Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> sshfs is included?, Trying to get sshfs working...
etm
 Posted: Sep 6 2012, 07:08 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Group: Members
Member No.: 930

Hi,

I just got a brand-new zareason laptop this week. I went ahead and selected SL6 as the OS, but I am new to it & having some newbie problems (I am coming from Ubuntu).

I am not totally sure how they did the install, but they already had EL Repo enabled, so I guess I'm stuck with that since I went wild installing libraries, etc. that I needed for my scientific analysis tools.

Now, I am trying to get sshfs working. I have seen that a fuse-sshfs package is "included but not installed"... but when I do a yum search I get nothing for sshfs. Am I doing something stupid here?
PM
^
etm
 Posted: Sep 6 2012, 07:13 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Ok, according to this page:

https://www.scientificlinux.org/news/livecd-60

the package is mentioned as coming from a livecd repo?

I have done some searching on adding repos, and I am a bit confused about how to do this in a safe way. For instance, I downloaded the EPEL .rpm, but I am afraid to run it as I'm not entirely sure what it does.

If I install it, can I just quickly go to the file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ and disable it?

Sorry for the dense questions... smile.gif
PM
^
etm
 Posted: Sep 6 2012, 07:31 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

I swear that I was looking for a long time before I posted, but of course I figured it out as soon as I posted this.

I hate leaving things unanswered, so here is where I found both the fuse-sshfs that I was looking for and the rpm that installs the livecd-extras repo:

http://www.livecd.ethz.ch/download/sl-livecd-extra/6.2/x86_64/

I am still wondering about using the EPEL .rpm, though. Is that safe as long as I disable it right away?
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Sep 6 2012, 07:34 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Hello etm,

If I install it, can I just quickly go to the file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ and disable it?

Sure you can. Just change "enabled=1" to "enabled=0" in /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo . Then when you need a package from that repo you can use a command similar to:

CODE
su -c 'yum install fuse-sshfs --enablerepo=epel'

Hope this helps
PM
^
etm
 Posted: Sep 6 2012, 11:02 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Yes, thank you!
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll