Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Trouble with video files since 7.3, experiencing problems with video files
Tshlin
 Posted: Jan 29 2017, 08:23 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3822

Hello, overall I'm quite happy since I updated my system to the version 7.3, I have an AMD APU Kaveri and I have installed SL since I bought it, I think it was version 7.1 back then and I was using the Crimson proprietary drivers which worked fine until this week because they aren't compatible with EL 7.3, that turned out quite well for me because AMD now uses the open source drivers AMDGPU-PRO that are built upon Mesa or something (I'm not an expert so I'm not 100% sure about what I'm saying) but my experience is much better now my system is performing better with just a little issue that I don't know how to solve.

To play video I have Totem that came with SL, then I installed VLC for certain options and I had Kodi to use my system as a home theater using my phone as a remote. VLC and Kodi are completely broken now, whenever I reproduce a MP4 or Avi file the computer freezes, OGV does work though. Totem does reproduce MP4 files fine, so I'm using that for now but can't open TS files. Naturally the first thing I've tried was to reinstall all players and also reinstall ffmpeg and gstream and the plugins but the problem is still there, also I tried reinstalling the drivers a couple of times.

Here are the some of the messages I receive:

VLC when playing a MP4 file:
CODE
Warning: LLVM emitted unknown config register: 0x4
[00007fefccd649e8] avcodec decoder: Using G3DVL VDPAU Driver Shared Library version 1.0 for hardware decoding.

then I can't close VLC at all I close the window but it's still running in the background and if I opened it with the terminal Ctrl-C doesn't work and I can't kill it with the system monitor, and it's just there until I try to shut down my PC and sometimes it turns off but sometimes it doesn't shut off I have to hard reset.

Totem when opening a TS file:

CODE
libva error: va_getDriverName() failed with unknown libva error,driver_name=(null)
** Message: Missing plugin: gstreamer|1.0|totem|decodificador H.264|decoder-video/x-h264, stream-format=(string)byte-stream, alignment=(string)nal, parsed=(boolean)true, profile=(string)main, level=(string)2.1 (decodificador H.264)
** Message: PackageKit: structure: gstreamer1(decoder-video/x-h264)()(64bit)
** Message: PackageKit: Did not install codec: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PackageKit.Modify.allPackagesAlreadyInstalled: The packages are already all installed
** Message: No installation candidate for missing plugins found.
DtsGetHWFeatures: Create File Failed
Running DIL (3.22.0) Version
DtsDeviceOpen: Opening HW in mode 0
DtsDeviceOpen: Create File Failed
libva info: VA-API version 0.34.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/amdgpu_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/amdgpu_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns -1
libva error: va_getDriverName() failed with unknown libva error,driver_name=(null)

Totem tells me it needs to install the H.264 decoder but then just tells me I already have it installed and does nothing after. So I'm not sure what is causing that issue, I'm not sure if it's the GPU driver but on the other hand with 3D graphics or games it's working quite well, also maybe something is broken with the codecs but reinstalling them didn't work, and also I'm not sure if I reinstalled the right ones that can also be it, so I dont' know where to begin without breaking anything.
PM
^
Tshlin
 Posted: Feb 1 2017, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3822

And, I fixed it tongue.gif it was definitely a problem with the drivers, well not all AMDGPU drivers but the "Mesa-based VDPAU drivers" so I just uninstalled that package and my system is rock solid again. So if anyone has the same issue that's an easy fix.
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Feb 2 2017, 11:22 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Tshlin @ Feb 1 2017, 05:34 AM)
And, I fixed it  tongue.gif it was definitely a problem with the drivers, well not all AMDGPU drivers but the "Mesa-based VDPAU drivers" so I just uninstalled that package and my system is rock solid again. So if anyone has the same issue that's an easy fix.

Thanks for sharing solution :-)

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
4kuser
 Posted: Mar 27 2017, 09:25 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3825

QUOTE (Tshlin @ Feb 1 2017, 05:34 AM)
And, I fixed it  tongue.gif it was definitely a problem with the drivers, well not all AMDGPU drivers but the "Mesa-based VDPAU drivers" so I just uninstalled that package and my system is rock solid again. So if anyone has the same issue that's an easy fix.

I had a total system freeze when starting vlc after upgrading to the new video drivers. Fortunately, smplayer was still working fine, so there was no immediate need to fix this. After I discovered that the Flash player also caused a system freeze I decided to uninstall Mesa-VDPAU. Now, after uninstalling the Mesa-VDPAU-drivers, vlc and Flash are working fine again. Thanks for this information.
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll