Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Change GDM Theme, How to change GDM Theme in SL6
dwtj01
 Posted: Jul 18 2011, 05:54 PM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 204

Does anyone know how to manually change the default GDM theme in SL6, or if there's a "Login Screen" program like in Fedora? Thanks, and since this is my first post here, I'd like to say after years of searching for the right OS, I finally settled on SL. Stable, fast updates, and great community!

Dave
PMEmail Poster
^
joutlan
 Posted: Jul 18 2011, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

Welcome to the SLF dwtj01 ! Looks you came to the same conclusion that we did smile.gif

I can't think of it off the top of my head, but I've changed GDM themes many times. It's not very complicated. I'm working now, but will get back to this if someone else doesn't chime in.

EDIT: Just google it...it's more of a gnome issue than a SL one.

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
Brad55
 Posted: Jul 18 2011, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

SLF Junior

Member No.: 313

This is how to do it in Fedora.

CODE
While this is a great improvement, it also means that all the previous method of setting your own boot screen and login screen is no longer valid. For those who are not happy with the default boot and login screen, here is how you can change them in Fedora 14. At this moment, there is no GUI to handle this, so everything has to be done via the command line. Follow closely and you’ll be fine.
Changing the login screen

1. Move your favorite login wallpaper to your Home folder. Make sure that it is of .JPG format.

2. Move the wallpaper to the system wallpaper directory. In the terminal:

sudo mv ~/your-wallpaper-name.jpg /usr/share/backgrounds

3. Activate the Appearance window upon login

sudo cp /usr/share/applications/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow

4. Close the terminal. Log out of your current session. At the login screen, the Appearance window will show up. Go to the background tab and select your favorite wallpaper as the background. (If you can’t find your favorite wallpaper, click Add. You should be able to find your wallpaper in the /usr/share/backgrounds directory).

5. Your login background will instantly change to the wallpaper you have selected. Now login to your desktop.

6. Open a terminal. Type the following command to deactivate the Appearance window upon login.

sudo unlink /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop

--------------------
I have A Momentary Lapse of Reason | Learning to Fly <and looking for> Signs of Life <after> The Dogs of War <have had> One Slip, On the Turnning Away <but> Yet Another Movie <and> A New Machine <with> Terminal Frost <and> Sorrow.
PM
^
dwtj01
 Posted: Jul 19 2011, 02:54 AM
Quote Post

SLF Newbie

Member No.: 204

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try your suggestions adn report back on how it goes.
PMEmail Poster
^
krachbumm
 Posted: May 16 2013, 12:38 PM
Quote Post

SLF Member

Member No.: 1961

The howto posted by Brad55 works fine for me. thx

Additionally I changed my lock-screen background:
* change the GNOME screensaver lock screen background:
CODE
sudo gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --set /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename --type string /path/to/file.jpg

* Revert the changes
CODE
gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --unset /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename

source

PM
^
joutlan
 Posted: May 17 2013, 05:48 AM
Quote Post

SLF Inceptor

Group: Admins
Member No.: 1

Thanks for the info!

--------------------
DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
Nexus 4 //Android
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll