Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Dell T310: 2.6.32-358.6.1.el6.x86_64 hangs on boot
sbergman
 Posted: Apr 27 2013, 07:27 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1225

I have 2 Dell T310 servers which boot just fine on 358.2.1. However, since the 358.6.1 update, immediately after the grub screen, I get a flashing cursor for a little over 7 minutes before the first output from the kernel. (This is with rhgb & quiet removed from the boot parameter string.)

Neither dmesg nor /var/log/messages reveal anything interesting. And I haven't been able to Google or Bugzilla up anyone else who is experiencing the problem. Though it happens on both of my T310 SL6.4 servers. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks for any ideas,
Steve Bergman
PM
^
toracat
 Posted: Apr 28 2013, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 11

Assuming the system is set to run GUI, I suspect your graphics device is not compatible with the new version of X in 6.4. If this is the case, try changing to runlevel 3. Also inspect the /var/log/ Xorg.0.log file for hint.

--------------------
ELRepo: repository specializing in hardware support for EL
PMUsers Website
^
sbergman
 Posted: Apr 29 2013, 02:21 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (toracat @ Apr 28 2013, 09:00 AM)
Assuming the system is set to run GUI, I suspect your graphics device is not compatible with the new version of X in 6.4. If this is the case, try changing to runlevel 3. Also inspect the /var/log/ Xorg.0.log file for hint.

Thank you for the response. But I specifically disabled both "rhgb" (Red hat Graphical Boot) and "quiet", which makes the boot process completely textual (and on a console, not a framebuffer) and quite verbose. As soon as the kernel starts to boot, I should be seeing things fly by far faster than I can read. But all I get after the grub countdown is the flashing underline cursor at the top left of the screen, for between 7 & 8 minutes. rhgb uses the framebuffer rather than Xorg. But the system is already set to boot to runlevel 3.

The first message which does finally appear is:

"Probing EDD... (off to disable)"

which flies by normally. I've filed a bug with Red Hat's Bugzilla. That early in the boot process, there can't be many possible places that the hang could occur. Something very low-level to do with the processor or MB, I'd think. And something that changed between 358.2.1 and 358.6.1.

-Steve
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Apr 29 2013, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (sbergman @ Apr 29 2013, 04:21 AM)
I've filed a bug with Red Hat's Bugzilla.

Make sure you file the bug against Red Hat Enterprise Linux wink.gif
Do not mention SL or one of the clones as they will not follow up.

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
toracat
 Posted: Apr 29 2013, 03:54 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (sbergman @ Apr 28 2013, 06:21 PM)

The first message which does finally appear is:

"Probing EDD... (off to disable)"

This is indeed a good piece of information. This may be related to a known issue (but with different hardware) as seen in this RH KB article. So, hopefully they can fix the problem.

--------------------
ELRepo: repository specializing in hardware support for EL
PMUsers Website
^
sbergman
 Posted: Apr 29 2013, 05:12 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (redman @ Apr 29 2013, 04:39 AM)
Do not mention SL or one of the clones as they will not follow up.

Hi,

Thanks. But considering how far beyond the letter of the GPL that RH goes to make distros like SL & Centos possible, insisting only that their trademarks be respected, I wouldn't feel right lying to them about what I'm running. I mentioned in the report that it was SL 6.4, and that I was reporting it upstream as a courtesy. This *could* conceivably be an SL issue, though that seems unlikely.

Pat Reihecky has asked to be added to the Bugzilla report's CC list. And RH has been quite responsive. The bug got assigned to Prarit Bhargava early this morning, and he's already informed me that he has a T310 for testing (and which is booting 358.6.1 just fine) and is asking for more information.

Thanks again,
Steve
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Apr 30 2013, 08:59 AM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (sbergman @ Apr 29 2013, 07:12 PM)
And RH has been quite responsive.

Well, things have been different in the past.
It all depends on how *important* the bug is.
When it is related to desktop or multimedia things, they tend to ... linger.

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
Tuxxin
 Posted: May 3 2013, 02:09 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 2463

I have the exact same problem (excluding probing edd), but on Dell C6100 hardware.

2.6.32-358.6.1.el6.x86_64 locks up with a slow blinking cursor and then start to get this repeating error http://db.tt/5YVBV6D5. Shortly after that the screen goes blank and the server is completely unresponsive (power cycle needed).

2.6.32-279.el6.x86_64 boots without a problem.
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll