> video driver trouble with update SL7.2 to7.3
4kuser
 Posted: Feb 1 2017, 02:31 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3825

Hi,

my problem ist that the video driver does not work for me anymore since I updated to SL7.3. I only get a black screen with visible and manoeuvrable mouse pointer. The computer is unusable.

I have AMD FirePro W5000 Graphics and a 4k screen from Dell connected by display port 1.1 (version 1.2 never worked for me). So far I was using the display driver fglrx-15.302.2301 (file 15.302.2301-linux-retail_end_user.zip ("AMD FirePro Software Suite Multilanguage"). You get it by clicking on the "64bit"-link in the Linux column of the W5000 on AMD's Workstation Graphics Drivers website:

Questions:
Is there somewhere a display driver which works ? Either a generic driver from the Linux community or a driver from AMD, somewhere hidden in their website?

Or, if not, what else can I do ? unsure.gif

Thanks in advance

Roland
PMEmail Poster
^
Tshlin
 Posted: Feb 1 2017, 11:47 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3822

I had the exact same problem, then I realised that fglrx is not supported for any RHEL, Centos or SL 7.3. Now they have switched to a different driver AMDGPU-Pro, just uninstall fglrx and download the new driver for 7.3 here http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/workstation?os=Linux+x86_64#pro-driver is at the top.

P.S. Everything worked smoothly after I changed the driver except videos, if you encounter that issue too, just remove the Mesa-based VDPAU drivers.
PM
^
4kuser
 Posted: Feb 2 2017, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Thanks for your helpful answer. I think I downloaded the driver you mentioned and tried to install it. However, it's a bit tricky: The installation seems to require an internet connection in order to download additional files. Without this connection installation fails.

My problem is that ,so far, I never have set up the network from the command line, which has to be done here, since i have no GUI. The only way to access the system in the moment is booting until the (white) screen appears, telling that there was some X-starting problem and then pressing Ctrl+Alt+F5.

I'm reading now how tos how to start the network, but if anybody could tell me in brief how to establish a connection to my router (ip 192.168.1.1) and receive an ip address by DHCP I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Roland
PMEmail Poster
^
4kuser
 Posted: Feb 2 2017, 11:39 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Thanks, I have solved the problem after finding out how the network can be started from the command line (command "nmtui"). The installation of the video driver with active internet connection went smoothly.

However, the whole issue was no promotion for Linux. A system update which renders the video driver installed useless and leaves you with an unusable system deters the normal user. With a little bit more foresight situations like this could easily be avoided. First of all a warning that this could happen could be issued. And it should be possible to offer a fall back video driver, e.g. the one which is active after a first Installation of (Scientific) Linux. But there does not seem to be a way to install this first driver once a manufacturer specific one was installed (at least, I did not find it). This would have spared me hours of unnecessary and futile attempts to find out what went wrong and how to fix it.
Windows does these things better and more customer friendly (despite its other disadvantages).

Roland
PMEmail Poster
^
Tshlin
 Posted: Feb 3 2017, 04:10 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

I'm glad you could solve your problem, yeah traditionally I've been struggling with graphic drivers on Linux, but I hope these new drivers AMD is using since they are open source will be better integrated to the OS. Although I wish there would have released more documentation, I think it's still in Beta. But we will see on the next updates how it behaves.
PM
^
4kuser
 Posted: Mar 1 2017, 09:59 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

SL 7.3 is up and running on our machine with the new AMD display drivers. Since there is an new kernel update and we had had troubles with kernel updates in the past my question is:

Has anybody experiences with this new kernel update and AMD display drivers? Does this kernel update affect the performance of the display drivers in any way ?

Thanks in advance

Roland
PMEmail Poster
^
Tshlin
 Posted: Mar 3 2017, 04:17 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

I've tried to update the kernel and it broke again. So I'm not touching the kernel again unless there is a new update from AMD.
PM
^
4kuser
 Posted: Mar 6 2017, 04:09 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (Tshlin @ Mar 3 2017, 04:17 AM)
I've tried to update the kernel and it broke again. So I'm not touching the kernel again unless there is a new update from AMD.

Thanks very much for this feedback.It seems that one has to be extremely careful with kernel updates when using AMD display drivers.

PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll