Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> How to transfer pictures from Android Nexus 4 to SL 6
joka
 Posted: Jul 18 2013, 08:53 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

I have recently found a strange discussion about how to transfer files from Android to CentOS 6 on the CentOS forum: How does one transfer files from Android Samsung Galaxy S3 to Centos 6? It ended with the frustrated conclusion "If your need is primarily for a desktop OS, you are probably better off using Fedora, Ubuntu, or Mint."

Problem is the newer Nexus models coming out from Google use only MTP and PTP for accessing the internal “SD card” and have no traditional USB Mass Storage interface exposed.

In case you want to transfer pictures or movies from a Nexus 4 (or a similar Android 4+ smartphones) to SL/CentOS 6, this is what I simply did:

On Android:
1. Unlock the phone
2. Go to Settings -> Storage -> : -> USB Connection (PC)
3. Select Camera mode (PTP)
4. Connect your smartphone with the USB cable to your PC/notebook, running CentOS/SL6 and GNOME desktop
(The sequence of these steps is important!)

Gnome/Nautilus will popup the usual dialog to select an application for the camera (folder/gthumb/gThumb Import). Nautilus will open a URL llke gphoto2://[usb:001,009]/ containing a directory DCIM/Camera with the pictures and movies. Then you can copy files simply by drag and drop.
This is working out-of-box on SL6.4 64-bit and CentOS 6.4 32-bit. Nothing else than I would expect from a digital camera or a smartphone in camera mode.

MTP mode would give you full access to the SD card of the phone, but it is not suppurted by SL/CentOS6 and also has problems in other current Linux distributions. For alternative and more complex methods to transfer files, see e.g. [HOWTO] Mount Nexus 4 in Linux

PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jul 18 2013, 10:16 PM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

Thanks joka, I have a Nexus 4 also! biggrin.gif

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
scottro
 Posted: Jul 18 2013, 11:44 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 49

I'm the one that suggested that. The OP is getting frustrated at the difficulty in doing some things that are quite simpler in more up to date systems. For example for that poster, mtpfs, which used to work for them no longer works. (Actually, it seems to have stopped working, at least on mp3s, for me too.)

On Arch, or Fedora, with a minimal install, I can just install jmtpfs on Arch or simple-mtpfs on Fedora, and done. Plug in phone, leave it at defaults, I can mount and transfer. Trying on GUI default Lubuntu even easier, plug in phone and it shows up.

When I first got the phone, I'd seen that camera method listed somwhere.

I go to settings=> storage. No option for USB. But once I connect, I have an option to change it to camera.
So, I do that.

However, I'm not running Gnome. And I don't see any way to mount it.

So, now I go to a CentOS box that does have Gnome. Try it again. Still nothing.

This is a Samsung Galaxy SIII, and I'm not even sure what it's running. But, with any other system that is running a more current version of Linux, I don't even have to worry, it Just Works.™.

And that is why I suggested to the OP, that for their needs, which are basic desktop needs, they might be better off using something else.

PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 19 2013, 12:05 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 224

QUOTE (scottro @ Jul 19 2013, 12:44 AM)
basic desktop needs

For some people for sure, although I don't understand why these newer phones have stopped supporting USB mass storage mode (seems a pretty stupid idea to me to stop supporting that), my old 'non-smart' phone supports it and works just fine with Centos/SL.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
scottro
 Posted: Jul 19 2013, 12:51 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Ah, there was a reason for that. I should bookmark it because I keep having to find it. Something to do with space.....

Found it.
http://www.androidcentral.com/ics-feature-mtp-what-it-why-use-it-and-how-set-it

PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Jul 19 2013, 02:03 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Member No.: 54

Just took a galaxy S3 running Andriod version 4.1.2 plugged it in to a fresh install of SL6.4 gnome and it was auto mounted without issue here.
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jul 19 2013, 06:43 PM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

I'll plug my Nexus 4 in next time I boot up.....report back smile.gif

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
Nexus 4 //Android
^
scottro
 Posted: Jul 19 2013, 06:55 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

I tried that and it showed. However, like the OP had discovered some time back, the directories would show, but not their contents. That is, I could see the phone and the directory, for example, Ringtones, on the phone. However, if I opened Ringtones, it showed as empty. Andrew, did you investigate that you could transfer to and from directories on the phone?
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Jul 19 2013, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Member No.: 54

QUOTE (scottro @ Jul 19 2013, 01:55 PM)
  Andrew, did you investigate that you could transfer to and from directories on the phone?

No, well not till you mentioned it. Just as you mentioned, I now can not transfer to and from and the directories are visable but the contents are not. There is a popup on the phone that says something like no software on your pc that can recognize your device. go to samsung.com/kies to download PC Kies. I have not done that to see if there is a linux version yet.
PM
^
scottro
 Posted: Jul 19 2013, 09:18 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Well, the solution that worked for me was to manually download and compile mtpfs. However, it only worked on one of three machines where I tried it.

Going back to the first post in this thread, this is the reason I suggested that the OP use another distribution. It can be done, one way or another, possibly with Kies, possibly with someone else. In the same way, I can install (I think) Libreoffice 4.04. which will open these documents my wife sends me. (Nope, not divorce papers) smile.gif However, it's more work than it is on Fedora, Ubuntu, or Mint. In both cases, as neither one is something that I do very often, it's probably just easier to put in a small VM of say, Lubuntu (I pick that because it's lighter on resources), and use that for these things.

My point is just that for some newcomers, there are going to be limitations when one uses CentOS, SL, or another distribution that emphasizes stability over other things. It makes it a bit more difficult to use as a desktop than Mint, Ubuntu, or Fedora when it's working properly.

On the SL forum, I don't think it's necessary to go into any detail about what the advantages of using older, but well tested software, especially in a business environment. We all know the advantages, or we wouldn't be here.)

PM
^
joka
 Posted: Jul 22 2013, 08:50 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 107

QUOTE (scottro @ Jul 19 2013, 12:44 AM)
When I first got the phone, I'd seen that camera method listed somwhere.   

I go to settings=> storage.  No option for USB.  But once I connect, I have an option to change it to camera.
So, I do that.

However, I'm not running Gnome.   And I don't see any way to mount it.

So, now I go to a CentOS box that does have Gnome.   Try it again.  Still nothing.

This is a Samsung Galaxy SIII, and I'm not even sure what it's running....

Android 4.2.2 on Nexus 4 offers a menu in Settings->Storage, upper right corner (3 dots), see 1st screenshot with one entry "USB-Connection" where you can set the USB connection mode persistently. This can easily be overlooked. But it may be missing on Samsung Galaxy phones (I have no Galaxy to check). In this case I would regard it as a Samsung problem/bug.

user posted image user posted image

(I have downloaded both screenshots from Android to SL6 by the method described in my 1st post)
PM
^
scottro
 Posted: Jul 27 2013, 05:35 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

4.2.x isn't yet available for the Galaxy SIII as far as I can tell. A very quick google indicated one possibility of it coming out in July, though I suspect that isn't happening, otherwise November. Apparently part of the reason is to not hurt sales of some newer phones.

At any rate, the 4.1.x seems to have the same thing, connect as MTP or Camera, but as seen through the thread, it doesn't consistently work for everyone.
PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jul 28 2013, 05:00 AM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

My Nexus 4 just upgraded to 4.3. I'll try it tomorrow

--------------------
Nexus 4 //Android
^
tech4tall
 Posted: Nov 14 2015, 09:06 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3566

Very helpful tutorial, though it's a bit complicated when comparing to Windows. For phone management, SL seems not a good option.

--------------------
Linux dev with Python & QT | Webmaster of a small site focus on Android
PM
^
Hallmkia
 Posted: Dec 16 2015, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3580

Using Google account (like Gmail, Google Play ) to help transfer contacts from android to another phone. So make sure you have backed up your Android phone. Go to Settings on your Android phone and choose "Accounts and Sync" or similar. Enter your GMail account details and enable synchronisation. Your android phone contacts will synchronise Google Contacts .
Then go to your new phone . Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars and add your Gmail account. Then you can sync your Google contacts to phone .

--------------------
Age wrinkles the body, Quitting wrinkles the soul.
PMUsers Website
^
sulewel
 Posted: May 26 2016, 08:50 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3701

How to do this on Linux box? I found out there are no GUI program for this.

This post has been edited by burakkucat: Dec 19 2016, 03:11 PM
PM
^
Zreailly
 Posted: Jul 27 2016, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3732

Using Google account (like Gmail, Google Play ) to help transfer contacts from android to another phone. So make sure you have backed up your Android phone. Go to Settings on your Android phone and choose "Accounts and Sync" or similar. Enter your GMail account details and enable synchronisation. Your android phone contacts will synchronise Google Contacts .

I also used Mobiledic phone transfer program to transfer contacts from my Android to iPhone 6s. it works for all types of files like messages, contacts, photos, videos, apps, and more...

This post has been edited by tux99: Dec 20 2016, 10:27 AM
PM
^
LettieRamos
 Posted: Dec 19 2016, 07:47 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3804

QUOTE (Zreailly @ Jul 27 2016, 08:43 AM)

I also used Mobiledic phone transfer program to transfer contacts from my Android to iPhone 6s. it works for all types of files like messages, contacts, photos, videos, apps, and more...

That's meaningless link that lead to malware!

--------------------
`
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Dec 19 2016, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

QUOTE (LettieRamos @ Dec 19 2016, 08:47 AM)

Could you be a bit more specific, which link exactly?

--------------------
PM
^
LettieRamos
 Posted: Dec 20 2016, 04:00 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3804

QUOTE (inittux @ Dec 19 2016, 02:23 PM)
QUOTE (LettieRamos @ Dec 19 2016, 08:47 AM)

Could you be a bit more specific, which link exactly?

I removed it from Zreailly reply.

--------------------
`
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Dec 20 2016, 10:28 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Member No.: 224

Moderator note: thanks for reporting that the link leads to malware, I have removed the link now.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Dec 21 2016, 08:17 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

QUOTE (LettieRamos @ Dec 20 2016, 05:00 AM)

I removed it from Zreailly reply.

oh I see. I always have noscript running in my web browser wink.gif Anyway seems you are new, feel free to post a hello in the introduce yourself topic smile.gif

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll