> System Image / Save Packages
insomnia
 Posted: May 26 2016, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3688

Hi,

I am using Scientific Linux 5.x and i have install the realtime kernel that is provided from MRG packages.

I want to be sure that if, for example, my hdd crashes i would be able to set it up my system again (download and install the same packages, etc).

Since Scientific Linux 5.x is not going to be supported after April 2017, would i be able to download and install packages using
CODE
yum install
?

Is there a way that i can find and save the packages, so that i will be able to install them when needed, or a way to make an image of my system?

(I am not sure if this forum is the appropriate for this question. If it isn't please move the topic to the right one.)

Thank you in advance!
PMEmail Poster
^
helikaon
 Posted: Jun 6 2016, 12:40 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (insomnia @ May 26 2016, 10:31 AM)
Hi,

I am using Scientific Linux 5.x and i have install the realtime kernel that is provided from MRG packages.

I want to be sure that if, for example, my hdd crashes i would be able to set it up my system again (download and install the same packages, etc).

Since Scientific Linux 5.x is not going to be supported after April 2017, would i be able to download and install packages using
CODE
yum install
?

Is there a way that i can find and save the packages, so that i will be able to install them when needed, or a way to make an image of my system?

(I am not sure if this forum is the appropriate for this question. If it isn't please move the topic to the right one.)

Thank you in advance!

Hi,
this is a thing i'm not sure about. Please ask directly at SL mailing list, where you can directly reach SL developers.

Devs are not regularly present here on forum - forum is more aimed on the 'user 2 user' help smile.gif

cheers

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll