> software installation questions, zero staring point
salieri
 Posted: Oct 27 2015, 05:52 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3557

Hi,

I recently got tired with fixing multiple problems of my previous os and decided to switch to SL.
I am used to command line at the very beginner level and my knowledge of linux is quite superficial.

Now I am in need to install my primary working stuff like wine (for chemcraft, origin, etc), avogadro, gabedit, grace, gnuplot, gnumeric, etc and some communicating stuff like grsync, dropbox and skype.

Unfortunately I have hundred of urgent deals and can not spend even 2 days just on it.
So I would be Extremely thankful if someone could help me to safe some time and affords.

What i've learned from here:

1. there is no software manager with graphical interface (with good search engines), so everything can be only installed via yum using command line, it is right?

2. all my primary needed software is absent in default repositories (I failed to install them via yum), so I have to add extra ones, but there rises a question on their safety;
- am I right that adding 3-party repositories I can create system conflicts?
- could you please explain what are the dangers of adding them? what repositories are safe to use?

3. any other comments and suggestion will be also highly appreciated.

Thanx!
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Oct 28 2015, 11:53 AM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

By using the terminal, you can always install additional packages (if available from the repos you enabled). Yum is your friend.

You are right that not all software is available through the default repos.
I would strongly advise to have a look at this thread.
It will mention several additional repos including the dangers that lurk in the dark wink.gif

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Oct 28 2015, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

If you are going to use 3rd party repos it might be smart to looking into:

protectbase
priorities

--------------------
PM
^
toracat
 Posted: Oct 28 2015, 05:09 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 11

I suggest you start with installing the EPEL repository.

yum install epel-release

It has a good number of packages you listed. For those that are not in EPEL (or any other repos), you may want to look into Fedora. If they are available in Fedora, the best way to use them will be to rebuild them in SL. If you need assistance in doing so, try posting in this forum. Some of us may be able to help you.

--------------------
ELRepo: repository specializing in hardware support for EL
PMUsers Website
^
salieri
 Posted: Oct 29 2015, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3557

Hi all,

Thank everybody for the suggestions, I went through all links, managed to install some soft, but it took too much time, and I still cannot make wine and win applications work.
I decided that SL is for highly-experienced guys, I need sth more intermediate without struggling with silly difficulties at every step.

After installation of primary light soft I need to install quantum chemical packages, and now it seems like a nightmare for me. I like challenges but I have tons of work and deadlines, and currently bad knowledge of linux sad.gif

That is why I decided to try Fedora, Suse or sth similar. The problem is that I cannot boot from DVD or USB any more. Boot priorities are ok, disks are burned properly, but I cannot find the way for installing os from a DVD or USB. Computer: elitebook 8740w, bios is default, i never touched it.

Could anybody, please, advise me where to search for a reasons and solutions of it?

Thanx in advance.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll