Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> I would appreciate your views on if kvm would suit me
spottyrover
 Posted: Aug 31 2014, 06:44 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

I have been using virtualbox for about 5 years now and have had some problems with the newer versions and have decided to look at kvm.
I would appreciate your views on if kvm would suit me.

My primary need is a tv recorder( tvheadend) /xbmc and a webserver ( low trafic )
after that I use multiple VM's to separate users web browsers, video editing so that upgrades do not cause problems with working environments.

What I am interested in is using KVM's pci pass through to set up a recorder virtual box
and either playing back through the host or better still in a VM.

I have also found info on using video pass through which would be nice. If I could get that working can it be passed through to multi VM's?

My ideal system would be to set everything as a VM and once happy with it Don't touch it, disable the networking and only update the VM's wiyh web access and the Host.

Which would be better waiting for SL7 or using SL6.5?

My system is an
AMD 6300
asus m5a97
16 gig ram
video is nvidia 610 (possible problem) any replacement suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

P.S. KVM looks good but it's seems hard to find up to date info and any decicated forums to ask questions.
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Sep 3 2014, 10:01 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (spottyrover @ Aug 31 2014, 06:44 AM)
I have been using virtualbox for about 5 years now and have had some problems with the newer versions and have decided to look at kvm.
I would appreciate your views on if kvm would suit me.

My primary need is a tv recorder( tvheadend) /xbmc and a webserver ( low trafic )
after that I use multiple VM's to separate users web browsers, video editing so that upgrades do not cause problems with working environments.

What I am interested in is using KVM's pci pass through to set up a recorder virtual box
and either playing back through the host or better still in a VM.

I have also found info on using video pass through which would be nice. If I could get that working can it be passed through to multi VM's?

My ideal system would be to set everything as a VM and once happy with it Don't touch it, disable the networking and only update the VM's wiyh web access and the Host.

Which would be better waiting for SL7 or using SL6.5?

My system is an
AMD 6300
asus m5a97
16 gig ram
video is nvidia 610 (possible problem) any replacement suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

P.S.  KVM looks good but it's seems hard to find up to date info and any decicated forums to ask questions.

Hi Dave,
i'm quite sure, if i understood properly to your description ... so you plan on having TV-recorder attached to host machine and then share this Hardware to your KVM guests?
Or you just want to play some content from host to guest?

I see one possible problem - quality of video, because the virtual VGA available on KVM guests are very poor in regards of Video computing.

I dont have much epxerience with video streaming and editing, so i can't be of much help with this i'm afraid.

Anyway, as i'm very curious person, i'm looking forward to any results you might share with us - thx :]

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
spottyrover
 Posted: Sep 9 2014, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

I wrote the above late one night.
What I would like to achieve is to have a number of vm's which share folders easily and isolate each ones function so updates stop making a mess. (not speaking of SL).
What I was hoping is that since redhat use kvm SL would be a good platform for this type isolation.
However reading other post this doesn't seem to be the case. So I am looking at archlinux via manjaro at the moment.

System will be
VM for webserver ( light load )
VM for reading emails ( found it easier when upgrading to use vm's )
2x VM for web browsing ( easier for multiple users )
VM for recording using folder sharing
VM for watching video hopefully (needs video passthrough ( separate video card )

The first 3 are easy, from what I gather the last 2 should be achievable with patching kernel etc. but I do not think I would like to do it often.

So now I guess the question is how often should I update the kernel and how would I know when it is needed?

Thanks

Dave
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll