> SL 7.1 and yum-autoupdate, what has changed with SL 7
squeen
 Posted: Nov 9 2015, 02:26 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2956

Hello,

I am learning SL 7(.1) and noticed the yum-autoupdate package from SL 6.x is gone. I see a yum-cron package is installed, but it does not seem to be enabled by default any more.

I would appreciate any insight as to the preferred method to recapture the functionality of yum-autoupdate on SL 7.x.

Thanks in advance.
PM
^
squeen
 Posted: Nov 9 2015, 04:58 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 2956

I did some more research and found on this page the following info:

SL Provides Automatic Updates

The default Scientific Linux 7 installation provides automatic updates via the yum-cron package.
Note
Updates from all enabled repos are provided automatically each night and a summary email is set to the root account.
You are strongly encouraged to set a delivery address for root on your system.
This can be easily done as an email alias via /etc/aliases

When setting defaults for updates, there are a few choices: do not apply, notify the user, apply and notify the admin, and apply but do not notify.

For Scientific Linux we’ve chosen apply and notify the admin.

The Scientific Linux user base spans from professional systems admins to graduate students with little training in systems administration. So, we’ve elected to reduce the security risks for a novice by applying security updates automatically. Expirenced Systems Administrators are fully capable of disabling automatic updates and applying the changes during a scheduled downtime. By applying updates by default we believe that the systems are left in a 'default less hackable' state. This helps protect less experienced users as well as the wider internet from the possible side effects of unpatched systems.
Important
This is a change from the upstream defaults.

People who are willing to apply security updates automatically can leave it.

People who disagree with this can change it a number of ways.

For example, there are packages to perform this listed under Packages Added to SL not in Upstream

And people who don’t know what to do are left protected.

There is a Fedora page on automatic updates that is worth reviewing: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AutoUpdates

I then looked in the root accounts mail and found they updates failed with the error:

Updates failed to install with the following error message:
Didn't install any keys

So I manually ran yum update, and answered 'y' to the prompt regarding the keys. Hopefully now autoupdate (a.k.a. yum-cron) will be working.
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Nov 10 2015, 06:16 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

hi,
tx for sharing this. Wasn't aware of this ... still run all my servers at sl/rhel 6.x and sl 7x is still at testing stage ... still too much development happening there for my taste ..

cheers :-)

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
inittux
 Posted: Nov 10 2015, 08:04 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

Never noticed it cuz I always install, set yum plugins, then update system, and accept the keys while updating. Nice to know though, thanks for sharing! smile.gif

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll