> New kernel and mesa, needed for Intel Graphics
kknight
 Posted: Oct 14 2011, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 926

hello everyone.
I'd like to install SL 6.1 on a machine with Intel i3 2105 CPU which carries Intel Graphics 3000 chip. According to this post, we need latest kernel and new Mesa 7.11 in order to have smooth and fast 3D graphics.
I don't do any serious benchmark - just run Extreme Tux Racer with "Display fps" option on, and look the numbers.
Having said that, it is desirable to have stable enterprise-class Linux, yet with newer kernel and mesa.
If this is possible, your advice would be appreciated!
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Oct 14 2011, 12:08 PM
Quote Post

SLF Guru

Member No.: 224

QUOTE (kknight @ Oct 14 2011, 01:02 PM)
hello everyone.
I'd like to install SL 6.1 on a machine with Intel i3 2105 CPU which carries Intel Graphics 3000 chip. According to this post, we need latest kernel and new Mesa 7.11 in order to have smooth and fast 3D graphics.
I don't do any serious benchmark - just run Extreme Tux Racer with "Display fps" option on, and look the numbers.
Having said that, it is desirable to have stable enterprise-class Linux, yet with newer kernel and mesa.
If this is possible, your advice would be appreciated!

Don't get confused by the kernel version number of RHEL / SL 6.1, Redhat backports features from newer kernels, especially regarding hardware support.
I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that the SL 6.1 kernel supports the latest generation of i3/i5/i7 cpus. Don't know about mesa though.

This is why I prefer using a Nvidia graphics card, the Nvidia drivers work fine even with old kernels or old versions of X and can be upgraded independently of the rest of the system.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
kknight
 Posted: Oct 14 2011, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

I've already tried SL 6.1 and surely there IS some support. Everything works fine, but 3D performance could be better. The link above in my previous post says that Sandy Bridge support has been improved lately, so it produces twice as more fps (in my tests).
So I really wait for these fixes to be backportes to 2.6.32.x.x.x kernel for SL.
Should I wait for 6.2, or is there any faster way to get it done?
PM
^
kknight
 Posted: Oct 17 2011, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Any help is appreciated.
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Oct 17 2011, 11:23 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (kknight @ Oct 14 2011, 12:15 PM)
I've already tried SL 6.1 and surely there IS some support. Everything works fine, but 3D performance could be better. The link above in my previous post says that Sandy Bridge support has been improved lately, so it produces twice as more fps (in my tests).
So I really wait for these fixes to be backportes to 2.6.32.x.x.x kernel for SL.
Should I wait for 6.2, or is there any faster way to get it done?

Hi,
well, imho, i'd wait In the meantime, you can try to recompile e.g.. vanilla kernel from kernel.org and try it out :-)

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
kknight
 Posted: Oct 18 2011, 08:06 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Hmm, I didn't think about that. Thank you!
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll