Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Application Installer in SL 7
SylvanusTrinidad
 Posted: May 30 2016, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3703

I've just installed SL 7, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do things.

In particular, I can't find much information on what Application Installer is.

I understand that the standard way of installing packages is yum, which is pretty much equivalent to apt in the Debian-type distributions. So what is Application Installer? Is it a GUI for yum? An alternative to yum? Something completely different? Is it equivalent to Synaptic? Is it the same as Add/Remove software, which I've seen referenced in tutorials for earlier versions of SL (here, for example: http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?&act=ST&f=6&t=1603)?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I just can't find any documentation or explanation for it.

Thanks!

PM
^
inittux
 Posted: May 30 2016, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

QUOTE (SylvanusTrinidad @ May 30 2016, 07:52 PM)
I've just installed SL 7, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to do things.

In particular, I can't find much information on what Application Installer is.

I understand that the standard way of installing packages is yum, which is pretty much equivalent to apt in the Debian-type distributions.  So what is Application Installer?  Is it a GUI for yum?  An alternative to yum?  Something completely different?  Is it equivalent to Synaptic?  Is it the same as Add/Remove software, which I've seen referenced in tutorials for earlier versions of SL (here, for example: http://scientificlinuxforum.org/index.php?&act=ST&f=6&t=1603)?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I just can't find any documentation or explanation for it.

Thanks!

You can install "yumex" if you want a graphical interface for installing packages. Some basic commands for yum are: install remove search

CODE

yum install packagename
yum search keyword
yum remove packagename

I don't want to go RTFM on you, but the manual does have alot of useful information wink.gif

Scientific Linux is a RHEL clone so you can basically use all the redhat documenation if you are looking for a source for information.

--------------------
PM
^
SylvanusTrinidad
 Posted: Jun 4 2016, 07:58 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (inittux @ May 30 2016, 08:09 PM)

You can install "yumex" if you want a graphical interface for installing packages. Some basic commands for yum are: install remove search

CODE

yum install packagename
yum search keyword
yum remove packagename

I don't want to go RTFM on you, but the  manual does have alot of useful information wink.gif

Scientific Linux is a RHEL clone so you can basically use all the redhat documenation if you  are looking for a source for information.

I think I'm okay with yum since I've used apt-get and it seems similar. Thanks for the link to the RHEL manual, though, that'll be a huge help.

My question is more about Application Installer. If yum is everything (and it seems to be), the what is Application Installer? I searched TFM you linked, but I couldn't find it. Internet searches for "Scientific Linux Application Installer" and "RHEL Application Installer" turned up nothing except this thread.

So what is it? The fact that it's taking up space on my left taskbar makes it seem important, so what do I do with it? Does it have any relation to yum? I guess most importantly, if I try to use it, will it interfere with package management through yum?

Thanks!
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Jun 4 2016, 08:13 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

Not sure what I get what you are saying. What are you seeing on your taskbar, an application installer? Can you take a screen shot it doesn't sound familiar and don't have anything that sounds like it in my DE.

--------------------
PM
^
SylvanusTrinidad
 Posted: Jun 5 2016, 06:34 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (inittux @ Jun 4 2016, 08:13 PM)
Not sure what I get what you are saying. What are you seeing on your taskbar, an application installer? Can you take a screen shot it doesn't sound familiar and don't have anything that sounds like it in my DE.

Yes, this is a program called "Application Installer." When I press the Super key, there's a menu on the left with (top to bottom) Firefox, Files, Application Installer, Help, Terminal, and Show Applications. The Search bar is at the center top and on the right there's a menu showing my desktops.

The Application Installer program itself seems to allow me to download, install, and update programs like GIMP, Inkscape, etc., just like a package manager.

I have screenshots, but I can't figure out how to post them. Searching the forum for help on this doesn't yield anything.

On its "About" page, a message says "A nice way to manage the software on your system" with credits to Richard Hughes, Matthias Clasen, Allan Day, Ryan Lerch, and William Jon McCann.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll