Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> GRUB not showing Windows 10 after installing SciLinux, see title
etaoin
 Posted: Oct 9 2015, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3547

I'm not completely new to linux, I've used it for about a year now and have successfully installed 6-7 different distros, though I mostly stuck with linux mint 14. After win10 was released I just had to try it, so for anyone wondering why I'm using win10 as my main os, there you go.

backstory:

I downloaded the live cd of scientific linux 7.1 KDE and made a bootable usb, it booted into it without any problems, but after I clicked install, nothing happened. it didn't open an installer and it just didn't work. I tried rebooting, formatting and making the bootable usb again, every time with the same results.

After a while I gave up KDE and decided I'd go for the standard GNOME flavour, which, thankfully, installed fine. or so I thought...

the problem:

after booting the system up on the next day I noticed grub only had the options to run sciLinux or to run it with the debugger, however windows 10 was nowhere to be found.

some more details:

it's a dual boot, I made sure I installed linux on a separate partition, albeit a small one. I've tried a couple of things, but most were centered around ubuntu and I either didn't have the same setup or I just couldn't get yum to do the things apt-get does.

help? smile.gif
PM
^
etaoin
 Posted: Oct 10 2015, 09:49 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3547

after a fair bit of tinkering and googling I've come to the conclusion that win10 is installed in EFI mode (and possibly has its bootloader broken) while SL is in legacy bios. My mbo supports both so it was hard to get to that conclusion, but it's most likely the case.
PM
^
+X^N
 Posted: Oct 11 2015, 12:56 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 2581

I have not installed Wind 10 & S.L. , however , the GRUB 2 (used in SL 7) requires a some commands to show Windows in the boot menu.
See some posts by me and others here.
IfIRecallCorrectly , you must set up a GRUB configuratioin file (Windows menu entry) , then issue a GRUB command. {gurus correct if wrong}

--------------------
DELL Precision 470 Workstation Xeon 3.2GHz (x2) , 2GB ECC ram ;
DELL UltraSharp 2007WFPb (L) ips monitor
Dual boot :1st installed: WinXPPro & then SL6.4 x86_64 - via 2 'everything' DVD s { GRUB going into the SL6.4 partition } ;
Updated to 6.5 via DVD s

& Steelcase vintage / old-school stenographers seat (made in Grand Rapids , MI , USA)
PMUsers Website
^
VladimirK
 Posted: Oct 12 2015, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3544

Win and Linux together - it is not perfect idea. Better install SL and use VM or VBOX for Windows. When You install SL You must be sure that SL grub installed to dev/sda but You disk parted by Win. You can try Install Sl and then install Win. I not sure that win and Linux will work correctly together long time.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
^
pradeepkrlko
 Posted: Aug 16 2016, 07:30 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3743

You need to add Windows entry in the GRUB2, follow the below instructions. This has been tested on my SL 7.2 system:

vi /etc/grub.d/40_custom
#add the below lines

menuentry "Windows 7" {
set root='(hd0,1)'
chainloader +1
}

#grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
#reboot

PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll