Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Printers disappear after reboot
Kiril
 Posted: Feb 26 2013, 01:49 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2314

I have two printers set up on my SL 6.3. However, no matter how I configure (as a normal user / as root) the printers, the configuration information disappears after reboot.

My workaround is to always suspend instead of shutdown, but this is not ideal.

I have HPLIP installed (only for the HP driver, no graphic tools) and the printers get configured by whatever is pointed to by Applications>System Tools>Printing in Gnome.

The peculiar thing is that one of the printers stays in a previous configuration (the ip address of which is no longer valid), no changes made are kept. The other printer was added later and disappears completely after reboot.

Any hints at what to look for? Thanks in advance,

Kiril
PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Feb 26 2013, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Kiril @ Feb 26 2013, 01:49 PM)
I have two printers set up on my SL 6.3. However, no matter how I configure (as a normal user / as root) the printers, the configuration information disappears after reboot.

I have HPLIP installed (only for the HP driver, no graphic tools) and the printers get configured by whatever is pointed to by Applications>System Tools>Printing in Gnome.

The peculiar thing is that one of the printers stays in a previous configuration (the ip address of which is no longer valid), no changes made are kept. The other printer was added later and disappears completely after reboot.

Kiril

Hi,
the gui tools may or sometimes may not work, but -

1. look (as root) in the:
vi /etc/cups/printers.conf
this is the printers config file - you should see those printers there, if not, add them

2. to add printer use 'lpadmin' command (as root) hav a look on the manpage - it never hursts ..
e.g. like this:
CODE

lpadmin -p printer-name -E -v socket://ipaddress-of-printer -D "descripriton-of-printer" -L "location-of-printer"

cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
Kiril
 Posted: Feb 26 2013, 08:50 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2314

Thank you Helikaon, you helped me on the way to get it sorted.

Specifically I looked in the /etc/cups/printers.conf (rw-------. 1 root lp on my system), the old setup was there.

Tried adding a printer along the lines of your second suggestion (after consulting the man page) - no change to /etc/cups/printers.conf.

Killed and restarted cupsd and added the printer again - the printer got added to /etc/cups/printers.conf, however with a generic driver, when verified by the graphic tool

Used the graphical tool to select the specific driver and settings (a4 paper instead of Legal, draft mode etc.) and - oh joy - the configuration persisted after a reboot.

Tried to make the printer a default printer with the graphical tools - no persistency. Tried

lpadmin -d Laser_Jet_2100

as root - no change to /etc/cups/printers.conf.

Did not bother killing / restarting cupsd, but googled the definition of printers.conf (the part about the default printer) and just added it manually, ignoring the caveat not to edit the file while cupsd is running. That worked, the configuration now is persistent and the way I want it to be.

Regards and thanks again,
Kiril

QUOTE (helikaon @ Feb 26 2013, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (Kiril @ Feb 26 2013, 01:49 PM)

Kiril

Hi,
the gui tools may or sometimes may not work, but -

1. look (as root) in the:
vi /etc/cups/printers.conf
this is the printers config file - you should see those printers there, if not, add them

2. to add printer use 'lpadmin' command (as root) hav a look on the manpage - it never hursts ..
e.g. like this:
CODE

lpadmin -p printer-name -E -v socket://ipaddress-of-printer -D "descripriton-of-printer" -L "location-of-printer"

cheers,

PM
^
helikaon
 Posted: Feb 27 2013, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

SLF Administrator

Group: Admins
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Kiril @ Feb 26 2013, 08:50 PM)
Thank you Helikaon, you helped me on the way to get it sorted.

Specifically I looked in the /etc/cups/printers.conf (rw-------. 1 root lp on my system), the old setup was there.

Tried adding a printer along the lines of your second suggestion (after consulting the man page) - no change to /etc/cups/printers.conf.

Killed and restarted cupsd and added the printer again - the printer got added to  /etc/cups/printers.conf, however with a generic driver, when verified by the graphic tool

Used the graphical tool to select the specific driver and settings (a4 paper instead of Legal, draft mode etc.) and - oh joy - the configuration persisted after a reboot.

Tried to make the printer a default printer with the graphical tools - no persistency. Tried

lpadmin -d Laser_Jet_2100

as root - no change to  /etc/cups/printers.conf.

Did not bother killing / restarting cupsd, but googled the definition of printers.conf (the part about the default printer) and just added it manually, ignoring the caveat not to edit the file while cupsd is running. That worked, the configuration now is persistent and the way I want it to be.

Regards and thanks again,
Kiril

Glad it worked for you :] At least you know now, where the fun with the CUPs start :]]
cheers,

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll