Scientific Linux Forum.org

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Infinality fonts
Amirul
 Posted: May 29 2013, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1146

PM
^
redman
 Posted: May 30 2013, 10:32 AM
Quote Post

Retired SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Amirul @ May 29 2013, 01:38 PM)
After running infinality-ctl setstyle to select osx, now my desktop looks like my fuduntu one.

A screenshot would be nice wink.gif

--------------------
"Sometimes the best helping hand you can give is a good, firm push."
PM
^
joka
 Posted: May 30 2013, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 107

QUOTE (Amirul @ May 29 2013, 12:38 PM)
Now that Fuduntu is no more

Interesting news. I wasn't aware of this. Perhaps they should have better chosen SL or CentOS 6 as a base of their remix instead of Fedora 14.

QUOTE (Amirul @ May 29 2013, 12:38 PM)

http://srv2.ftp.ne.jp/Linux/distributions/fuduntu/yum/2013/STABLE/RPMS/cairo-1.10.2-3.fu2012.x86_64.rpm
http://srv2.ftp.ne.jp/Linux/distributions/fuduntu/yum/2013/STABLE/RPMS/fontconfig-infinality-1-20120615_1.noarch.rpm
http://srv2.ftp.ne.jp/Linux/distributions/fuduntu/yum/2013/STABLE/RPMS/freetype-2.4.10-1.fu2012.x86_64.rpm
http://srv2.ftp.ne.jp/Linux/distributions/fuduntu/yum/2013/STABLE/RPMS/freetype-infinality-2.4.10-2.fu2012.x86_64.rpm
http://srv2.ftp.ne.jp/Linux/distributions/fuduntu/yum/2013/STABLE/RPMS/libXft-infinality-2.2.0-2.fu2012.x86_64.rpm

After running infinality-ctl setstyle to select osx, now my desktop looks like my fuduntu one.

There was a discussion about freetype-freeworld and infinality (font) packages 2 years ago. But the Lemonzest repo doesn't seem to exist anymore.

@tux99: are you interestested or do you plan to add these packages to your repo, if this is possible?
cairo-1.10.2 would override an important base package (cairo-1.8.8). So this would be (at least for me) an option only if the other packages can be built against cairo-1.8.8.
PM
^
Amirul
 Posted: May 30 2013, 11:01 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

QUOTE (redman @ May 30 2013, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (Amirul @ May 29 2013, 01:38 PM)

A screenshot would be nice wink.gif

Sorry, just figured out how to do that.
user posted image
PM
^
tux99
 Posted: May 30 2013, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 224

QUOTE (joka @ May 30 2013, 11:48 AM)

@tux99: are you interestested or do you plan to add these packages to your repo, if this is possible?

The screenshot looks very nice, but these packages aren't really the focus of my repo (audio/video/multimedia) and I don't have much time currently for packaging, so if you want to add them to your repo then go ahead with it.

QUOTE (joka @ May 30 2013, 11:48 AM)
cairo-1.10.2 would override an import base package (cairo-1.8.8). So this would be (at least for me) an option only if the other packages can be built against cairo-1.8.8.

I would put it in 'backports', but you are right you would still need to check if it causes incompatibilities, or else like you say build the other packages against cairo-1.8.8 (that's probably better if it works).

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
joka
 Posted: May 30 2013, 01:20 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

I could build the 3 infinality packages* against the base versions of cairo and freetype, but the result is not very convincing for me. But this may be a matter of taste and the graphic card.

Screenshot of SL6 in a VirtualBox with GNOME Desktop and infinality font packages installed:
user posted image

In addition to the font packages, I suppose other packages, especially a GNOME theme package, are necessary to get a desktop like the one in Amirul's screenshot.

Anyway, I will not use the infinality packages myself. The quality of the packages (i.e. the .spec files) is also not the best I.M.H.O. rpmlint reports a lot of errors and warnings. This would require additional effort to fix them. Therefore it does not make much sense to add the infinality packages to my repo.

*) infinality-fontconfig requires git to build. It retrieves the sources from github at build time!
PM
^
Amirul
 Posted: May 30 2013, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

QUOTE (joka @ May 30 2013, 09:20 PM)
I could build the 3 infinality packages* against the base versions of cairo and freetype, but the result is not very convincing for me. But this may be a matter of taste and the graphic card.

Screenshot of SL6 in a VirtualBox with GNOME Desktop and infinality font packages installed:
user posted image

In addition to the font packages, I suppose other packages, especially a GNOME theme package, are necessary to get a desktop like the one in Amirul's screenshot.

Anyway, I will not use the infinality packages myself. The quality of the packages (i.e. the .spec files) is also not the best I.M.H.O. rpmlint reports a lot of errors and warnings. This would require additional effort to fix them. Therefore it does not make much sense to add the infinality packages to my repo.

*)  infinality-fontconfig requires git to build. It retrieves the sources from github at build time!

Yes, I did find the font quality similar to yours until I updated cairo. By your account, it seems too much trouble to include the packages in a repo, so I'll just keep using the fuduntu ones until a future update breaks them. Thanks for the feedback anyway.
PM
^
fewt
 Posted: May 30 2013, 03:24 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 2527

I've been toying with migrating some of our features to SL or CentOS but it's somewhat challenging since Fuduntu is pretty far ahead in terms of package versions. I see you've found one of the roadblocks, Cairo. There are a few others also, just before I left on vacation last week I was working on Nautilus Elementary.

We forked at 14, but we moved very far ahead of it and very far sideways from Fedora. We were on par with or newer than Fedora 18 in terms of many package versions so it makes going back to an FC 12/13 base somewhat challenging.

Since I'm probably landing on SL or CentOS for my computers at work it was worth the time investment to migrate these things, I may stand up a repo at SF for them when I'm done. I don't have any sort of timeline on the work since I'm just working on it whenever I feel like it. smile.gif

I have our theme, our logos, our icons, infinality, and a few more things finished already (those were easy).
PM
^
joka
 Posted: May 30 2013, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

On my VirtualBox I don't see a big - if any - difference between Cairo 1.8 and Cairo 1.10 (RPM from Fuduntu). Here's a better screenshot after some tuning of the font settings:

user posted image

My conclusion: the infinality packages could be provided by a SL/CentOS 6 compatibile repository without the need to overwrite system packages. Cairo-1.10 could be provided by some backport repo as an additional option.

However, as there are plans to publish a repository of Fuduntu packages ported to SL/CentOS6 anyway, the Infinality packages are out of my scope.

PM
^
redman
 Posted: May 30 2013, 09:04 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (fewt @ May 30 2013, 05:24 PM)
I've been toying with migrating some of our features to SL or CentOS but it's somewhat challenging since Fuduntu is pretty far ahead in terms of package versions.

First of all, welcome to our forum Andrew wink.gif

Secondly, if you could make sure some of the old stuff will be available (for some time at least), I'm sure others will be grateful. Porting/migrating things to SL is always nice of course. Any good addition only increases the value of this great but underrated distro cool.gif

--------------------
PM
^
fewt
 Posted: May 30 2013, 10:02 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (redman @ May 30 2013, 03:04 PM)
QUOTE (fewt @ May 30 2013, 05:24 PM)
I've been toying with migrating some of our features to SL or CentOS but it's somewhat challenging since Fuduntu is pretty far ahead in terms of package versions.

First of all, welcome to our forum Andrew wink.gif

Secondly, if you could make sure some of the old stuff will be available (for some time at least), I'm sure others will be grateful. Porting/migrating things to SL is always nice of course. Any good addition only increases the value of this great but underrated distro cool.gif

Hey there redman. Unfortunately there isn't any easy way to make Fuduntu's binaries available anymore as all of the hosting accounts have been turned down since traffic had largely died off. The sources are all at SourceForge where they will be hosted as long as SourceForge keeps them active.

The mirrors are probably all still populated, unless they have started clearing space. We were using about 70GB of storage on each of them.

This stuff I'm toying with now would be hosted there too once it's worthy of uploading, dunno when that would be though.
PM
^
redman
 Posted: May 31 2013, 10:43 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (fewt @ May 31 2013, 12:02 AM)
This stuff I'm toying with now would be hosted there too once it's worthy of uploading, dunno when that would be though.

Well, if you have any good additional stuff for SL we're always happy to hear about it.
There is always room here for an expert like you wink.gif

--------------------
PM
^
Amirul
 Posted: May 31 2013, 12:31 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

QUOTE (redman @ May 31 2013, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (fewt @ May 31 2013, 12:02 AM)

Well, if you have any good additional stuff for SL we're always happy to hear about it.
There is always room here for an expert like you wink.gif

I would give that a 2 thumbs-up. Fuduntu was the best-looking, stable distro that I've run since Redhat 8 biggrin.gif
...oh, apart from SL6 that is tongue.gif
PM
^
fewt
 Posted: Jul 11 2013, 02:45 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

FYI - I gave up on working to transplant Fuduntu's look and feel to CentOS or Scientific Linux. The level of effort was simply too great.
PM
^
Amirul
 Posted: Jul 13 2013, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

QUOTE (fewt @ Jul 11 2013, 10:45 PM)
FYI - I gave up on working to transplant Fuduntu's look and feel to CentOS or Scientific Linux.  The level of effort was simply too great.

Bummer. Guess my mods will have to do for now. Thanks for trying though.
PM
^
fewt
 Posted: Jul 20 2013, 06:06 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Because I can never accept that it can't be done:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fuduntu-el/

smile.gif

Some of the components provided by Fuduntu-EL:

- Fuduntu Theme, Logos, and Backgrounds
- Faenza Icon Pack
- Freetype Infinality
- Google's Droid Fonts
- Netflix Desktop
- Chromium Browser
- Linux Kernel 3.4.x
- Ktune laptop power tool

Technically unsupported, but it should install and work ok. Couldn't transplant our GNOME etc, but I was able to adapt.
PM
^
fewt
 Posted: Jul 20 2013, 09:41 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Screenshot:

user posted image

I've just finished porting Cairo Dock. smile.gif
PM
^
Amirul
 Posted: Jul 21 2013, 05:35 PM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

QUOTE (fewt @ Jul 21 2013, 02:06 AM)

smile.gif

- Faenza Icon Pack
- Freetype Infinality
- Google's Droid Fonts
- Netflix Desktop
- Chromium Browser
- Linux Kernel 3.4.x

Technically unsupported, but it should install and work ok.  Couldn't transplant our GNOME etc, but I was able to adapt.

Thanks! Updated using bits of it ie freetype-infinality, preload, ktune and faenza-icon-theme. Trying out kernel-3.4.53-1 although so far only 3.0.83-1 from elrepo-kernel is the only one that works on my box.
PM
^
fewt
 Posted: Jul 21 2013, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (Amirul @ Jul 21 2013, 11:35 AM)

smile.gif

- Faenza Icon Pack
- Freetype Infinality
- Google's Droid Fonts
- Netflix Desktop
- Chromium Browser
- Linux Kernel 3.4.x

Technically unsupported, but it should install and work ok.  Couldn't transplant our GNOME etc, but I was able to adapt.

Thanks! Updated using bits of it ie freetype-infinality, preload, ktune and faenza-icon-theme. Trying out kernel-3.4.53-1 although so far only 3.0.83-1 from elrepo-kernel is the only one that works on my box.

Awesome, if you need shutter or clementine they are in the fuduntu-el repo now too.
PM
^
Amirul
 Posted: Jul 22 2013, 03:55 AM
Quote Post

SLF Rookie

QUOTE (fewt @ Jul 22 2013, 01:49 AM)

smile.gif

- Faenza Icon Pack
- Freetype Infinality
- Google's Droid Fonts
- Netflix Desktop
- Chromium Browser
- Linux Kernel 3.4.x

Awesome, if you need shutter or clementine they are in the fuduntu-el repo now too.

Yay, kernel-3.4.53-1 seems to boot up properly and subjectively, feels a bit zippier. It's a keeper.
PM
^
halocaridina
 Posted: Jul 31 2013, 02:57 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1638

QUOTE (Amirul @ Jul 21 2013, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (fewt @ Jul 22 2013, 01:49 AM)

smile.gif

- Faenza Icon Pack
- Freetype Infinality
- Google's Droid Fonts
- Netflix Desktop
- Chromium Browser
- Linux Kernel 3.4.x

Yay, kernel-3.4.53-1 seems to boot up properly and subjectively, feels a bit zippier. It's a keeper.

PM
^
halocaridina
 Posted: Jul 31 2013, 03:35 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 1638

fewt,

Thanks for the repo and packages. Installed preload and ktune and both have been welcomed additions.

Two flags:

1) the included kernel could be renamed so not to override those from SL (especially if yum priorities are not in place when the install script is executed w/o modification).

2) fonts via infinality: I ended up backtracking and repackaging via OBS those from Lemonzest (wasn't achieving the same rendering with Google's Arimo and Cousine fonts on a new install and didn't have the time to comb through the changes and/or configs of the infinality package).

I feel that #2 above is style but #1 could be more important regarding kernel security.

Cheers,

halocaridina
PM
^
fewt
 Posted: Jul 31 2013, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (halocaridina @ Jul 30 2013, 09:35 PM)
fewt,

Thanks for the repo and packages.  Installed preload and ktune and both have been welcomed additions.

Two flags:

1) the included kernel could be renamed so not to override those from SL (especially if yum priorities are not in place when the install script is executed w/o modification).

2) fonts via infinality: I ended up backtracking and repackaging via OBS those from Lemonzest (wasn't achieving the same rendering with Google's Arimo and Cousine fonts on a new install and didn't have the time to comb through the changes and/or configs of the infinality package).

I feel that #2 above is style but #1 could be more important regarding kernel security.

Cheers,

halocaridina

Well, it's intended to overlay existing packages, it isn't really intended to be a supplementary repository. That said, I have kernel 3.4.55 ready to go I just need to sign it and get it uploaded.
PM
^
redman
 Posted: Aug 1 2013, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Good work Andrew (aka fewt), thanks http://th166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/rdshear/Smiley%20Faces/th_smiley-face-thumbs-up.gif

Two questions popped up:
1. Could you please mention Scientific Linux on the project page too wink.gif
2. Do you want me to put your repo on our list of 3rd party repos for EL?

Additional:
Although it is using a single installation script instead of a .repo file, I saw in the script that there actually is a .repo file. But I assume you chose a single installation script for the specific settings?

It is advisable to mention the dependency regarding EPEL and RPMfusion.
Users wanting to use the Fuduntu packages need to carefully read the info here before proceeding.

--------------------
PM
^
fewt
 Posted: Aug 1 2013, 04:43 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

QUOTE (redman @ Aug 1 2013, 10:24 AM)
Good work Andrew (aka fewt), thanks  http://th166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/rdshear/Smiley%20Faces/th_smiley-face-thumbs-up.gif

Two questions popped up:
1. Could you please mention Scientific Linux on the project page too  wink.gif

Done, I'll update the readme asap also.

2. Do you want me to put your repo on our list of 3rd party repos for EL?

If you don't mind, it would need to mention that core packages may be replaced. I may replace additional core packages in order to support some of the other tools I need, like Remmina.

Additional:
Although it is using a single installation script instead of a .repo file, I saw in the script that there actually is a .repo file. But I assume you chose a single installation script for the specific settings?

It is advisable to mention the dependency regarding EPEL and RPMfusion.
Users wanting to use the Fuduntu packages need to carefully read the info here before proceeding.

Probably a good idea, when I have some time I'll do that. The repo isn't intended to really be used by anyone except myself so it's technically unsupported (probably should mention that also).

I will answer questions in IRC though if / when I have time. smile.gif
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll