Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Does JuNest Linux work well on SL?, JuNest is a user-level Arch distribution
avamk
 Posted: Aug 29 2017, 12:28 AM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 127

I recently stumbled upon JuNest, which claims to be a user-level Arch Linux "distribution" (which appears to work like Homebrew and MacPorts for Mac OS) that allows you to install - in a relatively isolated way - packages from Arch on top of other GNU/Linux distributions, including RHEL derived ones.

I'm actually more than satisfied running >90% of the default packages that come with SL 7+ with the EPEL enabled. However, at first glance it looks useful to use JuNest to install the few packages that aren't available with the default SL 7 plus EPEL repositories such as the latest Firefox or 32-bit Wine.

Has anyone tried JuNest (or are there similar solutions???) and know generally how well it works for you? I realised this is likely not an officially supported setup, but I'm curious!
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Aug 30 2017, 08:06 PM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

QUOTE (avamk @ Aug 29 2017, 01:28 AM)
I recently stumbled upon JuNest, which claims to be a user-level Arch Linux "distribution" (which appears to work like Homebrew and MacPorts for Mac OS) that allows you to install - in a relatively isolated way - packages from Arch on top of other GNU/Linux distributions, including RHEL derived ones.

I'm actually more than satisfied running >90% of the default packages that come with SL 7+ with the EPEL enabled. However, at first glance it looks useful to use JuNest to install the few packages that aren't available with the default SL 7 plus EPEL repositories such as the latest Firefox or 32-bit Wine.

Has anyone tried JuNest (or are there similar solutions???) and know generally how well it works for you? I realised this is likely not an officially supported setup, but I'm curious!

Haven't heard of it before until now, just tried installing it but the tar doesn't seem to be available or the webserver doesn't allow it:

wget https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/junest-repo/junest-x86_64.tar.gz 8 ↵
--2017-08-30 21:57:36-- https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/junest-repo/junest-x86_64.tar.gz
Resolving s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com (s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com)... 52.218.49.116
Connecting to s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com (s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com)|52.218.49.116|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2017-08-30 21:57:36 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

I use the install instructions from the readme on github, but that dropbox link on the official site doesn't seem to work either. Have you tried it? Other than that I'm not too interested in other distros than SL/fedora/, only other distros I have some interest in are Debian and Ubuntu.

--------------------
PM
^
avamk
 Posted: Aug 30 2017, 11:56 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (inittux @ Aug 30 2017, 03:06 PM)
Haven't heard of it before until now, just tried installing it...

...I use the install instructions from the readme on github, but that dropbox link on the official site doesn't seem to work either. Have you tried it? Other than that I'm not too interested in other distros than SL/fedora/, only other distros I have some interest in are Debian and Ubuntu.

I used the git clone method (I think "method 1" in the instructions) and it worked for me... However after installing some programs such as Firefox and trying to start them I get some dependency errors... I've asked for help on its gitter we'll see what happens there.

Where did you git clone to?? I cloned it to a dedicated directory under my user's home directory.

Other than JuNest, how do you deal with situations where standard SL repositories or EPEL don't provide that one program you're looking for?
PM
^
inittux
 Posted: Aug 31 2017, 06:11 AM
Quote Post

SLF Geek

Member No.: 953

QUOTE (avamk @ Aug 31 2017, 12:56 AM)
QUOTE (inittux @ Aug 30 2017, 03:06 PM)
Haven't heard of it before until now, just tried installing it...

...I use the install instructions from the readme on github, but that dropbox link on the official site doesn't seem to work either. Have you tried it? Other than that I'm not too interested in other distros than SL/fedora/, only other distros I have some interest in are Debian and Ubuntu.

I used the git clone method (I think "method 1" in the instructions) and it worked for me... However after installing some programs such as Firefox and trying to start them I get some dependency errors... I've asked for help on its gitter we'll see what happens there.

Where did you git clone to?? I cloned it to a dedicated directory under my user's home directory.

Other than JuNest, how do you deal with situations where standard SL repositories or EPEL don't provide that one program you're looking for?

I just tried to download the package from the link in their git instructions, didn't bother trying to clone it may try this weekend.

I just the epel and the nux desktop repository, it is mentioned in the link in my signature to the forum top about 3rd party repos SL. If I can't find them in those repos I use the search package link in my signature to see if they are in any repos there and if so check if I can trust the repo, and if I can't find the package in any trusted repo I will on rare occasion compile it from source.

--------------------
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll