> SL7 install with liveCD
Faizman
 Posted: Nov 27 2015, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3570

Hello
I installed scientific linux 7 on my machine using the liveCD-- SL-71-x86_64-2015-04-08-LiveCD.iso
Now, the installation went smoothly. But I cannot access internet. My machine is dual boot. So, I can access the internet from the windows OS.
So, what shall i do next? Is it because I have to install more things since the liveCD one is pretty basic?
thank you
PMEmail Poster
^
redman
 Posted: Nov 27 2015, 11:51 AM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

Please provide more details about your system.
Is it connected through wifi or wired lan?
From the terminal, using "lspci" is also useful wink.gif

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
Faizman
 Posted: Nov 27 2015, 12:40 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

QUOTE (redman @ Nov 27 2015, 04:51 PM)
Please provide more details about your system.
Is it connected through wifi or wired lan?
From the terminal, using "lspci" is also useful  wink.gif

Its connected through wired lan. I have another system and I downloaded the livecd there, burnt it and then installed it in this new system. I was actually planning to use the complete DVD, the one which is ~ 6GB. So, I downloaded the complete one and then made a live usb from it using the fedora live usb application. But when I was trying to install using the live usb, the system wont install. I forgot the exact problem. So, I thought to try with the liveCD. that worked. BUt now, I dont know what to do next. And internet is not working on this SL installed via live cd. Firefox says I am in offline mode. please let me know what to do next.
thank you
PMEmail Poster
^
inittux
 Posted: Nov 27 2015, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

Like redman asked, can you give us the output of the lspci command in the terminal? Right click on desktop, then open terminal, or via the applications menu, then under system tools then terminal. Then type: lspci and press enter en paste te output here. That way we can see if your system recognizes your network card. Here's what my network card looks like in the output. wink.gif

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

--------------------
PM
^
Faizman
 Posted: Nov 28 2015, 01:56 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

QUOTE (inittux @ Nov 28 2015, 12:42 AM)
Like redman asked, can you give us the output of the lspci command in the terminal? Right click on desktop, then open terminal, or via the applications menu, then under system tools then terminal. Then type: lspci and press enter en paste te output here. That way we can see if your system recognizes your network card. Here's  what my network card looks like in the output.  wink.gif

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

Thank you for the reply. lspci gave lot of output. The ethernet one was-
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: INtel Corporation Ethernet connection (2) I218-V

So, now do I have to go to this website-
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/71305/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I218-V
to download?
Once there, I think I have to go for this- "Network Adapter Driver for PCI-E Gigabit Network Connections under Linux*"
Is that correct? please let me know
thank you
PMEmail Poster
^
Faizman
 Posted: Nov 28 2015, 02:39 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

sorry for the trouble. I just found out that if I click on the ethernet icon on the top right corner of the screen and then click 'ON' tab next to it will switch on the internet.
thank you
PMEmail Poster
^
inittux
 Posted: Nov 29 2015, 08:02 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

QUOTE (Faizman @ Nov 28 2015, 04:39 PM)
sorry for the trouble. I just found out that if I click on the ethernet icon on the top right corner of the screen and then click 'ON' tab next to it will switch on the internet.
thank you

There's should also be a setting via de gui to make it connect when you turn the machine on. Or via the terminal:

1: nmcli connection modify enp3s0 connection.autoconnect yes
2: nmcli connection reload

--------------------
PM
^
Faizman
 Posted: Nov 30 2015, 08:32 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

thank you. I wil give it a try.
PMEmail Poster
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll