> R / X11 window hanging when trying to plot figures
cwduffy
 Posted: Oct 14 2015, 03:18 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3550

Hi all,

Looking for some help with under the hood issues. I recently updated a machine to SL6.7 from 6.5 but following that I've run into an issue when trying to plot things in R.

A simple plot command (for example plot(1:5) ) will open an X11 window as normal which then fails to render properly. The contents of the window are whatever was directly below it on screen when it opened and this never changes when you move the window. Meanwhile R itself becomes unresponsive, almost as if it is stuck trying to render the window.

Plotting directly to an image file works fine, calling an x11 window with x11() causes the same issue.

I'm running R version 3.2.2, from what I can tell everything else with it works fine so I'm wondering if it's some sort of issue with calling X11. Problem is I've no idea how to find out what's wrong or even where to start looking. Any suggestions / ideas would be really useful, I'd really like to resolve it if I can.
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Oct 15 2015, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (cwduffy @ Oct 14 2015, 03:18 PM)
Hi all,

Looking for some help with under the hood issues. I recently updated a machine to SL6.7 from 6.5 but following that I've run into an issue when trying to plot things in R.

A simple plot command (for example plot(1:5) ) will open an X11 window as normal which then fails to render properly. The contents of the window are whatever was directly below it on screen when it opened and this never changes when you move the window. Meanwhile R itself becomes unresponsive, almost as if it is stuck trying to render the window.

Plotting directly to an image file works fine, calling an x11 window with x11() causes the same issue.

I'm running R version 3.2.2, from what I can tell everything else with it works fine so I'm wondering if it's some sort of issue with calling X11. Problem is I've no idea how to find out what's wrong or even where to start looking. Any suggestions / ideas would be really useful, I'd really like to resolve it if I can.

Hi,
i'm not familiar with the plotutils and its requirements.
Generally speaking, i'd try to downgrade xorg to lower version (yum downgrade) and see what happens then.

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
cwduffy
 Posted: Oct 15 2015, 02:57 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 3550

Thanks, turns out downgrading Xorg was exactly what I needed and the addition of that in my searches led me to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32303109/r-dev-new-freezes so it looks like it's a known problem.
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Oct 19 2015, 08:38 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (cwduffy @ Oct 15 2015, 02:57 PM)
Thanks, turns out downgrading Xorg was exactly what I needed and the addition of that in my searches led me to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32303109/r-dev-new-freezes so it looks like it's a known problem.

Thanks for letting community know of the solution! smile.gif

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
toracat
 Posted: Oct 20 2015, 06:46 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (cwduffy @ Oct 15 2015, 06:57 AM)

Just wanted to add some note about this issue. As quoted in the referenced page, more details are found in R's bug report. It is a bug in the X11 module of R and patches are now being offered. I suggest you monitor the bug report and update R when the patched version is released (and re-update xorg if you have downgraded it).

--------------------
ELRepo: repository specializing in hardware support for EL
PMUsers Website
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll