (dbwrobel @ Nov 18 2011, 04:44 PM)
So...after another week of trial and error I think I found the issue; apparently the segmentation fault was being caused by the installation of the proprietary drivers from nvidia. After trying an installing using the opensource ones using the upstream vendors os, everything went just fine (with the exception of audio, still can't get that to work for some reason).

I'll try using the nvidia drivers from the repos, perhaps that might allow me take advantage of the extra performance provided by them.

Hi,
good you have a progress with this smile.gif
btw. did you try diferent drivers from Nvidia? Sometimes the newest ones are not always the best ones ... mainly if you have an older vga type ...

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
dbwrobel
 Posted: Dec 12 2011, 04:17 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I don't believe I tried any different version of the drivers...although now that I think about it I may have used the more up to date ones as after looking at the version number it has changed (my video card is the EVGA GeForce 8800 GTS).

Now to try to get xplane 10 to work lol...tried installing it and got another segmentation fault tongue.gif
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll