Scientific Linux Forum.org

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Problems installing SL 6.3 on Samsung N120, Installation media is recognized as sda1
Aron
 Posted: Jul 23 2013, 02:02 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2628

Hi together,

I've tried a SL 6.3 on my Samsung N120 Netbook (Intel Atom N270 1 GB Ram 160 GB HDD), but with the installation of the USB stick is always recognized as sda1, which causes considerable problems.
The hard drive is detected as sdc (sdb is the unused part of the stick) and it is not possible to install the bootloader on this disk.
So I can't install the SL on the netbook.

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Jul 23 2013, 11:32 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Hello Aron and welcome to Scientific Linux Forum,

I have encountered the same issue that you are experiencing. The workaround is during the install, when you come to the page that reads “ Which type of installation would you like?” (this is the page directly after the page that you set the root password on) choose “Use All Space” and check the box at the bottom that reads “Review and Modify Portioning layout”. The next page will let you select what media to install on by selecting the drive and clicking the arrow to move it to the right. You must also select the drive for the boot-loader. The procedure for rest of the installation is standerd.

Hope this helps,
PM
^
Aron
 Posted: Jul 26 2013, 06:30 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2628

Hello AndrewSerk,

thanks for the fast answer, I've tried this way, but it does not work.
I always get this error message, after the page where I select the drive for the installation:

"The installer has tried to mount image #1, but can not find it on the hard drive.

Please copy the image to the disk and press 'Retry'. Press 'Exit' to abort the installation."

After the partitioning, it looks like some packages are copied to the hard disk, maybe it trys to open this packages and run in to an error because it goes to the wrong drive.

If I hit 'Retry' the same message comes again, there is no opportunity to intervene in the process and the 'Exit' button restarts the computer.

The hardware is ok, because I installed another distribution on it bevore, just to exclude this error.

Does anyone know what to do?

PM
^
tux99
 Posted: Jul 26 2013, 08:35 AM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Member No.: 224

Do you have a USB CD/DVD drive? If yes then try installing from CD/DVD, that should work fine.

--------------------
My personal SL6 repository, specialized in audio/video software: http://pkgrepo.linuxtech.net/el6/
(can be used together with EPEL and ELRepo repositories) - repository mirror: http://linuxsoft.cern.ch/linuxtech/el6/
PM
^
AndrewSerk
 Posted: Jul 26 2013, 01:06 PM
Quote Post

SLF Moderator

Member No.: 54

Hello Aron,

How did you create the USB install media?
I just did some testing here to double check the info I have posted in this thread and things worked fine here.

I used "livecd-iso-to-disk" to create the USB install media from the install DVD with a command like:
CODE
livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr SL-64-i386-2013-03-18-install-DVD.iso /dev/sdb

I did the install as I described in post #2 and had no issues.

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll